My floor mats are soaked!!! - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-26-2020, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
TJ Booger

2003 TJ Wrangler 

My floor mats are soaked!!!

Drove the Jeep out to BC on the weekend and it was raining the whole time (3hours). The next morning, took it out for a boot and noticed the rear floor mat was soaking wet. The drivers side and cargo area at the back were both damp. Drivers side was dry. Do I have holes in the floor? I peeled the carpet back a bit and didnt see any rust or holes or anything but it got in somehow. Is this something that normally happens? Floor rusted out maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 PM
Greenducky55

2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a drain in the coal that can sometimes get clogged with leaves and mud. If plugged water pools up and into the air intake for the heater/AC and then goes onto the floor in the passenger side. Only other options is a leak in the top. Though could be coming from underneath Id doubt it would be that soaking wet.
TJ Booger likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-26-2020, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
TJ Booger

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenducky55 View Post
There is a drain in the coal that can sometimes get clogged with leaves and mud. If plugged water pools up and into the air intake for the heater/AC and then goes onto the floor in the passenger side. Only other options is a leak in the top. Though could be coming from underneath Id doubt it would be that soaking wet.
Yeah the backseat floor was "soaking" the other two were clearly damp. I thought something had spilled inside but there was nothing in the jeep. Top seems tight. No evidence of a leak. Had to come from the bottom or maybe the front as you suggested.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 11:09 AM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey did you find out how the water is getting into the rear floor yet? I seem to be having the same problem with the water building in the rear driver side.

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 12:16 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Water accumulating only in the rear footwell(s) is usually due to a leak at the mucket seal(s), while wetness in the cargo area is usually due to a leak at the bottom outer corner(s) of the rear window.
BlueFl.Wrangler likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 12:32 PM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes I saw that thanks. Where is that seal located?

2003 X, 5 speed, FT/RR bumpers by Eddie Reighard. JKS 1" body lift, JKS disco's, 2 1/2" Rough Country lift, 8k Warn, w/class 3 receiver FT & RR hitch. GA 8 rims riding 33's- GY Kevlar.
SOLD- 1985 CJ7 soft top , fiberglass body, 5" total lift258-6- Howell TBI, Full Roll cage.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 01:36 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Water accumulating only in the rear footwell(s) is usually due to a leak at the mucket seal(s), while wetness in the cargo area is usually due to a leak at the bottom outer corner(s) of the rear window.
That is exactly where mine leaked

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #8 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 01:56 PM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Now I see where your talken about. It took a few minutes searching. The part looks like it should be on the end of a bumper at first glance.

post #9 of 19 Old 07-07-2020, 02:07 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Nope
When you open the door- where the top seals to the tub
Attached Images

Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions

Winston Churchill
post #10 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Strangers
2000 TJ Wrangler 

LOL....maybe I'm just unlucky but it would be easier for me to tell you where it didn't leak. New door hinge pin bushings, new seal on the hardtop frame where the lift glass seats and the bottom of the lift glass seal. Plus a few dabs of clear rtv in a few places. I wish you luck when you look under the carpet on the passenger side floor board.....I got that problem fixed by removing the carpet so that the pooling water could be swabbed up. New mucket seals would be nice but for now, no leaks there so I ain't paying that kind of money them.

Me, Banditt, Tippie and ole Heep a long!
RIP Banditt 3/86 - 11/01
post #11 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 09:30 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangers View Post
New mucket seals would be nice but for now, no leaks there so I ain't paying that kind of money them.
$15-$20 a piece ? I'd say thats a pretty cheap price to get rid of a floor board carpet soaking-- every time it rains

Winston Churchill
post #12 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
TJ Booger

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Holy crap! looks like a lot of options for leak points. I only looked under the passenger side carpet so will take a closer look when I get out to BC this weekend and see if anything looks unusual. Might be hard to replicate 3 hours of highway driving in the rain.
Maybe water in the Jeep is just part of life? I dont seem to have water getting in when its just sitting.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 AM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Water getting inside the jeep is not " just part of life "-- If its leaking in the back and you have a HT-- its probably going to be the seals I talked about.
If its under the passenger floorboard its USUALLY one of two possibilities ( or even both ).

Winston Churchill
post #14 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 02:06 PM
PDoyle

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFl.Wrangler View Post
Nope
When you open the door- where the top seals to the tub
Yes, thank you. I'm using a soft top. Must be still leaking through there.
I might try to massage that rubber with 303 Protectant for now or something.
Ya $40.00 is alot for rubber.

post #15 of 19 Old 07-09-2020, 03:13 PM
BlueFl.Wrangler
Supporting Member

2002 TJ Wrangler 

$40 is not cheap for for two small rubber pieces-- but they are very thick and molded to fit
And its worth it to stop water coming in and getting your carpet wet every time it rains

Winston Churchill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in