lowering my TJ - yes lowering - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2020, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Adam's Toy

lowering my TJ - yes lowering

I am sure there are some folks that read that title came here to tell me I am an idiot. But here is the issue, the person I bought it from put a 6-inch lift on it. He also said he bought springs for a different model because they give another inch lift, so maybe 7 inches? It is a 99 with 33-inch tires and the bottom of the door is 33.5 inches off the ground.

Iíd like to go to 35s. It has the flat steel fenders up front. I think 35s should fit with 4 inches of lift. Does anyone know for sure?

Can I simply cut the springs by 2 inches? If I order springs for a 4 inch lift can I simply put them in, or will I need to make other changes?

I am a competent mechanic but all my time has been spent on sports cars. I just donít know anything about 4X4 suspensions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2020, 02:36 PM
CGrugger
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Toy View Post
I am sure there are some folks that read that title came here to tell me I am an idiot. But here is the issue, the person I bought it from put a 6-inch lift on it. He also said he bought springs for a different model because they give another inch lift, so maybe 7 inches? It is a 99 with 33-inch tires and the bottom of the door is 33.5 inches off the ground.

Iíd like to go to 35s. It has the flat steel fenders up front. I think 35s should fit with 4 inches of lift. Does anyone know for sure?

Can I simply cut the springs by 2 inches? If I order springs for a 4 inch lift can I simply put them in, or will I need to make other changes?

I am a competent mechanic but all my time has been spent on sports cars. I just donít know anything about 4X4 suspensions.
Where are the pictures??? You got to share!

Do you know what kind of lift is on there? Do you know if the springs are progressive rate or dual rate?

Depending on the control arms, you should be able to dial the pinion back in for a 4 inch lift.

I have 3.5 in springs that gave me just over 4 in of lift, I have flat fenders and have decent flex/range with my 35s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2005 TJ X: MC 3.5" lift, 33"x12.5" tires, 1.25" Zone body lift, Curry Antirock sway bar.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2020, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Adam's Toy

It is currently 117 degrees (Phoenix) according to my thermometer so I just took some pics in my garage.

The control arms appear to be adjustable but I donít know how far I will need to go. Doesnít seem like it should be that much. But it also seems like it may affect steering components, maybe shock length, is there anything that limits how far down a wheel can fall? I donít see anything but online I see rigs that look like they have a limiting strap. I am wondering if I am missing something. I donít want a spring to fall out because other components are set to move too far. However, I am 4 wheeling with my 5 year old so we arenít doing anything crazy. I am also not an experienced off road driver so Iíll be taking it easy for a bit.

I am 46 and I have a lot of miles on me. Iíd really like to get the seat height down an inch or more.

As for your questions about what I have, here is the ad. I donít have a lot more info. The prior owner did tell me the axels are sleeved but the axel shafts have not been upgraded.

Chili Pepper Red
4.0 6 cylinder
76000 original miles
5 speed
Ice cold A/C
Dana 44 front Axle with lockers trussed and gusseted
Ford 8.8 rear trussed w/locker
Rear disk break conversion
Brand new 4.56 Yukon gears front and back (Jeep is geared right and has tons of power 80mph up and down the highway no prob)
Brand new Rancho shocks
Beefy adjustable track bar
New Currie springs
New Currie correctlync tie rod system
New Currie Antirock sway bar kit (go from street to trail without disconnecting sway bar)
Viair 100% duty cycle onboard air with 3 gallon tank.
6 inch long arm lift with currie johnny joints
Rubicon Express slip yoke eleminator ( jeep is smooth with zero vibration)
9500 pound Tiger shark winch
Spectere performance cold air snorkel inatake
Brand new best top seats
6 Month old Best top trek top ( awesome top configures 4 ways and is super quite
D ring mounts in front double as tow bar location so you can tow to trail
Brand new gel Battery
Full M.O.R.E under belly skid plate (Motor to transfer case are completely covered)
1500 Miles on the 33 ď Falcen Wildpeak AT3W All season tires
Pro Comp rock crawler steel wheels
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1341.jpg   DSCN1342.jpg   DSCN1343.jpg  

post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM
sh00ttok1ll

Currie doesn't make a 6" spring for TJs. So if it is Currie, and it does look like it, it is only a 4" spring. You can measure between the spring perches to find out for sure. Stock is 12" in front and 8" in the rear.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 02:02 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's pretty obvious in the last picture that there are 2" spacers installed atop the front springs. Chances are good the rear also has spacers then, so all that should be needed to drop the Jeep down where it should be is to remove these spacers.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2020, 09:04 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Front looks more like the spring isolator with a similar width spacer.
Attached Thumbnails
spring (2).jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-02-2020, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Adam's Toy

Great info. Thank you all.

I measured and yest the spring is 16 inches (so a 4 inch lift per Sh00ttok). The thing at the top feels like a hard rubber or maybe a not so hard plastic. What is a spring isolator?

The rear doesn't appear to have this spacer. However the jeep sits level - see pics below.

Could this be a leveling kit? Does the TJ have a bit of a rake when it is stock? I know this was a thing people did to Tacoma's when I had one of those.

Thank you again for the help!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1356.jpg   DSCN1355.jpg   DSCN1354.jpg   DSCN1351.jpg  
post #8 of 11 Old 08-03-2020, 10:54 AM
sh00ttok1ll

It is likely a 3/4" spacer. TJs did have a slight take to them and it may have needed a spacer to get it level. Oddly enough, mine needed a rear spacer to keep it from butt dragging so each Jeep is a little different.

Since it measures 16", it is likely that the front springs sagged a little and they added the spacer to compensate. Either way, it looks like a 4" lift
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Adam's Toy

To clarify, it is 18 inches from top to bottom but the spring only makes up 16 inches of that. There appears to be two pieces of the spacer on the top. one part is thicker than the other, so maybe it is 1.5 in and .75? the rear spring measures about 13 inches, but it isn't straight up and down int kinda bows back a bit. It might be 14 total legnth. Is it possible that someone used a 4 inch lift in the front with spacers and a 6 inch from a different manufacturer in the back?

I parked it next to a YJ that the owner tells me has a 6 inch lift. It is slightly tall than the YJbut we measured the tires and mine are about a half inch taller when on the ground (you know with the bottom squished).

Did the YJ and TJ sit about the same height stock or did the TJ start 2 higher?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-04-2020, 02:48 PM
Duck Doctor
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ and YJ have 6” of lift and the same tires. TJ is about an inch taller.

What’s the deal with the frame side control arm brackets? Are they just bolted to the frame? If so, I’d look into welding on a real set of control arm brackets.
post #11 of 11 Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Can you get us a close up of the top of the front coils? We can then clarify if its a spacer with the factory isolator or if its a pair of stacked spacers.

You have a Rough Country long arm kit. The coils could have settled a little.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in