loss of power uphill/acceleration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

loss of power uphill/acceleration

I drive a hour to and from work each day.. 2 days ago i got about 6 miles from work and it started spitting and sputtering going uphill and during acceleration. i ended up going about 45mph on the highway.. but i did get to work..

On my lunch break i replaced my fuel filter and put in some injector cleaner..

It ran fine on the way home, and back to work the next day. However tonight on the way home it did it again about 15 miles from home..

I'm split 50/50 between my ignition coil and my fuel pump...

I'm kinda leaning toward the ignition coil because if it starts sputtering and i floor it (which makes it bog down more), i can smell unburned fuel (as i have the top off)..

just wondering what you guys think..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you have an 89 with a 4.2 then you should be carbureted and not fuel injected.
Post this in the YJ tech forum for better results (youre in the TJ forum)

2004 TJ Rubicon - 3" lift, 1" BL, UCF tummy tuck, Savvy control arms, JKS track bar, Brown Dog MML with Super brackets, 35ís, M8274, VanCo BBK - (Thanks MisfitSeven), IronRock tierod, Ten Factory shafts.
1999 XJ - DD with 228k
1998 TJ - shell waiting for engine, trans, tons.....
1997 XJ - more rust than Jeep, but it runs.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

its a 89 body but the engine is from a 97.. i replaced the coil, cap, rotor, wires and plugs this morning..
We'll see how it goes..

post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 02:27 PM
MAMMOTH
Wooly Member

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The 4.2 in your profile threw me for a minute.
4.0's replaced the 4.2 in 1991.
Hope it fixes it for ya.

2004 TJ Rubicon - 3" lift, 1" BL, UCF tummy tuck, Savvy control arms, JKS track bar, Brown Dog MML with Super brackets, 35ís, M8274, VanCo BBK - (Thanks MisfitSeven), IronRock tierod, Ten Factory shafts.
1999 XJ - DD with 228k
1998 TJ - shell waiting for engine, trans, tons.....
1997 XJ - more rust than Jeep, but it runs.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
CTJeepWJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had a very similar problem in my VW just recently. It ended up being a burn out catalytic converter. When I punched it up the hill or to get onto the highway, it would bog down and act as if it was running on half the cylinders. When I pulled the old cat off, there was a section of the honeycomb inside that was just rolling around like a baseball. You could check there.

-Ed

BLACK JEEP SOCIETY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 JK & 2004 WJ
post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

Actually its kinda acting like im using the jake break on a diesel engine.. if you know what thats like, or at least what im talking about... its even sounds like im using a jake break (louder throaty exhaust)..

that didnt fix it... it happened again on the way to work today.. about 5 miles from work.. although this time it eventually shut off.. i got it started again and got to work a little late..

cant be the cat as there isnt one..

are we in agreement that only thing really left is my fuel pump??.. or some odd electrical problem.. i cant really think of anything else..
post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

crank position sensor? throttle position sensor?

Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

What plugs did you use?When is the last time you cleaned your throttle body?and redid your profile properly?

Last edited by GOLENJEEPTJ; 08-05-2010 at 03:58 PM.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-05-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

Tps is good, throttle clean..

new development/question.. the fuel pressure regulator dictates the pressure of the fuel system by relieving the fuel rail of excess pressure...

how much fuel should be running out of the fuel return line when the jeep is at idle? mine is pouring.. i unplugged the relief line and put a cup under it and got about 8oz of fuel letting it idle for about 2 seconds...
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

ok.. Its not the fuel pump, or the regulator...

The only sensor i can find that resembles a crank position sensor is attached to my bell housing... is that where it is?

do jeeps have any ignition switch related problems?

profile updated btw..

Last edited by cryptostorm; 08-09-2010 at 05:51 AM.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-10-2010, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
cryptostorm

bump

Tags
loss of power , uphill , acceleration , tj , wrangler , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in