Is my garage screwing me?? Parts & repair advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
gnbannister
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Is my garage screwing me?? Parts & repair advice

Hi,
firstly, excuse the length, but some explanation is needed.

I have a 2000 Wrangler 2.5se that failed it's MOT (UK car safety test) on several items; Steering column, rubber bushings, ball joints. They quoted me $1000 to fix it all, and most of that was just parts no labour. I was visiting the states anyway, so bought them myself after researching thoroughly each part, model number, referenced with jeep parts manual and through users on here.

When fitting they are now saying that the parts dont fit properly because theyre not official jeep parts (the ball joints are Crown, as are the rubber D bushings). I find this very hard to believe as i checked everything so many times, and concluded that Crown provide perfectly acceptable replacements.

The next day I get another call saying that whilst installing the new front up/low ball joints left side, the wheel bearing now has too much play and needs replacing! (no problem before the work started)

Not only that but they are quoting me £250 for the part ($350).

Again i have researched and although my garage are telling me its a wheel bearing and hub unit combined, i can only find that for the rear axel, and that for the front wheel it is only the bearing, which costs around £50 ($75) online.

I feel like they are fleecing me for all my money, and creating problems. The ball joints they took out looked (to the eye) fine, as did the rubber bushings :/

Im just scared that ive got myself into a big hole with buying this jeep (1.5yrs now)

I think this is the right part I need, for a front left side wheel bearing:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/front-w...ly-513158.html

but this is the part they are trying to get me to buy:
http://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p...2111884AB.html

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, im no mechanic

Thanks

George

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:26 AM
zdragontj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i'd take it to another garage and get a second opinion.
post #3 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Twistedtrax
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I would too.

post #4 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:50 AM
Vinman
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In my experience, most shops don 't like installing parts they didn't supply.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:57 AM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know very much at all about repairs and inspections and whether it's legal or not to work on your own vehicle but ball joints and hub bearings are a 2 hour job on a garage floor. The ball joints are the most frustrating but they're not hard and the removal/installation of the unit bearing shouldn't have affected the ball joints in any way unless they used something heavy to beat on it to separate it from the knuckle. In that way you'll damage probably the lower ball joint. It's only 3 bolts but they can rust in place pretty solid. I've used several methods to separate the hub from the knuckle and none of them cause any collateral damage.

Again not knowing the rules/laws across the puddle I don't know if the shop requires they use factory replacement parts or of aftermarket is fine. In a lot of instances aftermarket proves to be better than stock.

I recommend you doing it yourself over having a shop do it. But I agree with the previous person saying get a second opinion.

Crown ball joints are good, I installed some on Thursday last week. Aftermarket hub bearings are good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.
WyoTech West Sacramento - Graduated 8/19/2011

Back into my Jeep... finally.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 06:58 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
they cant make as much money marking them up, but $350 for a $75 part is crazy.

if at all possible, i'd say start learning to work on it yourself. i couldnt have afforded half of the upgrades i've done if i had to pay for labor and retail parts prices
post #7 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
This is very true as well. They make a profit on you twice. Once with the sale of their parts, and again with the labor. It's not illegal or immoral, just the way business works. Also don't expect a parts warranty through the shop if you didn't buy from them.

Quote:
Being right has nothing to do with arrogance. It's only perceived that way by those that are wrong.

post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Jeepster83
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post

they cant make as much money marking them up, but $350 for a $75 part is crazy.

if at all possible, i'd say start learning to work on it yourself. i couldnt have afforded half of the upgrades i've done if i had to pay for labor and retail parts prices
They aren't marking the $75 part up to $350. They're trying to sell a Mopar hub bearing that's $350.

Quote:

post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 07:32 AM
JFM626

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-inform...st-checks-list

I would say that, you may be taken advantage of, Take it to a different shop, post on a UK/Northern Ireland jeep site to find one that is familiar with TJ's. There is no regulation that says you have to use OEM parts. Your vehicle is old enough that it must have been inspected many times and there will be a record of the inspections on line. It may also tell where.

How can you trust an atom, they make up everything
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
gnbannister
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster83 View Post
I don't know very much at all about repairs and inspections and whether it's legal or not to work on your own vehicle but ball joints and hub bearings are a 2 hour job on a garage floor. The ball joints are the most frustrating but they're not hard and the removal/installation shouldn't have affected the ball joints in any way unless they used something heavy to beat on it to separate it from the knuckle. In that way you'll damage probably the lower ball joint. It's only 3 bolts but they can rust in place pretty solid. I've used several methods to separate the hub from the knuckle and none of them cause any collateral damage.

Again not knowing the rules/laws across the puddle I don't know if the shop requires they use factory replacement parts or of aftermarket is fine. In a lot of instances aftermarket proves to be better than stock.

I recommend you doing it yourself over having a shop do it. But I agree with the previous person saying get a second opinion.

Crown ball joints are good, I installed some on Thursday last week. Aftermarket hub bearings are good too.

Thanks everyone, i'll pay for the work they have done so far and take it elsewhere, not mention the bearings issue and see if they flag it. The biggest problem i have is no MOT means youre not allowed to drive it and your insurance is invalid, so im limitted to the garages in close proximity.

I'll update when i know more
post #11 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 08:33 AM
oldRodney
2001 WJ 

Contact a fellow who lives by you....MADDER THAN MAX.....
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 09:59 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The hub bearing to which you linked isn't a Wrangler part, rather, it's a rear hub bearing for a Jeep Commander. Per the FSM the correct part number for a 2000 RHD is V2506458AA, available as a genuiine MOPAR part online for $90-125 plus P&P.

Another vote here for finding another shop, and better yet still, learning to do the work yourself.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 13 Old 06-08-2015, 10:27 AM
72andsunny
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry, I can't be much help, except to say I understand the pain of owning an American vehicle overseas.

I found rockauto.com (look for a coupon!) to be very competitive for Chrysler parts. They will ship anywhere! It helps to put a larger order together, as shipping for the first item tends to be the most expensive.

Tags
bearing , help needed , tj , wheel , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in