manageable level of rust - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
dbowman

manageable level of rust

Hey guys!

Was just hoping someone with more knowledge than me could step in with the semi limited view of pics I was sent for an out of state purchase. Is this level of rust to the frame manageable or try to look elsewhere? Seems hard to pass up for the price at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2395.jpg   IMG_2396.jpg   IMG_2397.jpg   IMG_2398.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
dbowman

Zero idea why they upload upside down so I apologize for that.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 09:23 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
pics wont show enough to really give any type of good idea( what you see looks fair, but its what you DONT see). These frames tend to rust from inside out. by the time its seen on the outer its well gone. Me i would say rust is a deal breaker on a used vehicle that you plan to keep. its better to spend 2x on the jeep to get one that is nearly rust-less. then to get one that may need frame off resto , that will cost 5x more then its worth.

someone painted the under side not to long ago to make it LOOK better. as well they painted over rust, makes it worse.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
dbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
pics wont show enough to really give any type of good idea( what you see looks fair, but its what you DONT see). These frames tend to rust from inside out. by the time its seen on the outer its well gone. Me i would say rust is a deal breaker on a used vehicle that you plan to keep. its better to spend 2x on the jeep to get one that is nearly rust-less. then to get one that may need frame off resto , that will cost 5x more then its worth.

someone painted the under side not to long ago to make it LOOK better. as well they painted over rust, makes it worse.
Thank you! I'm always worried about what people or dealers gave done in order to cover the rust up. The value of these unlimited rubicons blows my mind so trying to find one with limited rust within a reasonable price range has become quite an ordeal!
post #5 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 10:55 AM
bparsel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Holy crap you Southwest guys crack me up. That rust is NOTHING to worry about.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bparsel View Post

Yeah, that thing would be advertised “rust free” around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
dbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bparsel View Post
I guess price is whats really getting me. She only wants 14k for an 06 unlimited rubicon with 105k miles. clear title, cant find anything wrong in the pics besides that rusting. Everything else I'm seeing just from dealers are at least 20k.
post #8 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 02:47 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Rust doesn't look too bad to me, but Do some searching. 05 and 06 pcm problems, especially with auto trans

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #9 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
dbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Rust doesn't look too bad to me, but Do some searching. 05 and 06 pcm problems, especially with auto trans
I have thanks to a previous post of mine! Thank you for checking! We actually have another 06 same make and model in the family as well. Nothing yet pcm wise on this one or the one we own but definitely prepared for that nightmare haha.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 03:46 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just a little crusty around a couple of the holes, but doesn't look too bad to me. The only spot that would have me mildly concerned is center bottom halfway between the rear control arm mount and the belly skid; it looks bubbled and without checking in person you can't tell for certain if it's just on the outside or has come through from inside. It's fairly safe to say you should expect the bottom inside of the frame to look like the rusty areas around the side frame holes.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
dbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Just a little crusty around a couple of the holes, but doesn't look too bad to me. The only spot that would have me mildly concerned is center bottom halfway between the rear control arm mount and the belly skid; it looks bubbled and without checking in person you can't tell for certain if it's just on the outside or has come through from inside. It's fairly safe to say you should expect the bottom inside of the frame to look like the rusty areas around the side frame holes.
If I receive this is there a solid way to put a hold to the spread? Just through coverups?
post #12 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 04:18 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Clean the inside of the frame the best you can to remove salts and loose scale/debris, then use your choice of rust converter, encapsulator, or frame saver product and topcoat. Lots of threads on the subject, I solved my rust issues by moving south where it's dry (mostly).

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
dbowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Clean the inside of the frame the best you can to remove salts and loose scale/debris, then use your choice of rust converter, encapsulator, or frame saver product and topcoat. Lots of threads on the subject, I solved my rust issues by moving south where it's dry (mostly).
Thank you! I’ll research. Reaching 110 this week for a couple days here in Cali so I was figuring it would help a bit hahah
post #14 of 27 Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 PM
daredevil95

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbowman View Post
I guess price is whats really getting me. She only wants 14k for an 06 unlimited rubicon with 105k miles. clear title, cant find anything wrong in the pics besides that rusting. Everything else I'm seeing just from dealers are at least 20k.
That's not rust, that's good. I would be more concerned about the 14K price tag. To much IMO, you could buy a very nice sport for about 7K and put another 3K into the sport and now you know what you have and most likely way beefier then the Rubicon while built to your specs....although starting of with a Rubicon would be nice in a perfect world but, not for 14K on a 06. imo
post #15 of 27 Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 AM
bparsel
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil95 View Post
That's not rust, that's good. I would be more concerned about the 14K price tag. To much IMO, you could buy a very nice sport for about 7K and put another 3K into the sport and now you know what you have and most likely way beefier then the Rubicon while built to your specs....although starting of with a Rubicon would be nice in a perfect world but, not for 14K on a 06. imo
I dont know where you are seeing $7k Unlimiteds....most unlimiteds in decent shape are $10k minimum. If they are clean with lift and tires etc I regularly see them in the $12-14k range with many asking up to $17k. They are getting more rare by the day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in