Need help changing out lower control arm bushings? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
97TJosh

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need help changing out lower control arm bushings?

First off, I DON'T want hate comments on how I'm running ProComp lower control arms with bushings at both ends. Yes I know it doesn't flex as well as joints and has the risk of tearing off the control arm mounts. When we bought the Jeep this is the lift it had on it, and I don't have the cash to spend on 2 pairs of new arms.

Anyways, I need help. I was wondering what do I have to do in order to change out the bushings? Do I need to lift the Jeep and rest the frame on jackstands? Do I need to take off the tires and rest the axle on stands? Can I just go at it without putting anything on jackstands but do one arm at a time? What is the prep work? Thanks,

- Josh

Here is a picture of the arm

and the f'd up bushings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love CODMW2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM
F9K9
Web Wheeler

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJosh View Post
.........Anyways, I need help...............
You are going to get all kinds of responses to "the best way". I would leave it on the ground and I work with one control arm at a time. Two bottle jacks with one under the spring bucket works for me. If, your junk isn't lining back up when you you reinstall the CA then you use the bottle jacks to apply pressure where you need it.

This works for me and all my work is done on an off camber, unlevel drive way.

For those who have fought for it, FREEDOM has a taste that the protected will never know."

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-15-2010, 07:20 PM
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

you can remove the control arms without jacking up the jeep. I use the basic wrenches, and if needed a prybar to move the axle around. I only remove one at a time tho.

I know how to change stock bushings, but Im not sure about those. I might be changing out some this week, since my rear upper arm bushings are shot, and they are new adjustable arms. All of the bushings in the stock arms are still good and its a 97...

Im curious as to what your saying about ripping mounts off with bushings instead of something else like a jonny joint or flex joint. Is that a common problem? Im wondering if this might be a cause of why my bushings are toast after 4 months..

My Build
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rs4races-build-957569/

post #4 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
97TJosh

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Got one side fixed. I had to cut the LCA bolt off because for some reason 4WheelParts installed it so if you try to take it out it hits the brake drum. So instead of having to take off the drum I just cut the head of the bolt off and slid it out the other side. I put the frame on stands just to take some weight off of things. Well here's some pics of like the old bushings, the old crush sleeve, and installed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love CODMW2
post #5 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 PM
BlueFlame

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
Im curious as to what your saying about ripping mounts off with bushings instead of something else like a jonny joint or flex joint. Is that a common problem? Im wondering if this might be a cause of why my bushings are toast after 4 months..
Because a flex joint at one end of the arm lets the arm ends swivel independantly when one side of the axle droops and the other end stuff. (Factory arms are just flexible and they whole arm twists.) A solid fixed arm with only urethane bushings at both ends put huge stresses on the bushings and just destroys them quickly, and severe flexing can actually bend or tear off the flimsy near-sheet metal mounts from the frame since urethane is so stiff. If I had fixed arms I'd rather have rubber bushings that flex more.

|
|
post #6 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 08:23 PM
viperbluelx

1980 CJ7 

Can you add a Johnny Joint to a fixed length pro-comp arm like shown above?

04 Rubicon, 5.5" RE LA with Tri-link, 35" KM2, 4.88's
post #7 of 9 Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 PM
nickfast
1996 ZJ 

OP, what bushings and sleeves did you use?

Nick
post #8 of 9 Old 09-24-2010, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
97TJosh

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickfast View Post
OP, what bushings and sleeves did you use?

Nick
Ordered a direct replacement by ProComp from my local 4WheelParts. Cost about $90 for all the lower control arms.

I love CODMW2
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Mcb2600

Lower arms

I have the same set on my ZJ and I'm need of new bushing what are
The name of this still procom arms and where can I find the bushings????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in