5Likes
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 2 Post By Shark_13
  • 2 Post By mustang67ford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Low mileage death wobble ruby

I have an 05 rubly with about 25K on it. I have been getting a constant light wobble for a while now and was thinking it was a flat spot on my tires. Dont drive it often and still stock tires. Today, after going over a bridge lip, it started a very bad death wobble. I have a WJ that had done the same thing. Fixed it with a new stabilizer dampener. I didnt realize the TJ's were prone to this as well. So, even with such low miles, could it be the stabilizer dampener?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 11:42 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
damper never fixes anything just covers the issue and returns worse. One a well set up front wont even need it.

So assuming mechanical are good. Its the tires. Tires when they get out will start with slight pulsing left to right. might be very subtle at first and just get worse until its full out Wobbles. This by then has worn out parts in most cases as well. BUT you MUST know how to check components well, not just guess or do a wack amole parts exchange in hope it works.

I would first replace tire if they are STOCK and what now 14 years old? seriously why would anyone roll 14 year old rubber.... You could rotate see what that does IF the rear are better? hard to say.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 01:19 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang67ford View Post
I have an 05 rubly with about 25K on it. I have been getting a constant light wobble for a while now and was thinking it was a flat spot on my tires. Dont drive it often and still stock tires. Today, after going over a bridge lip, it started a very bad death wobble. I have a WJ that had done the same thing. Fixed it with a new stabilizer dampener. I didnt realize the TJ's were prone to this as well. So, even with such low miles, could it be the stabilizer dampener?
You didn't fix anything with that new steering damper, all you did was temporarily suppress the DW symptoms. Like placing a band-aid over a melanoma skin cancer so you no longer notice it... but neither is cured by those actions.

DW is usually caused by a combination of things like an imperfectly balanced tire together with something loose like the track bar. Have someone make quick left/right turns with the steering wheel while you look at the steering system and track bar looking for slop/movement where there shouldn't be. Like at the track bar's two mounting points. There should be no sideways slop where things are bolted together. The tie rod and drag link have normal rotational play but there should be no sideways play anywhere.

And a front tire can still trigger DW even if recently "balanced" since few tire shops take the time to balance tires perfectly as is required with the type of front-end the TJ and many trucks have. And the bigger the tire, the more carefully (perfectly) it needs to be balanced.

The single-worst case of DW I have ever had in 23 years of TJ ownership was when my '97 TJ was still fairly new and one of its front wheel's balancing weights came off. That was a memorable DW.... the Jeep was nearly out of control until I could get it slowed down and pulled over to the side of the road to a near stop. It shook me so bad it blurred my vision and nearly made me crap.
joeyroe likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Thanks for the info. I have not replaced the dampener yet. Only reason i am still running the same tires is because the tread is still good and no dryrot. Only changes i did to the front was a long time ago i added a winch and front leveling spacers to get ot back to setting even. Should i take the tires to the shop to get balanced?
post #5 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 08:13 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang67ford View Post
... Should i take the tires to the shop to get balanced?
Please read post #3 again.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 08:17 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

And if you need more convincing, there's a 25 page sticky at the top of this forum dedicated to this very subject.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/d...rsion-2359089/

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 09:34 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I would not be running 14 year old tires... That's just me.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-06-2019, 10:10 PM
TheBoogieman
The Devil's Advocate

2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you didn't look like this, it was just a shimmy.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #9 of 11 Old 07-07-2019, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Please read post #3 again.
Thanks, re-read post.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
mustang67ford

Got tires balanced and rotated. 1 was 1.25 oz off and the rest were about 2 oz off. Also got the damprner changed. There was hardly any resistance left in it.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-13-2019, 06:00 PM
Jeepsr4me

Do a dry steering test of the trac bar....

Dont let the other issues keep you from seeing this thru. Multiple problems at time can be bandaided by replacing or fixing one but the problem normally comes right back

Order of things that I found to cause DW.
1 trac bar
2 caliper sticking
3 alignment issue
4 tire that threw a weight
5 a bad tire.
6 bad hub bearing
7 the lower axle mounting point was crushed or bent from some FUN off road..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in