Need advanced A/C help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
lblanchardiii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Need advanced A/C help

Replaced a leaking A/C line on my 1997 2.5L Jeep Wrangler. Bought the needed tools and R134a to recharge the system.

Hooked the manifold up to the lines (red high, blue low [they only fit one or the other anyway]).

Hooked the yellow (center) line up to the vacuum pump. Opened the low side (blue) and let the pump run for a long, long while. It's a 4 CFM (maybe 3.5CFM) pump so getting it to -30 hg took a while.

Once I got it to -30 hg, shut pump off and watched the gauge for around 10 minutes to ensure the pressure didn't rise to 0. Good to go.

Put the R134a tank on the electronic scale, hooked the yellow (center) line to the tank, bleed the air out the hose by barely unscrewing the hose from the manifold for a few seconds, zeroed out the scale and opened the low pressure side on the manifold and let 20oz of R134a flow into the system. Got to around 4 or 5oz and was stuck, so I turned the jeep on, turned the ac on, and then it quickly went to around 20.5Oz before I shut the valve.

Disconnected all hoses.

Checked AC, still blowing hot air? Like, not even remotely cooled. One of the AC lines is sweating like a stuffed pig on the 4th of July weekend.
Pressure on the low side reads 50 PSI.

Discovered the high side quick connect I was using isn't working correctly, trying to get it on is a PITA and when it does get attached it leaks if it's not perfectly still. Bumping it, moving it, anything causes it to leak. (had to repeat the process above after discovering that, this time without hooking the high side up) New quick connects are coming.

What am I doing wrong?

Other information:
The line I had to replace was damaged by a cold air intake the previous owner had installed on the Jeep. One of the metal clamps rubbed the hard portion of the AC line (the line at the top of the AC compressor) creating a pin sized hole where all the freon leaked out. Haven't used the AC in about 3 years after that. Finally decided to go about fixing it. So I bought a new hose, replaced the hose and all the necessary tools to fix it.
AC manifold, vacuum pump, digital scale, ac line quick disconnect tools, R134a (30 lbs worth)

I just want cool AC and to learn a little something about an AC system in the process.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 10:19 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If your ac comp is running and the line in cold, maybe your blend door is stuck in the "heat" position.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #3 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
lblanchardiii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

How do I check that?

If you are saying what I think you're saying then I believe you may be right.

When I first turned the Jeep on and turned the AC on, the air was ambient temp (it was around 75F this morning) so it wasn't that hot, but the longer the Jeep ran the hotter the temp got which leads me to believe it was blowing through the heater core.

Is that what that means? If so, I'm guessing I need to look under the dash somewhere for the door?

post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 10:56 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Try this link

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
lblanchardiii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that does appear to be a problem.

I looked under the dash where the latch is. Moved the temperature slide cold to hot back to cold and it didn't move the part under the dash. If I manually move it one direction (guessing cold) and then move the slider to the hot position it'll move, but when I go back to cold it doesn't move again.

Bad cable or something on the switch part is broken? I'll have to take it apart and look.

Thanks for the help.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 11:25 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

so, if you put it in the cold position, do you get AC, cold air ??

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
lblanchardiii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, the air is much, much cooler. Searching for my thermometer so I can get a reading on how cool is it. Thanks for the help!
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
lblanchardiii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Air seems like it could be colder than what it's putting out. It's a warm day, not all that hot w/ rain. I think the outside temp has been around 80F most of the day. Using an IR thermometer I am seeing temps at the vents around 68F to 75F. Though the air does feel a bit cooler than that, so I'm thinking my IR thermometer batteries are dying. Will replace them. Not sure what the issue could be and I will not know the status of the AC system until my new quick connects come in since I can't connect to the high side without it leaking out ever where.

I'm thinking I didn't vacuum enough and there is still some air/moisture in the system. Only thing I can think of.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 02:16 PM
Blue2004TJ

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If the system has been open that long, you should also replace the filter/dryer. On those i believe it is in the accumulator(big silver thing where the lines go into the firewall)
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 04:17 PM
1Old_Crow

2003 TJ Wrangler 

When you move the mode lever, does the air coming out transfer from the defrost to the dash vents to the floor as you move the lever? If not, check the vacuum lines on the firewall above the center of the engine. A broken vacuum line will keep the actuators from working.

Wally Crow
ASE Master Auto Tech(ret)
'03 TJ Sahara
"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."
post #11 of 11 Old 08-01-2021, 05:54 PM
CTR
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I’m not positive on the pressures but I just had my a/c fixed again, a new line also and he told me that he could only get the pressure down to around 45 and he likes to see them below 40.

Last year I had it recharged also and it was much colder air, so he just said I’d need a new system to get it colder... I’ll just deal with it for now.

97 Wrangler SE auto, stock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in