Mopar Hutchinson beadlock wheels on LJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
red mistress
1983 CJ8 

Mopar Hutchinson beadlock wheels on LJ

I've been wanting to lift my LJ Ruby and been reading a lot on here.

My gosh what a wheel.... never seen it run on a TJ.

Wheel is for JK and has a crazy 6.25" BS.

I want to run BFG KM 37 X 12.50 X 17" with AEV Highline (already bought hi line) For my 2006 LJ Rubicon.

I'm guessing custom axle... help me think thru what all I need.

1. WMS of axles ?
2. JK unit bearings ?
3. Steering set-up ?
4. What size brakes ?
5. ARB air lockers work with Rubicon pump ?
6. Change mounts (springs, shocks & track bar) & where on axle ?
7. Any frame mount changes ?

67 Gladiator 15K AMC327 PTO Ramsey D44, D60 69 Jeepster deluxe Convertible Power 82 CJ-8 75K Renegade all original 83 CJ-8 50K 401 MPFI ARB60's front & rear winch 38" 84 CJ-7 38K Garnet interior, Jeep SE 8274, 8" x 33" 87 J20 36K Jeep SE Hidden winch, boat rack, 35" 2006 LJ Rubicon 3K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

TJ to JK wheel adapter/spacers

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #3 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
hustler905

2002 TJ Wrangler 

With 37s and a want to run those wheels (they are beautiful, I have seen them on a JK) why don't you swap in some JK44s and call it done?

That will simultaneously fix your bolt pattern and backspacing issue while adding some additional strength if you go for cr-mo axles. You will of course need new brackets for both the front and rear axles.

post #4 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM
JeepnBlake

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red mistress View Post
I've been wanting to lift my LJ Ruby and been reading a lot on here.

My gosh what a wheel.... never seen it run on a TJ.

Wheel is for JK and has a crazy 6.25" BS.

I want to run BFG KM 37 X 12.50 X 17" with AEV Highline (already bought hi line) For my 2006 LJ Rubicon.

I'm guessing custom axle... help me think thru what all I need.

1. WMS of axles ?
2. JK unit bearings ?
3. Steering set-up ?
4. What size brakes ?
5. ARB air lockers work with Rubicon pump ?
6. Change mounts (springs, shocks & track bar) & where on axle ?
7. Any frame mount changes ?
You'll definitely need to do something about the bolt pattern difference. A wheel spacer adapter might be just the ticket. Depending on the company you'll end up with 2.5-3" wider WMS to WMS.

2. Here is the info for the JK unitbearings. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...-knuclkes.html it's pirate

3. and 4. you'll want something better. Several options search on here
5. No, ARBs need a lot more PSI that the rubi pumps can muster.

6. and 7. Huge can of worms, and the possibilities are endless.

If you're really dead set on those wheels, and can handle some fab work, you might consider the JK axles themselves. That's is a large can of worms also.

-Blake-

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dad's Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:
post #5 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:01 PM
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I owned a set of these. Very nice wheels. 2 issues though, one is that they dont make them anymore, two is that the have too much backspacing.

I ended up selling mine and went a different direction.

BTW building an axle around a set of wheels is retarded. If you did anything I suggest building an axle that gets rid of unit bearings and then you couldnt use these wheels because there are provisions for a hub. Hutchinson makes some other really nice wheels though

Good luck

Heres My LJ Rubi with AEV highline ect:
post #6 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
red mistress
1983 CJ8 

Would wheel adapters work with 37" tires and 6.25 backspacing of wheels?
That sure would simplify things.
Just regear to 5:13's upgrade to RCV's and bigger brakes.

I kinda want to keep my OEM dash switches for the lockers. (modded for 4HI of course)

JK axles are electric.... so that would be mess of wiring.

I've thought long and hard and been studying but definitely need help thinking this out.

Here's a LJ stuck pic:

67 Gladiator 15K AMC327 PTO Ramsey D44, D60 69 Jeepster deluxe Convertible Power 82 CJ-8 75K Renegade all original 83 CJ-8 50K 401 MPFI ARB60's front & rear winch 38" 84 CJ-7 38K Garnet interior, Jeep SE 8274, 8" x 33" 87 J20 36K Jeep SE Hidden winch, boat rack, 35" 2006 LJ Rubicon 3K
post #7 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:07 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not really. With tires that big and your axles you need net backspacing down in the 3.75-4.0" area and most adapters are only going to reduce backspacing 1.25" area.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:18 PM
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes wheel adapters would work but I highly suggest you consider other options. Youd have to have 2' spacer/adapters. With the weight associated with the wheels and 37's -just dont. Do you personally know where a set of these wheels are for sale? like I said they dont make them anymore. Also the JK axles/lockers would be an easy swap and would be less wiring than your Air Lockers. So many things you couldl do with the jeep as it is without using JK stuff....

If youve got money to burn go for it.

BTW the pumpkinator build used JK axles and these wheels -Google the build

Quote:

I kinda want to keep my OEM dash switches for the lockers. (modded for 4HI of course)

I've thought long and hard and been studying but definitely need help thinking this out.

Here's a LJ stuck pic:

post #9 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
red mistress
1983 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWV247 View Post
I owned a set of these. Very nice wheels. 2 issues though, one is that they dont make them anymore, two is that the have too much backspacing.

I ended up selling mine and went a different direction.

BTW building an axle around a set of wheels is retarded. If you did anything I suggest building an axle that gets rid of unit bearings and then you couldnt use these wheels because there are provisions for a hub. Hutchinson makes some other really nice wheels though

Good luck

Here's my LJ Rubi with AEV highline ect:
Nice looking Ruby.

I'm dead set on using these Mopar wheels.
They are still available...just pricey!
I've seen the Rock Monster wheels.
My goal is staying sorta factory looking and interior function.

Building axles is not dumbest waste of Jeep money that I've ever spent.

Will the JK unit bearings hold up? I only put around 1000 miles a year on it.
Cruising around the swamp property and trip to CO trails. Nothing real extreme.

Definitely can handle fab work, but like everyone want to plan things... and read & listen to others thoughts.

Here's my first built Jeep a 1999 build. (it needs updating)
LJ build will be modern version of Scrambler.

post #10 of 39 Old 01-22-2014, 03:59 PM
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I dont think you understood what I was saying. Building a pair of axles around a certain wheel is dumb. So because you need all the info here goes:
Running a 37" tire has a few inherent flaws with the wheels you want to run. Im not going to talk about you running them on your current axles because you obviously want to do a swap. A JK axles swap on a TJ/LJ is a great swap for someone that will never go beyond a 37" tire. Of course the unit bearings will hold up with a 37" tire, youll get a bigger ring and pinion too. Jk stock wheels and axles under a LJ would give you a perfect amount of spacing for everything to work properly -with stock wheels. Youd have full range of steering from lock to lock, you can even outboard your rear shocks and run a longer shock which is beneficial. But when you use the hutchinson wheels youre looking at with a 37 1250 tire youre basically bringing the wheels into the Jeep by at minimum an 1" on each side. So you would loose full steering and the possibility of outboarding your shocks. You would have to buy wheels spacers. So all that work just to run spacers? If youve got money and want to build something clean and factory looking have a set of prorocks built or build some one tons yourself, buy the hutchinson wheels for GM trucks and bam youve accomplished the mission.

Last time I talked to Hutchinson they only had 2 or 3 of those wheels left and they werent making anymore and that was 2 years ago so I dont know where youre getting yours from but whatever. I bought my set of 4 off of a show Jeep for $1000. I was headed the same direction you are with yours. I even bought JK axles and the rear is still in my shed. Once I got everything figured out I realized it just wasnt worth the trouble. So please take my advice and learn from what I did. It doesnt cost you anything but it cost me my time and money

And just so you know I have 40's on my LJ. Once you put 37's under yours youll want bigger and youll be restricted by what you have. THere is so much wheel well left to fill when you do a highline. Im building a set of tons for 42's. If you do something right the first time youll never have to find time to do it again.

Heres some motivation for tons with GM wheels

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/compl...hed-111-a.html

BTW if your LJ has 3000 miles and youre thinking of hacking it up for a build youre crazy! I hacked up mine with 35000 miles and it still felt wrong.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-23-2014, 06:26 AM
MWV247
2005 LJ Wrangler 

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showt...on-JK-takeoffs

From the page:
"I used custom billet 2" spacer/adapters which I still have if anyone is wanting to get some of the cheap Rubi wheel takeoffs that are often on CL. I love this Hutchinson beadlock MOAB, but even with 2" spacers they still had too much backspace...the 37" MTR's rubbed everywhere."
post #12 of 39 Old 01-23-2014, 10:59 AM
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

1987 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Will the JK unit bearings hold up? I only put around 1000 miles a year on it.
Cruising around the swamp property and trip to CO trails. Nothing real extreme.
No. JK unit bearing dont work at all. The most produced jeep ever has unit bearing that don't work. No one told you because we were all keeping it a secret.

16 Taco
87 MJ Chief in pieces
Bought/Wheeled/Sold: 85 CJ, 79 FSJ, 05 LJ, 06 WK
post #13 of 39 Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
red mistress
1983 CJ8 

That silver Hemi LJ on Pirate looks great.... but I like your Red LJ with Mopar Beadlocks the best.

Guess Pro Rocks 6" wider than stock are answer.

post #14 of 39 Old 04-16-2014, 06:47 PM
2003Sahara
2013 JK Wrangler 

I say if you want them do what you want or your never gonna be happy. I'd put a set of spacers on them and call it a day.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

2013 JKUR Red Lobster
Michigan

ORJ4x4.com
post #15 of 39 Old 04-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Tinstar66
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here's a LJ stuck pic:

Cool pic! Your not really stuck are you?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in