Manual tranny gear Position Indicator - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
97wranglerD
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Manual tranny gear Position Indicator

I have been searching around and can't seem to find an indicator for the gear you are currently in. Is this possible with a 97 wrangler? I know the ECU can't tell what gear you are in with a manual, or is that untrue? anybody have one of these little indicators?

06 TJ, "Suicide Jeep", M62 Supercharged! 6PSI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
-dirt-

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I've never seen a gear indicator in a TJ with a manual transmission. Closest thing I know of is a shift indicator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 11:52 AM
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't seen one for any manual I have driven and I have driven alot of them.

An ugly Jeep with some stuff.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Night Wolf

2005 TJ Wrangler 

...... As stated above, no. Why do you feel you need one?
post #5 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:26 PM
lostone73

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here ya go, its for a motorcycle, but will work fine in an auto application such as a TJ due to the electronicly triggered speedo. you program it to learn RPM versus wheel speed to determine what number to show.

PGR-1000 Series

Simple explanation of faith :

Think of it as a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the Messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignore the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third one doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fan-fiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon.

(credit to unknown author)
post #6 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:33 PM
dcope17

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostone73 View Post
Here ya go, its for a motorcycle, but will work fine in an auto application such as a TJ due to the electronicly triggered speedo. you program it to learn RPM versus wheel speed to determine what number to show.

PGR-1000 Series
That's the only think I could think of also. However, it won't show correctly unless you're moving with the clutch out and if you set it in high range... it will be wrong for low range and vise versa...

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wranglerD View Post
...the ECU can't tell what gear you are in with a manual, or is that untrue? ...
It doesn't know and doesn't care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97wranglerD View Post
...anybody have one of these little indicators?
I've had one in every manual shift vehicle I've every owned, all the way back to a '50 Chevy 1/2 ton truck. It's the gear shift lever. I've only had one that gave a false indication and that was because a shift fork came loose from its rod.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:44 PM
lostone73

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
That's the only think I could think of also. However, it won't show correctly unless you're moving with the clutch out and if you set it in high range... it will be wrong for low range and vise versa...

You're right, I didn't think of the Low-Range part of the deal. Thats the best I can come up with though.

Think of it as a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the Messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignore the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third one doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fan-fiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon.

post #9 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 12:48 PM
lostone73

2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=mdm;10474001]It doesn't know and doesn't care.

I disagree. It knows a little about whats going on, due to the fact that the shift light doesn't bother us while in 5th gear. It has the logic to discern if its in 5th or not but certainly no other gear.

post #10 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Your shift light doesn't bother you in fifth gear???? Mine does.

Friends don't let Friends run Bosch
post #11 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
It doesn't know and doesn't care.

I disagree. It knows a little about whats going on, due to the fact that the shift light doesn't bother us while in 5th gear. It has the logic to discern if its in 5th or not but certainly no other gear.
It does depending on your gear ratio/speedo gear whatever.

I believe it lights up based on fuel consumption, RPMs, engine load, and probably many other paremeters that get metered in the PCM.

I have 5.86s, 40" tires, and have the proper 41t speedo gear. I get bugged to upshift when in 5th gear all the time.

Why do you need a shift indicator for your transmission when your shifter is a DIRECT mechanical linkage to it?

If you had an AW4, then yes it would be good to know since it's all electronically controlled by solenoids...

If you don't know what gear you're in then you should probably get an auto.

If you were really wanting an indicator, best bet would be some small micro-switches that get bumped by the shifter when it's in gear.... would be a total PITA and would probably not always work right though.

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 03:13 PM
JrJmisn
2007 JK Wrangler 

Is looking down at the stick if you for some weird reason forget where you just shifted compared to how fast you are going no longer an option? I dont get this. Maybe I missed something for its purpose?
post #13 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
-dirt-

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrJmisn View Post
Is looking down at the stick if you for some weird reason forget where you just shifted compared to how fast you are going no longer an option? I dont get this. Maybe I missed something for its purpose?
I agree. But like many nods we do to our jeeps, sometimes we just want it b/c we want it.

post #14 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM
JrJmisn
2007 JK Wrangler 

..fair enough. I don't discriminate mods for the sake of you think its cool. Just wondering if its for some purpose I didnt understand.
post #15 of 19 Old 11-18-2010, 03:20 PM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

dunno how it works, but they sell them:

Indy-Cator

Vid

82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
87 MJ work truck
05 TJ SC'd Rubicon daily
06 TJ SE sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in