Low speed shake - high speed vibration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
kliffhanger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Low speed shake - high speed vibration

This problem just reared its head last week. Took my wife and one of her friends to dinner in the jeep and I noticed it seemed to have a vibration in the drive train that wasn’t there earlier in the same day. This was the first person I had had in the back for six or seven months.

I pulled in to get fuel and when I slowed to a crawl in first gear the entire jeep was wobbling. I wasn’t sure what would cause it. I fueled up, and on the way to and from dinner I noticed the wobble on take off and the vibration at 40 to 45 mph.

Next day I took the jeep out with my wife to see if there was any difference made with the lack of weight in the back. When I took off I heard a metallic clang and had the shake, so we promptly went home. I guessed it was either a motor mount, tranny mount or both. Put her up on jack stands and went ahead and replaced the tranny mount. It was a little beat up. The metal bar that runs down the center of it was bent, but that was the only thing wrong.

Bolted it back up and I have the same issues. However the shake at start up is a lot better. Both motor mounts looked fine when I was under there. The front and rear shaft were tight and I was able to turn the front drive shaft very easily by hand to rotate the tires. This morning on the way into work I noticed the vibration comes and goes on the highway. It seems to come when I hit a bump and then as the Jeep settles out so does the vibe. Please help and sorry for the long story.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 08:24 AM
mgearly
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Check tie rods and front trac-bar.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 08:27 AM
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Remove each drive shaft and drive it. See if the removal of one of the drive shafts eliminates the vibration. You can drive with the rear drive shaft by using 4Hi. When you remove the front drive shaft you can just disconnect it from the differential yoke and tie up the end of the drive shaft.

Keep in mind that free advice can frequently be worth less than you pay for it.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
kliffhanger
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That is a great Idea. I will try disconnecting the drive shafts. As added information it only seems to happen under power. it is a very slight vibration, but knowing how the jeep should run i know it is wrong.

Tags
drive line , shaking , vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in