Manual hub conversion/ 5X5.5 bolt pattern - JeepForum.com
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 Old 07-04-2021, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

Manual hub conversion/ 5X5.5 bolt pattern

Been mulling over the idea of converting my TJ to a 5X5.5" bolt pattern, and going with a manual hub conversion at the same time. Current setup has a dana44 in the rear with 30 spline axles, and dana 30 up front with 27 spline axles, both with 5X4.5" bolt pattern. Both have ARB air lockers with 4.88 gears.
Down the road, I might like to replace the drum brakes in the rear with a disc conversion, and the dana 30 in the front with a dana 44F. A few questions come to mind:

•could the same manual conversion be used on a dana 44F as the dana 30? This listing seems to suggest it can:
https://www.yukongear.com/shop/ya-wu-08

•any other brands on the market for the manual hub conversion besides Yukon Gear?

•What are some options for the rear axle conversion from 5x4.5" to 5x5.5"?

•are the rear axle conversion of bolt pattern compatible with a disc conversion? (I can't imagine them not be, but asking to be sure).

•Are there any potential problems finding wheels with 5X5.5" bolt pattern with the proper backspacing to run my 35" KM3's?

•just recently replaced my front discs. Can they be reused if I have a machine shop redrill to the 5X5.5" bolt pattern?

Here's an article detailing the Yukon Gear conversion:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/b...30-front-axle/

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 07-04-2021, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

Here's a forum thread on the subject:

https://***************.com/threads/...ion-kit.16093/

Edit: apparently I'm not allowed to write "***************"

Edit by moderator: replace the above asterisks with wrangler tj forum (remove the spaces on the sides of tj) to get to the thread. That competing forum name has been censored by the owners.
post #3 of 53 Old 07-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy_Van_Horn View Post
Been mulling over the idea of converting my TJ to a 5X5.5" bolt pattern, and going with a manual hub conversion at the same time. Current setup has a dana44 in the rear with 30 spline axles, and dana 30 up front with 27 spline axles, both with 5X4.5" bolt pattern. Both have ARB air lockers with 4.88 gears.
Down the road, I might like to replace the drum brakes in the rear with a disc conversion, and the dana 30 in the front with a dana 44F. A few questions come to mind:

•could the same manual conversion be used on a dana 44F as the dana 30? This listing seems to suggest it can:
https://www.yukongear.com/shop/ya-wu-08

•any other brands on the market for the manual hub conversion besides Yukon Gear?

•What are some options for the rear axle conversion from 5x4.5" to 5x5.5"?

•are the rear axle conversion of bolt pattern compatible with a disc conversion? (I can't imagine them not be, but asking to be sure).

•Are there any potential problems finding wheels with 5X5.5" bolt pattern with the proper backspacing to run my 35" KM3's?

•just recently replaced my front discs. Can they be reused if I have a machine shop redrill to the 5X5.5" bolt pattern?

Here's an article detailing the Yukon Gear conversion:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/b...30-front-axle/
Yukon is the only one I am aware of, they bought the hub design from Warn. I have installed both the small and big hub conversions.

The knuckles, outer unit bearing hub assemblies, and stub shafts are the same on a TJ Dana 30 and a TJ Dana 44 so I see no reason why the same hub kit would not work for both.

For your rear axle shafts, many aftermarket shaft manufacturers have dual bolt pattern replacement shafts. 5x4.5 and 5x4.5 is what my Revolution Gear shafts came with, and so did my previous Superior Axle shafts. Maybe cheaper ones too from like Alloy USA but I don't know. I personally would not try to drill a 5x5.5" bolt pattern onto an existing 5.4.5" flange but it is possible if you have sufficient precision skills at your command.

5x5.5" wheels are common, probably as common as 5x4.5".

Don't waste your time doing a rear drum to disk brake conversion. You will gain NOTHING in terms of braking power. Zilch, zero, none. Rear disk brakes are easier to work on but don't do the conversion hoping for better braking, it won't happen. The rear brakes have to be partially crippled by the brake proportioning valve to prevent the brakes from locking up. Rear brakes lock up much easier than the fronts due to the forward weight transfer that unweights the rear tires. So not even the rear drum brakes are working up to their true potential, rear disk brakes would be crippled in the same way and by the same amount.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 53 Old 07-05-2021, 01:10 PM
zipman35

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Manual hub conversion/ 5X5.5 bolt pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Yukon is the only one I am aware of, they bought the hub design from Warn. I have installed both the small and big hub conversions.

The knuckles, outer unit bearing hub assemblies, and stub shafts are the same on a TJ Dana 30 and a TJ Dana 44 so I see no reason why the same hub kit would not work for both.

For your rear axle shafts, many aftermarket shaft manufacturers have dual bolt pattern replacement shafts. 5x4.5 and 5x4.5 is what my Revolution Gear shafts came with, and so did my previous Superior Axle shafts. Maybe cheaper ones too from like Alloy USA but I don't know. I personally would not try to drill a 5x5.5" bolt pattern onto an existing 5.4.5" flange but it is possible if you have sufficient precision skills at your command.

5x5.5" wheels are common, probably as common as 5x4.5".

Don't waste your time doing a rear drum to disk brake conversion. You will gain NOTHING in terms of braking power. Zilch, zero, none. Rear disk brakes are easier to work on but don't do the conversion hoping for better braking, it won't happen. The rear brakes have to be partially crippled by the brake proportioning valve to prevent the brakes from locking up. Rear brakes lock up much easier than the fronts due to the forward weight transfer that unweights the rear tires. So not even the rear drum brakes are working up to their true potential, rear disk brakes would be crippled in the same way and by the same amount.

@Jerry Bransford ; . How are you Stranger?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 53 Old 07-05-2021, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

Thanks for the input Jerry. Good point about the rear brakes, especially given the fact there is so little weight back there to begin with...
Does the manual hub conversion maintain the same distance for the wheel/disc mounting face from the centerline of the jeep?

Have you ever drilled a front disc with 5X4.5" bolt pattern to take a 5X5.5" pattern? Does the inside bore need to be milled out larger to accept the bigger hub?

post #6 of 53 Old 07-05-2021, 11:56 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stay away from Chinese made Alloy USA products. Nice name though.
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 53 Old 07-06-2021, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

I got the YA-WU-8 kit on order. Should be here in under a week.

Need to decide on new rear axle shafts (leaning toward the revolution gear axles Jerry mentioned), and new wheels.

Rear drums need to be drilled, but I figure that can be done on my drill press using some transfer punches to mark the location. The accuracy of the holes are not super critical because the drum centers on the hub on the axle flange, and the holes in the drum for the studs are just clearance holes.

Mulling over the idea of converting my ARB RD-100 air locker (27 spline, dana 30) to an RD-104 (30 spline, super 30). I called ARB tech line, and they confirmed the only difference was the side gears. Reason I am considering this, is because the Yukon YA-WU-8 kit comes with 30 spline outers. Although I could get it to work with 27 spline inners, and 30 spline outers, the inners would be the weak link.

Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #8 of 53 Old 07-10-2021, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

The kit arrive yesterday. I started pressing bearing races into the hubs this afternoon. Got them all installed. I'll get everything ready that can be done before taking the jeep apart. This job would not be very doable without a hydraulic press, and a bearing race seating tool. The OD of the one I used for seating the outer race was too large to fit inside the hub, so I threw it on the lathe and turned it down ~0.100". After that, it worked well.

post #9 of 53 Old 07-10-2021, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

The bearing race seating tool I made on the lathe last year.

post #10 of 53 Old 07-15-2021, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

Made a little progress on this project today. Finally settled on buying the Revolution Gear axles that have both bolt patterns drilled. Was seriously considering paying a machine shop to drill the larger bolt pattern on my existing axles, but when I went out to take some measurements to sketch something up in SolidWorks, I realized the OD of the flange is only ~6.00", and it wouldn't leave enough material for 1/2" studs on a 5.5" bolt circle. It was then that I took a look at some of the aftermarket axles with both patterns and realized that they probably added ~0.50" to the OD to compensate for this. Anyway, when the new axles get here, I'll use a transfer punch set to mark the location of the larger bolt pattern on my brake drums, and I'll drill the clearance holes with my drill press. Shouldn't be too hard, as long as I have a good sharp drill bit.

post #11 of 53 Old 07-17-2021, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

I bought this handy little bearing grease packer to make packing the bearings a breeze. You put grease in the bottom of the clear part, and put the bearing between the white cone and cup, and push down on the cone part. Grease gets pushed into the bearing and squeezes out the top. Packs a bearing in seconds.

post #12 of 53 Old 07-17-2021, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

Here's the part number if anyone is interested. Got it on Amazon fro about $20

post #13 of 53 Old 07-17-2021, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

So I'm seeing the issue that @mrblaine was talking about on another forum 2.5 years ago.

*****forum.com/threads/install-report-yukon-ya-wu-08-manual-hub-conversion-kit-and-vanco-16%E2%80%9D-big-brake-kit.18025/

(Replace "*****" with "www.wranglertj" in the above link)
The discs that come with this kit from Yukon gear don't locate accurately on the hub. There is a large amount of clearance between the ID on the disc and a large chamfer and the OD on the hub, with a large radius. And the holes that the studs go through are loose too. This means that the disc is probably not going to run true with the hub.
So options are:
1. Machine an adapter ring to press into the ID of the disc. This ring will locate more accurately on the OD of the hub.
2. Make some thin shims to wrap around the portion of the studs that pass through the holes in the disc. The shoulder on the stud that passes through the hole in the disc measures 0.635", and the hole is ~0.665", a ~0.030" difference on the diameters. I have some 0.010" shim stock I could use. Wrapping them around the stud, it would add 0.020" to the diameter. The holes probably aren't located too accurately, so I probably don't want to go any tighter than that.
FYI: the section of the stud that presses into the hub measures 0.600", and the hole in the hub is the same size.
3. Find a different disc to use. Either turn key (if available), or something with a smaller ID that I can bore/turn to the right size on my lathe.
4. Install them as-is, and hope they don't run out too much.

Any ideas?

post #14 of 53 Old 07-18-2021, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Guy_Van_Horn
1936 CJ2A 

I figured, why not. Let's give it try. I made some shims to go around the part of the studs that pass through the disc. The thought is that it might keep the disc centered better. They hold the studs on the hole fairly snugly, but not too tight. A cheap solution that might work to keep the disc from running out too much.

I'm not going to be able to post for a few days.

NashvilleTJ likes this.
post #15 of 53 Old 07-19-2021, 06:37 AM
53flattie

1936 CJ2A 

You have talent, Guy. I’m impressed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Guy_Van_Horn likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in