Need advice about axles and gearing! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
WillysJeep22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Need advice about axles and gearing!

Hello everyone! I'm going to start off by thanking everyone in advance for any advice or input given . So here's my situation. I have an 04 jeep wrangler x, straight 6 4.0, 5 speed. I have a 3" BDS suspension lift with a transfer case drop, sway bar discos, 33x12.5 pro comp extreme AT... ect. Now here's my plan, since I have the awful 3.07 gearing and a D35, I intend to regear to a 4.56 or 4.10 (still on the fence but leaning towards 4.56), front and rear Detroit truetrac LSDs, and upgrading the D35. Now I understand that superior is out of business, is there any other D35 upgrade kits that would be comparable? And is there anything else that I should also add or add to the wish list? This is my DD and I only do light to moderate wheeling. Just trails and minimal mud. Remember this is my DD so I'm not doing anything that increases the risk of a major disaster. Just want to be very capable. I'm not going to do a 8.8 swap and I'm not spending a fortune on a D44 (I've looked everywhere). There is a very very little chance I will go above 33s, and if I do it'll only be 35s. Oh, and is a SYE worth it? I have no problems at the moment on the road except a slight shimmy between 45-55 but only like 50% of the time. Quite strange that it happens sometimes and straight as an arrow the other. Again thanks again for any imput. Let me know if you have any questions on my setup.
-Will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeep22 View Post
Hello everyone! I'm going to start off by thanking everyone in advance for any advice or input given . So here's my situation. I have an 04 jeep wrangler x, straight 6 4.0, 5 speed. I have a 3" BDS suspension lift with a transfer case drop, sway bar discos, 33x12.5 pro comp extreme AT... ect. Now here's my plan, since I have the awful 3.07 gearing and a D35, I intend to regear to a 4.56 or 4.10 (still on the fence but leaning towards 4.56), front and rear Detroit truetrac LSDs, and upgrading the D35. Now I understand that superior is out of business, is there any other D35 upgrade kits that would be comparable? And is there anything else that I should also add or add to the wish list? This is my DD and I only do light to moderate wheeling. Just trails and minimal mud. Remember this is my DD so I'm not doing anything that increases the risk of a major disaster. Just want to be very capable. I'm not going to do a 8.8 swap and I'm not spending a fortune on a D44 (I've looked everywhere). There is a very very little chance I will go above 33s, and if I do it'll only be 35s. Oh, and is a SYE worth it? I have no problems at the moment on the road except a slight shimmy between 45-55 but only like 50% of the time. Quite strange that it happens sometimes and straight as an arrow the other. Again thanks again for any imput. Let me know if you have any questions on my setup.
-Will
The reason you have no vibes and question an SYE is because you have a TC drop. Wouldn't you like to improve your belly clearance?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 07:56 PM
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If it's on the road 90 percent of the time I wouldn't worry about the vibe if you don't care but yes a sye would be the way to cure that

post #4 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofakind View Post
If it's on the road 90 percent of the time I wouldn't worry about the vibe if you don't care but yes a sye would be the way to cure that
It would? He's describing a steering wobble not driveline vibes.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 08:00 PM
durango-bob

2006 WK 

The money that you spend on regearing, locking, and "upgrading" your D35 will just about pay of a drop in D44 built to your specs. I know that you said that you don't want to spend a fortune on a D44, but it's even worse spending it on a D35.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 08:02 PM
1ofakind
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar
It would? He's describing a steering wobble not driveline vibes.
Ooooops miss read that haha sorry
post #7 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
For 33s the true trac and quality 27 spline shafts will b fine.
But that is about $200 for gears, $400 true trac, $300 shafts.
U can get a d44 for under $900, but its limited slip is not as good.
Either will work fine for you. Price will should b the bottom line in this case.
The 35 beefed up will have better gound clearance, b lighter, with a better limited slip.
The 44 has a stronger ring and pinion, slightly stronger housing.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #8 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WillysJeep22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I'm not too worried about the vibration. So the SYE will only give me more ground clearance because I can raise my TC back to position? And like I've said, I've looked all over for a D44 and again too expensive and I'd still have to regear aand install the LSD. I've read the beefed 35 is comparable, if not stronger than a stock 44. And I'm not rock crawling so I really don't need all the strength in the world. I'm only running 33s. And where would you all recommend buying all this from? Is there somewhere I can kit all the gears and D35 axles together? Also what about brands? Thanks again for all your all's input.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 08:58 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
When Beefing the 35 many use what is called a super 35 kit.
it is a locker, 30 spline chromo shafts, and a special master install kit.
For brands look at ten factory, nitro, yukon, and alloy.
It will be around a grand.
There is no true trac for that kit though.
the super kit is offered with a detroit, arb, or ox lockers.
all fine products, but kinda overkill for u, and not as street friendly.

Buy a true trac and 27 spline 10 factory shafts.
Should be 650 to 750 for both.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #10 of 10 Old 08-29-2014, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
WillysJeep22
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK so I will only need to buy the poly crom shafts to help out the D35? And is it possible to increase the spline or will that even be necessary? And no I don't want to lock either axles. Well I would like to have selectable lockers but way to expensive for my budget and a bit unnecessary for my usage. I feel the truetrac is my best bet.

Tags
dana 35 , gearing , jeep tj , lsd , sye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in