2Likes
  • 1 Post By jjvw
  • 1 Post By OJack

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-21-2020, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Markeje74
2004 LJ Wrangler 

MCE Flat Fenders

I am considering these for my LJ. I like the fact that there is no cutting on the inner fender and no relocation of anything on the inside. I also do like that they are plastic as long as they hold up for a few years. I do not hard core wheel this jeep. Just level 2 & 3 trails. Running Q78's and Raceline Beadlocks. 5.25" of lift on MC short arms.
Anyway, for those that have ran them or do run them..what is your opinion so far far? They're running $400 for a full set, front & rear. Any info or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

04 LJ-White-Auto-4.88/33" KM2's-5.5"Lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-21-2020, 06:13 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I was one of the first testers of MCE's fenders and liked them fine. But to me, the cost of them is absolutely crazy high for what you get.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 15 Old 03-22-2020, 06:08 AM
fromme

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Aren't these just flares? I don't think they are fenders.
But since you want opinions, I don't like them and think the price is astronomical. Why do you want them? Looks?

2003 TJ Rubicon, 3" Zone lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, 4.88s, Warn Zeon 8S winch

post #4 of 15 Old 03-22-2020, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Markeje74
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Running Q78 and 15x8 3.75 BS Beadlocks. Need a little extra room (which I know is minamul) and the flat look.
As I said, I like that with these there is no cutting up the inners and moving anything, like a lot of the metal versions out there. Plus, I will not be dumping this LJ on the rocks. Just 2-3 level type trails. Not rock gardens. $200 for the front pair isn't bad to me imo. So cost is not a issue. And if I actually get to the point where this LJ is in a rough enough condition.. where I don't care, then there is still all the material on the steel fender left over to go with PS, Genright or whatever.

I'll edit this to say that one of my issues is that I see all of these other fender installs from Smitty to PS & Genright and I see these gaps that are left on the inner fender well. Is that just ****ty work or is this common? to add an inner adds to the cost to about a grand on some of these. Can these fenders be installed and the inner is sealed back up and look good?

post #5 of 15 Old 03-22-2020, 09:19 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromme View Post
Aren't these just flares? I don't think they are fenders.
But since you want opinions, I don't like them and think the price is astronomical. Why do you want them? Looks?
The fronts are flares that require trimming the stock outer fender back to the hood line. The inner fender and rear wall stay stock. The rear bottom leg of the flare has a break a way feature that saves them when dragged across the rocks.

The rears are just flares, but they do have a more extensive full break a way feature similar to the front.

The cost people are taking about these days is $400 for all four corners. This is about half price from what we have been seeing them for many years. And a described above, they are more than your average flare.

20200314_230858_1584890352671.jpg
20200130_143717_1584890448166.jpg
a48jeep likes this.

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 03-22-2020, 09:30 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markeje74 View Post
Running Q78 and 15x8 3.75 BS Beadlocks. Need a little extra room (which I know is minamul) and the flat look.
As I said, I like that with these there is no cutting up the inners and moving anything, like a lot of the metal versions out there. Plus, I will not be dumping this LJ on the rocks. Just 2-3 level type trails. Not rock gardens. $200 for the front pair isn't bad to me imo. So cost is not a issue. And if I actually get to the point where this LJ is in a rough enough condition.. where I don't care, then there is still all the material on the steel fender left over to go with PS, Genright or whatever.

I'll edit this to say that one of my issues is that I see all of these other fender installs from Smitty to PS & Genright and I see these gaps that are left on the inner fender well. Is that just ****ty work or is this common? to add an inner adds to the cost to about a grand on some of these. Can these fenders be installed and the inner is sealed back up and look good?
Clearance gains are minimal. With a 35", the front tire is going to mash into the rear wall of the stock inner fender at full flex, not quite full steering lock, the same way it would on the stock full fender.
Move the rear wall and the tire clearance will improve greatly.

20200216_141906_1584891079929.jpg

20200216_145327_1584891130814.jpg

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Markeje74
2004 LJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=jjvw;40909405]The fronts are flares that require trimming the stock outer fender back to the hood line. The inner fender and rear wall stay stock. The rear bottom leg of the flare has a break a way feature that saves them when dragged across the rocks.

The rears are just flares, but they do have a more extensive full break a way feature similar to the front.

The cost people are taking about these days is $400 for all four corners. This is about half price from what we have been seeing them for many years. And a described above, they are more than your average flare.

Thanks man. Are those the 4.5"?

Ya, I think I am going to give them a go and see how I like them for a while. Worse case, my bro wants them for his LJ. Then, I'll do something different, like MC, Gen or PS. Hopefully, I can get em quick. Give me a little project during the lock down here in IL.

post #8 of 15 Old 03-23-2020, 05:29 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Those are 4.5". Understand that if these don't work the way you need, Metalcloak won't be any better. Once you cycle the axle to see where the clearance issues are you will see that they effectively accomplish the same thing. The best functional highline out there is going to be GenRight.

2003 Rubicon

post #9 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 07:53 PM
a48jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
My MCE have been going strong for more than 6 years now. Durability wise I don't think they can be beat. In the front, with some fender seam adjustment (BFH), some rear tire clearance can be had, but as mentioned above, tires will contact still stock inner fender when compressed and turned. I love the looks of mine and am always impressed when they flex back into position after rubbing against a tree. I get lots of compliments on them too! I do have a little bias, as I drive one for the former, company owner's rigs.

Daily driven, stretched TJ with 108" wheel base.
post #10 of 15 Old 03-27-2020, 09:28 PM
shyoung1
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Are people using JK turn signals with these MCE fenders?
post #11 of 15 Old 03-28-2020, 08:14 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyoung1 View Post
Are people using JK turn signals with these MCE fenders?
Among other options, yes.

2003 Rubicon

post #12 of 15 Old 04-03-2020, 11:30 AM
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had these for years and loved the look of them and they seemed sturdy enough.

But once they started to fall apart, they fell apart quick. Reached out to the company due to their "warranty" and got crickets in reply.

USMC 2006-Present
2000 TJ - some stuff
post #13 of 15 Old 04-04-2020, 10:11 AM
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfuzzy View Post

But once they started to fall apart, they fell apart quick. Reached out to the company due to their "warranty" and got crickets in reply.
Pics? How long from new did they take to fall apart? What does fall apart mean?

2003 Rubicon

post #14 of 15 Old 04-04-2020, 10:48 AM
OJack

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
I would like to hear more about this too. I've had mine for 4-5 years, have ripped the rear off a couple times wheeling, no big deal, but they are not falling apart. I did use JK turn signals, BTW.

You do gain a little clearance with them.
Attached Thumbnails
49686197_2071805156246876_3749228869966626816_o.jpg  
a48jeep likes this.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-05-2020, 03:07 PM
djfuzzy
Web Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfuzzy View Post

I don’t have pics or anything easily accessible, I’ve been running MetalCloaks for about five years now after I got rid of the MCEs. The “falling apart” was cracking around the holes where they mounted to the fender; the plastic also started to feel a bit “dry rotted” for lack of a better term.

I’ll try to dig up pics from my email to them. It’s not like the things were completely mangled and flailing in the wind, I was disappointed in the lack of reply I got asking about their advertised warranty.

USMC 2006-Present
2000 TJ - some stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in