LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-24-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
KamlakeinBC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mud in the Engine! help..

So, First post, needs some advice.
Here goes,
2003 Jeep TJ 4.0
Well i got the jeep in a little over its head this weekend, i ended up in a puddle deep enough that water was coming into the cab, (stuck) with the jeep still running (never shut it off) i winched myself out once out i noticed quite a lot of smoke coming from the tail pipe (white smoke) at the time i thought it was just burning oil from the steep side incline i was on from winching out of the ruts. (was not in deep enough to suck up through the intake)
I drove the girl home, wasn't running properly and i was only a mile or two from home so i nursed it home. (random cylinder misfire, still lots of white smoke)
Long Story Short, i believe i sucked in water/mud/sand mix up through the crank breather... so after three oil changes the oil is finally came out clean.
the first oil change i drained probably more than double the amount of oil necessary. (oily mud sludge) Obviously i would not have driven home knowing this...
BUT, now once the engine warms up my oil pressure gauge is fluctuating, (reads fine/normal until operating temperature)
The gauge will drop off to zero, and bounce between zero and 1/4 on the gauge (engine still misfiring)
Went for a simple fix on the misfire issue, and swapped the 6 plugs for new ones but still have a cylinder 5 and 6 misfire. according to code reader and the obvious rough running engine

I'm really hoping to get a handle on the oil pressure issue so that i can drive it to a shop and have them take a deeper look...
I've really run out of resources with my current living situation to dive in any further! (landlords weren't to impressed with the oil stain in the drive way!)

Well Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-24-2016, 07:43 PM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you talking about the crank case breather in the top of the valve cover? Isn't that above or about the same level as the intake horn? How did you confirm that no water was sucked into the intake?

Were the coil packs submerged?

Was the oil pressure sending unit submerged?

Oil pressure only depends on RPM. Even if the engine is misfiring and running rough, if the rpm is steady, the oil pressure will be steady. What is the oil pressure in psi if you hold the pedal at 1,000 rpm? That's easier to relate to than "1/4" of the gauge.

Is there any knocking?

97 TJ sport.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-24-2016, 07:50 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Plan on rebuilding your engine, use it as a learning experience.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

post #4 of 8 Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
KamlakeinBC
2003 TJ Wrangler 

this is all assumptions based on my findings, i was not in deep enough to submerge the intake. The jeep stayed running the hole time and the misfire did not start until the jeep was out of the puddle!
The jeep still starts up first crack, has immediate oil pressure, but piddles away once it reaches temperature, I'm gonna snag a manual wet gauge from work tomorrow and get an actual reading.
there isn't any serious knocking i can hear, though there is quite the tick, - assuming its the missing cylinders?
post #5 of 8 Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Doesn't sound good. Still trying to figure out how you contaminated it though. Leaky oil pan seal maybe?
post #6 of 8 Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Engine was ran with watery mud and sand mixed in with the oil, and now your oil pressure drops off to nothing when it gets to operating temp... sounds like your bearings are most likely shot to me. If that grit went to town on your cylinder walls and rings, then the resulting loss of compression would also explain the misfire.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 8 Old 10-27-2016, 11:57 AM
sardog12

Garage
This is exactly what happened to me and I had the same clue (oil pressure fluctuating) when it happened although it ran fine when I gave it gas. The bearings were bad and the engine was replaced. I could have had it rebuilt but it was quicker and easier to have it replaced.

GEAUX TIGERS
post #8 of 8 Old 10-28-2016, 05:36 AM
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Did the same thing. Bought a used engine, dropped it in, and called it a day. Doubtful you will be able to save it.

It's not an addiction. It's a way of life.

Tags
4.0 , misfire , mud , oil , oil pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in