Loss of Camshaft Crank 2004 TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
JMH77
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Loss of Camshaft Crank 2004 TJ

2004 TJ, 4.0, NV3550. Jeep starts up and runs great for several minutes but then begins to sputter and die. Codes are as follows: P0353 IGNITION COIL 3 CIRCUIT, P0352 IGNITION COIL 2 CIRCUIT, P0351 IGNITION COIL PRIMARY CIRCUIT, P1391 LOSS OF CAMSHAFT CRANK. I can disconnect the battery and touch terminals together, start Jeep again... runs fine, then throws same codes a minute or two later. I confirmed with DRB that cam and crank are counting. Cam was off 15 deg... I corrected and synced properly, but motor still running rough and throwing P1391 (however, no longer stalls out). I have also replaced crank sensor (Mopar)... still no change. Maybe time to examine harness? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I know on the ’05 & ‘06s (different OPDA setup) the harness goes over the oil dipstick bracket & is known to occasionally rub the harness through & cause cam sensor codes. I’m not sure if your ’04 harness does that but worth checking.

It would seem that if you could get it to throw the code when the DRB is attached you could isolate which sensor it cutting out. It probably is the cam sensor signal. When you replaced the cam sensor did you notice any sign of the pulse ring hitting or rubbing on the sensor? I have seen where the ring gets loose on the shaft & damages the sensor.

If it was 15º retarded you might also want to pull the OPDA & inspect the gear. To be off 15º is a lot & since it has not previously given you trouble you would have to think it may have been getting worse & finally hit the tolerance limit.
post #3 of 4 Old 10-05-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
JMH77
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rubi... Yea, I've heard of the harness rubbing at the back of the motor on the 04s as well. I didn't see any issues back there, but I may pull the harness and inspect closer. I believe the crank sensor and those 3 ignition circuits share a ground... so, I'm gonna see if I can ground that sensor and see what happens.

post #4 of 4 Old 10-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Well, not quite. The coil pack does not have a permanent ground. It has 12v power to it & 3 grounding wire going to the PCM which the PCM pulses a ground signal to in order to fire the respective coils. The cam sensor ground is spliced into a common sensor ground wire going to the PCM which then passes through a “noise filter” before going to a permanent ground on the engine block along with several other things that ground there. Since it does not appear the other sensors (except possibly the crank sensor) are giving you trouble I doubt that is where the issue is but good to check to be sure.

Be sure to check the C-1 (black) connector at the PCM for dry, clean terminal pins & well seated too.

Tags
2004 , crank , p1391 , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in