Nasty clutch noise - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JFM626

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2021, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
BDS-NOLA

Nasty clutch noise

I already know Iím gonna have to drop the transmission to fix this problem but with that said. Iím wondering if any of yíall have ran into this problem before.

About 6 months ago, I replaced the original clutch, pilot and throughout out bearings myself In my 2004 TJ which only has about 105K miles. With a LUK clutch kit.

Iíve had zero issues with this Jeep. it almost runs like itís brand new.

About a week ago While exiting the highway, as I exited I push the clutch in @ABout 55mph, I slowed down into a sweeping curve while keeping The clutch disengaged ďfoot on clutch pedal pushed inĒ Not paying attention I still had it in 5th gear and I let the clutch out at around around 20mph. Not the end of the world, but The Jeep shuttered in shook for a second Since I still high gear at a low speed. so I push the clutch in and shifted into appropriate gear and let it out started moving again no big deal.

but
thatís when I started hearing this new knocking squeaking noise.

Whenever I push the clutch pedal in I hear this knocking noise and while Iím at low speeds I can hear the noise and a very lite squeaking. At high speeds I donít hear or feel anything.

Iím just trying to understand what could have happen and what it could be.
Iím not sure if the throwout bearing got jacked up or if itís the fingers of the pressure plate bent or moved or what.

With all the knowledge you all have
Maybe one of you have a much better idea of what Iím going to be up against when I pull this transmission in the coming weeks. Any pointers, tips or theories would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by BDS-NOLA; 09-19-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2021, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
BDS-NOLA

Here are some videos of the problem

post #3 of 4 Old 09-20-2021, 04:47 PM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just a WAG, but because the sound is loudest when the throw out bearing is in contact with the pressure plate (although there is still some noise when the pedal is released) I think you are correct in believing it is either the TOB or the pressure plate. Curious as to weather you used an all metal TOB when you installed the clutch.
BDS-NOLA likes this.

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything

post #4 of 4 Old 09-20-2021, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
BDS-NOLA

Yeah, Instead of using the throwout bearing with the plastic sleeve that came with the LUK Clutch kit. I ordered an all metal TO from national bearings and installed that instead.

I did read a handful of Amazon reviews yesterday on that TO from national bearings. some people were complaining that the bearing went out after X number of miles. But there where a lot of good reviews also, which is why I got that bearings in the first place.

The reason why I replaced the original clutch was because the original TO bearing was going out, but it sure the heck did not sound like this noise.

Iím sure the noise sounds worse than what the problem is, but man it sounds bad in real life. Itís still shifts fine into all gears so Iím sure the transmissionís good.

I guess when I pull the transmission Iíll know soon enough.

Iíll just go ahead and install the bearing that came with the LUK kit. If thatís what it is.

Iíll update this post with what I find in the coming weeks, just in case someone else runs into this mess in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in