MetalCloak Arched or Poison Spyder XC - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

MetalCloak Arched or Poison Spyder XC

I just about have the ol PayPal balance loaded up enough for my next mod.. Front Fenders.

Originally I was set on MC Arched fenders, but recently started thinking about the PSC XC High-Line.

MC Arched (Powder Coated with LED kit and shipped) roughly $887 and likely 4 weeks until delivery

PSC XC 3" (Raw Metal without LED and optional Vented Inner Kit shipped) roughly $859 and in stock.

I understand the difference in work and modification between the two. MC fenders will not require hacking/cutting relocation etc... as the High-Line approach will require.

Its not the work, but rather or not the extra work will be worth it in the end for my Jeep. Im sorta at a cross-roads.

I only started considering the PSC XCs because of my low lift and the thought of taking advantage of the weee bit more clearance gained over the MCs using a High-Line fender... and the fact I can get those now and not have to wait until next month. But I will still have to pay more for painting/coating, LED markers... etc..

I am using 2.5" RC springs and actually ridding more so in a 3" range. There is no question that 35" tire and High-Lines will work.. but I wonder about 35" tire and MC arched fender.

What are some thoughts from those who have installed either one of those fenders?

Other suggestions ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:37 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe the XCs give you more than a wee bit more clearance. In addition to raising the fender line they open up the wheel well.

I believe MC materially exaggerates the gains from the arched fenders. Then there are the aesthetics of the arched fenders. Personally, not my thing.

XCs are one of only two fenders I would run. You don't see them much though as the hood work/replacement scares away a lot of people.
post #3 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:44 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The MC fenders don't actually move up the flat part of your fender (where the hood sits).
Much more clearance gained from the PS XCs.
Don't forget that you also have to buy the inner fender kit to go with the XCs. (or make your own)
And, as stated, you will have to buy a hood or cut yours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
I believe the XCs give you more than a wee bit more clearance. In addition to raising the fender line they open up the wheel well.

I believe MC materially exaggerates the gains from the arched fenders. Then there are the aesthetics of the arched fenders. Personally, not my thing.

XCs are one of only two fenders I would run. You don't see them much though as the hood work/replacement scares away a lot of people.
Yeah... I feel ya on the aesthetics. I'm not scared to cut my hood etc.. but just wonder how many gotchas I might run into. I found a few somewhat decent write-ups and it doesn't seem to much of a challenge but rather just a time consuming job.

One good point made by someone in another thread was.. the XCs have no "choice" on fender flare where as MCs you can run without a flare and if you are driving thru a state that requires flares etc.. you can slap a flare on in a few minutes. A good point.. but I have no Clue if I would be visiting such states that have strict tire coverage laws.
Alaska-HWY JK likes this.
post #5 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I tried to call Sales at PSC twice now to find out the weight difference between the Steel and Aluminum. I am curious as to how much one weighs over the other... with low lift springs one thought was to use the Aluminum to counter act additional weight from bumper + winch.. but if compared to stock its minimal difference.. then I should be ok with the lower cost steel variety?
post #6 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:51 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm the wrong one to ask that question.
If I can get something in aluminum I'm going to do it.
I hate freaking rust!

I have been eyeballing the PS XC DeFender 3" tapered flare aluminum version for a long time.
Just been too cheap to do it...

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #7 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:56 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grininmonkey View Post
One good point made by someone in another thread was.. the XCs have no "choice" on fender flare where as MCs you can run without a flare and if you are driving thru a state that requires flares etc.. you can slap a flare on in a few minutes. A good point.. but I have no Clue if I would be visiting such states that have strict tire coverage laws.
A non-issue. If your vehicle is legal in its state of registration you do not need to worry about other states you may be transitting.
post #8 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
A non-issue. If your vehicle is legal in its state of registration you do not need to worry about other states you may be transitting.
I have heard it both ways, but havn't cared enough to actually look at authoritative information.. Im in South Carolina, so as long as you have working Brake Lights and a seat belt.. its legal.
Deanpowers likes this.
post #9 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 01:23 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have heard it both ways, but havn't cared enough to actually look at authoritative information.. Im in South Carolina, so as long as you have working Brake Lights and a seat belt.. its legal.
It is not a question. That reciprocity among states is part of the foundation of the country. You may find LEOs in the wrong mood who will write the ticket, but it will never hold up.
post #10 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I'm the wrong one to ask that question.
If I can get something in aluminum I'm going to do it.
I hate freaking rust!

I have been eyeballing the PS XC DeFender 3" tapered flare aluminum version for a long time.
Just been too cheap to do it...
Yeah... roughly 200 buck difference between steel and aluminum... and the tapered is the exact one I am eyeballing myself.

If I get aluminum.. I can put of painting it for while right
post #11 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 02:48 PM
Superjay5
1983 CJ7 

I've been looking at doing the XC's also.

Two things that I have found, not sure if you are aware, but will add to cost.

Your stock airbox will not fit, so you need to go with a CAI of some sort...

Also It doesn't look like the stock windshield wiper fluid container will fit either, so a small one will need to be sourced.

It looks like you can retain the stock hood latches. I would prefer to just go with hood pins though.
post #12 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjay5 View Post
I've been looking at doing the XC's also.

Two things that I have found, not sure if you are aware, but will add to cost.

Your stock airbox will not fit, so you need to go with a CAI of some sort...

Also It doesn't look like the stock windshield wiper fluid container will fit either, so a small one will need to be sourced.

It looks like you can retain the stock hood latches. I would prefer to just go with hood pins though.
At first I thought it would be nicer to have the hood pins.. but then you are left with an empty dent where the latches where.. but that's just OCD I think..

I will try to find the thread, but one fella got the stock air box to work by simply removing the cone, but I have thought about doing the air filter in the center/middle vent near the windshield thing as well.

The windshield fluid thing I knew about... but haven't researched what the replacement that would work... would be.

EDIT: This guy was able to re-use the stock air box: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/po...stall-2119161/
post #13 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 03:06 PM
4lowco
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think the aluminum is the way to go. Here's how I setup my engine compartment. The washer fluid is from a cherokee and it accepts two pumps so my hard top washer still works.
Attached Images

post #14 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 03:07 PM
Superjay5
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
At first I thought it would be nicer to have the hood pins.. but then you are left with an empty dent where the latches where.. but that's just OCD I think..

I will try to find the thread, but one fella got the stock air box to work by simply removing the cone, but I have thought about doing the air filter in the center/middle vent near the windshield thing as well.

The windshield fluid thing I knew about... but haven't researched what the replacement that would work... would be.
Good deal, just things to add to the cost of it all. I figured to go the XC route its gonna be close to $1,000 when you are all said and done with it. Throw in some paint if you go that route and it can climb even higher depending if you have the ability to paint or not.

This is prolly my next upgrade also. So I have been researching away...

I don't mind the small indents left from the latches in the hood, at least it removes the holes. Poison Spyder mentions that the stock hood latches can be retained, just looking at pictures I just don't see how. I have yet to see a picture of someone using stock latches. I get your OCD though.... I may have a little of my own.

They do make a nice edge molding that has glue inside, you can trim the cut end of your hood to finish it off a little nicer. I believe the company is called trim guard. They do have it in a lot of colors I believe, they may have one that matches the color of your jeep.... depending on color
26679cj5 likes this.
post #15 of 74 Old 06-03-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lowco View Post
I think the aluminum is the way to go. Here's how I setup my engine compartment. The washer fluid is from a cherokee and it accepts two pumps so my hard top washer still works.
XJ or SJ Fluid Tank?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in