Need help finding the right springs - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Broked

Need help finding the right springs

Hey everybody, I’ve finally suffered long enough with springs that are way to stiff. I’m looking to replace them with the proper rate springs. Is there a list or discussion of some sort that has aftermarket lift springs and there rates?

I’m currently running 3.5 rockkrawler front springs. (Which I would not recommend due to one sagging after about 3 years of daily dirt road driving)
And 3 in. Nth degree rears.

My heep is a bare bones 4 cylinder with just about everything but essentials removed. My guess is it weighs roughly 2600-3000 lbs. even with full cage, winch, 8.8 rear, ax15 trans and 33s.

Did some calculation on the F-O-A Coilovers site. Looks like 101-109 lbs is what I need roughly. Does this sound right?

Any recommendation?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 09-04-2019, 09:55 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There are some additional factors that impact ride quality. What brand shocks are on your rig, tire load ratings, and tire pressure.

Poor ride quality could be something as simple as overinflated tires.
post #3 of 25 Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broked View Post
Any recommendation?
Fill out your profile and buy new shocks.
READ THIS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How far did you drive it with no shocks to see how stiff the springs actually were?
Quote:
I already asked the question but here is the problem with that scenario.

Unless you dialed in the ride height to be the same with the correct amount of shock travel, then the issue is not spring rate related, it is ride height related.

Put another way. If you take a heavier rate spring and put it on a rig that is lighter with a shock that is set up for a specific lift height, then the balance is off. What will happen when you encounter higher level events is the rear end will kick up faster and hit the end of the shock which tries to lift the axle off the ground and that will seem very harsh in ride quality.

If you take the same exact set-up and put a softer rate spring in that lowers ride height and brings the shock travel back into balance, then the ride improvement is from the travel of the shock being utilized better and not from the softer spring.

I also find it very odd that we can swap a different rate spring in without making any other adjustments. I've yet to see springs with these different rates that didn't also produce a different ride height. What am I missing about these springs?
Quote:
I think a bunch of this gets easier to understand if you have run a shock like a Rancho 9000 on a moderate weight rig and then played with the various settings.

While they are not a go fast performance shock, they will teach you in short order exactly what function a shock has when it comes to ride quality.

You can go from soft and squishy to the ride quality of a log wagon with the turn of a dial.

For the record, my opinion of Bilstein has probably irritated more folks than should be legal and I just use their opinion of them as a barometer to show how well they judge ride quality.
Quote:
If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

Small event harshness is quite annoying to me.

Quote:
I don't care which you care about the most. What I cared about was the example given "I only changed springs and went from harsh to plush" when I have yet to see two different rate springs give the exact same ride height.

When I pointed out the glaring discrepancy in the logic and asked for examples, they weren't very forthcoming as in not at all.

Since no one stepped up with the before and after measurements and where their shocks were in the stroke range, the only conclusion that can be drawn is that it was NOT just changing springs that affected the ride quality, but fixing what was wrong with the previous relationship.

And then we get the "Oh I'm so glad I didn't listen because now I have a perfect riding rig and all I did was swap the springs" which only perpetuates the ignorance.

From now on, my answer will be to order all the springs you can get your hands on and keep swapping them in until you get what you're after because that's all that matters anyway.
Quote:
If you take a 9" stroke shock that is off balance with 7" of shaft showing at ride height, it's going to ride like crap. If you put springs in that lower the ride height by even 1", the ride will improve noticeably but not because the spring is better riding, the suspension has more travel before it tries to yank the axle off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 25 Old 09-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stock springs range from 130-160.

101-109 seems low, but I do not have experience with a TJ as light as yours. You sure about the weight?
post #5 of 25 Old 09-05-2019, 12:19 PM
RDBills
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broked View Post
. . . My heep is a bare bones 4 cylinder with just about everything but essentials removed. My guess is it weighs roughly 2600-3000 lbs. even with full cage, winch, 8.8 rear, ax15 trans and 33s. . . .

. . . Any recommendation?
My recommendation would be to weigh your jeep on a public scale rather than guess. It takes just minutes and costs only a few dollars.

The curb weight of a '99 Wrangler SE with four banger is 3,060# so even though "everything but essentials" has been removed from your jeep, I would wager that it still weighs more than 3,060# with a full tank of gas, winch, roll cage and larger tires. If forced to be more exact, my guess would be 3300-3400# based on the description above.

Mr. Bills
KG6LMV

'06 Jeep "LJ" Rubicon
post #6 of 25 Old 09-06-2019, 07:19 PM
LJWrangler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

F-150 front springs work for a 4in lift, I used crown vic rear springs on my LJ gave it a nice ride, There's a guy from Co on here that has a pretty good spring listing for LJ's cant remeber who but he had swapped out alot till he found the "correct" ride

SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM
RDPrimeaux

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
If your springs are holding your jeep's ride height where you want it, look at changing out your shocks

Hell, remove your shocks and ride around the block then see if you think your springs are too stiff.

2006 LJ Rubicon 4.88 33 RCV
post #8 of 25 Old 09-09-2019, 05:45 PM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
This is a shock problem, not a spring problem. And there are no off the shelf TJ coils with that low of a spring rate.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
F-150 front springs work for a 4in lift...
Spring rate is way too high for a TJ, especially a light one.

F150 spring rates range from 300-600 lbs/inch.
post #10 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 AM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Spring rate is way too high for a TJ, especially a light one.

F150 spring rates range from 300-600 lbs/inch.
OUCH! I'll never understand why people "cheap out" and swap parts from other vehicles into TJs. SO MANY new parts with better quality for CHEAP!

Quality doesn't mean extreme prices. My post of some Currie 'Chinese made' products makes this so real.
Ironhead likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #11 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 10:11 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
OUCH! I'll never understand why people "cheap out" and swap parts from other vehicles into TJs. SO MANY new parts with better quality for CHEAP!
x2. if $100 for a pair of springs is too expensive, maybe a jeep isnt the right vehicle for you
TheBoogieman likes this.

post #12 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 11:42 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post

Quality doesn't mean extreme prices. My post of some Currie 'Chinese made' products makes this so real.
It's far better to use American made steering that doesn't fit and perform as well as the Chinese Currie junk. 😉

2003 Rubicon

post #13 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 11:43 AM
jjvw
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
F-150 front springs work for a 4in lift, I used crown vic rear springs on my LJ gave it a nice ride, ...
What are the free lengths of the F150 and Crown Vic coils?

2003 Rubicon

post #14 of 25 Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 PM
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBills View Post
My recommendation would be to weigh your jeep on a public scale rather than guess. It takes just minutes and costs only a few dollars.

The curb weight of a '99 Wrangler SE with four banger is 3,060# so even though "everything but essentials" has been removed from your jeep, I would wager that it still weighs more than 3,060# with a full tank of gas, winch, roll cage and larger tires. If forced to be more exact, my guess would be 3300-3400# based on the description above.
This. I took some old parts to the local metal recyclers and was shocked to find my Sahara weighs in at 4100 with a frameless soft top, a tank of gas, and me. I have bumpers, rock sliders, a winch, exogate and 32s on aluminum wheels.

But yeah, your issue is more likely shocks.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #15 of 25 Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
What are the free lengths of the F150 and Crown Vic coils?
I don't know the exact # for the F-150 free length, but since it's a stiffer spring, it's going to be shorter than a 4" lift TJ coil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in