• 2 Post By superj
  • 1 Post By superj
  • 2 Post By beargibson99xj

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking at TJ's, I have questions

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I'm planning to buy a Jeep TJ in the near future, and I have some questions. This will be my 3rd Jeep when I get one, so I'm not new to jeeps, just TJ's.

What are you're opinions on soft tops. I live in the mid-west, so we have cold winters and hot summers. This will likely be a daily driver. I like my heat in the winter, and my a/c in the summer. Do they make an insulated soft top? Should I even use a soft top? Do they leak?

I'm not looking to build a crawler or a trail rig.
I'm really just wanting a reliable, and capable means of transportation that uses less fuel than my ole Dodge. I want to get away from automatics as well, I loathe automatics.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 04:02 PM
zipman35

2005 TJ Wrangler 

As long as the heat and ac work you won’t hang any issues. I had no problems with my TJ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
beargibson99xj likes this.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 05:12 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargibson99xj View Post
Hello everyone, it's been a while. I'm planning to buy a Jeep TJ in the near future, and I have some questions. This will be my 3rd Jeep when I get one, so I'm not new to jeeps, just TJ's.

What are you're opinions on soft tops. I live in the mid-west, so we have cold winters and hot summers. This will likely be a daily driver. I like my heat in the winter, and my a/c in the summer. Do they make an insulated soft top? Should I even use a soft top? Do they leak?

I'm not looking to build a crawler or a trail rig.
I'm really just wanting a reliable, and capable means of transportation that uses less fuel than my ole Dodge. I want to get away from automatics as well, I loathe automatics.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but with the newest TJ being almost 16 years old, plus your above requirements, a Honda Civic may better suit you.
furrydogs likes this.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx

post #4 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I can see that now, trying to get somewhere in the snow. See attached picture with previous jeep in the snow. Then there's towing my boat. I have a 99 ram 5.9 I can tell you about poor fuel economy. I have had 2 jeeps and to me they were good on fuel. I don't need 40 mpg, and there are ways to improve fuel economy. You'll never convince me a civic will outlast a Jeep anyways.
Attached Thumbnails
20150216_160701.jpg  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 06:52 PM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would get a hard top because I like ac and heat, too.

All the wranglers my wife and I have owned, were hard top. I bought bikini tops for summer but they suck driving two hours in 107 degree heat and humidity, even with ac.

It's easier to remove a hard top than try to find a used one for a decent price

the xj is the only jeep left in the driveway
post #6 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 07:22 PM
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

If they salt the roads in the winter where you live, a TJ is not a good choice. The frame will get eaten out from under you...assuming you can find one that doesn't already have serious rust issues. And I don't know what your old Dodge gets in terms of MPG, but TJ's will not be easy on your wallet when it comes to gas.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I get the salt thing, that's why I no longer have that 99 XJ. I plan to look elsewhere to find one in decent shape. My 99 xj averaged 16-17 mpg It would get 20 on the highway. My Ole dodge is barely 10mpg. I also want to get away from automatics, I'm tired of having to worry when my trans is gonna run out of "magic" I don't have the facilities to build a trans anymore. I know it's what I want, I still miss my 89' XJ. It was rare 4.0 ax15 combo.

I seem to be finding a lot of bad reviews on the NSG370 6 speed, Should this trans be avoided?
Attached Thumbnails
cleen jeep 2.jpg  
superj likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-13-2021, 11:45 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargibson99xj View Post
I seem to be finding a lot of bad reviews on the NSG370 6 speed, Should this trans be avoided?
There's nothing wrong with the 6 speed trans. I've had a few of them and never had any issues. The 97-02' 32RH autos are very reliable. Hard tops are nice...... if you plan on selling the top to get $800 for more useful mods. They are a PITA to remove and install by yourself and do nothing better than a soft top. A quality sailcloth top is just as quiet and keeps the heat and AC inside great. As far as securing your valuables better, nope. I can pop the rear glass open in 10 seconds.
p.s. I drive for a living and originally bought a Jeep to drive when weather gets bad.
p.p.s. I miss my 99' XJ too. I sold it to get my Rubicon back.
Attached Thumbnails
SNOW JEEP.jpg   XJ 3 1 2020 best uhaul (2).jpg  
numchuck and beargibson99xj like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 04:48 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

luckily most criminals don't try to get into wranglers with hard tops as much as they just cut the soft tops and reach in. its a theft deterrent and doesn't need to be replaced every certain numbers of years from the sun tearing it up.

but, it is heavier to remove and a pain to store versus a soft top. that is a plus for the soft top. and you can take the windows and sides off to make it a bikini top.

post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 04:55 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

i guess you have to decide if you want to buy one with a hard top and sell it later or buy one with a soft top and try to find a hard top later?

a buddy here at work has been looking for a hard top for a year and i finally found him one for 1200 bucks. here in south texas you would think hard tops are always for sail since we live on a beach but its not the case. you have to go a few hours away to buy hard tops and they are expensive versus just ordering a soft top online and it being delivered to your door.

i paid 2k for a hard top for the wife's four door wrangler. my buddy is paying that 1200 for his tj to have a hard top. i always got offers for 500-1k for the hard tops on the stands by my garage when i took them off the yjs we had. a hard top won't change your initial buy into cost for the jeep. but it can be sold for money later on if you don't like it so i would start by trying to get a jeep with one and as many other extras as you can get at whatever price you want to start looking at.

its cheaper up front than to add later, is my point

post #11 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 07:13 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superj View Post
doesn't need to be replaced every certain numbers of years from the sun tearing it up.
Just need painting from all the fading. My Jeep spent 14 years of it's life in San Antonio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
2003' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with Rancho RS5000X shocks/ Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-14-2021, 09:03 AM
superj

1999 XJ Cherokee 

sorry, i meant the soft tops getting torn up from being in the sun. the uv damage to the material wears them out over time where the hard top just needs paint touch up, as you pointed out.

San Antonio is my preferred spot to get vehicles too. its far away enough from the ocean that rust is not an issue and large enough a town that stuff is cheap. i found the tj i bought my son in Brownsville though. oddly, the same town we bought my wife's first wrangler in, her 93 sahara. i don't particularly trust buying the valley because how many cars come from other places to the valley for cheap fixes and then resold with no history on the fixes. you have to really look stuff over down there. and people do not want to negotiate at all on prices there

post #13 of 13 Old 09-15-2021, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
beargibson99xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After a lot of consideration, I believe I will get one with a hard top, In light of to constantly clean and scrape windows in the winter.

I only asked about the 6 speed because I have read online that the shift fork pads tend to wear out and cause issues.

Sorry to nit pick at it, but the trans is going out in my truck 50k after a full rebuild. I don't want to buy into a problematic trans. I know what I can expect from the 4.0 L6 and they're easy to work on. My 99 was an auto and that transmission was indeed a beast, I only got rid of it because it had significant rot in the rear frame area. I was able to poke my finger through the factory trailer hitch. I don't expect civic like fuel economy. I just want a little improvement over my 6000 lb 5.9 gas burner.
TheBoogieman and superj like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in