Lockers - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
unclejed

Lockers

I may have missed the post but has anyone here had any experience using an Aussie locker or Lunch Box Locker as some may call them, Good or Bad?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 07:49 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

very good results in the front axle. the only real downside is that the jeep will tend to push forward if you're hot rodding around turns on snow covered roads.

not recommended for the rear axle where it will always be locked

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
unclejed

Any particular brand that you like?

post #4 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 04:29 PM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Excellent results.

I've got an Aussie in the front of my TJ (dana 30 front with 27 spline alloy shafts, and a Detroit Locker in the dana 44 rear with 33 spline alloy axle shafts). The Aussie is invisible when in 2WD - however the Jeep's a beast in 4WD. While I have played in the snow with the TJ, my usual vehicle to drive on the road when there's snow (no matter how much snow really) is my 96 Ram 1500 4x4 with True-Tracs front & rear. I feel the truck is safer when driving on pavement with snow compared to taking the TJ.

Converting my TJ's 231 transfer case to have a 2WD Low would be ideal (is there such a thing?) for those tight spots when off-roading when I don't need 4WD, but need to make a tight turn or to go very slow.

I also have Lock Rights front & rear in my 46 Willys (dana 25/dana 44). The Willys (compared to the TJ) is crude. But it too is a beast off-road (and it does have 2WD Low Range).

But you do/will notice any kind of full-time automatic locker in the rear of a TJ (Aussie, Lock-Right, Detroit). I call it the "Detroit Shimmy" when going around a turn and it unloads and then locks itself again - you can feel it.

I wouldn't put any kind of locker in a dana 35 rear though.

If you're into serious four wheeling (and can't afford or don't want selectable lockers) you can't go wrong with full lockers front & rear. But they are more noticeable on-road than True-Tracs (or an open diff).
Attached Thumbnails
Snow.1.jpg  
Attached Images

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 05:58 PM
FalloutMaster

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The Aussie locker (now called Torq lockers) is a great value for the money and offers great performance offroad and as stated above is basically invisible in 2wd. It clicked pretty loud when I drove around corners after first install but now 4 years later its pretty quiet. It's killer on rocks the rocks, and I take my Jeep up north for snowboarding and the aussie does good in the snow too, have to take it slow around corners is all. Highly recommend it!

"I'm just here for the gasoline"
post #6 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 06:11 PM
Tarneg
2001 TJ Wrangler 

1 the aussie locker is a brand name and are still made
2 the torq locker is a slightly different design but same concept ( light duty detroit no-spin)
3 i run a detroit no-spin in a 14 bolt rear and some version of the aussie locker in a dana 60 front in a 3 ton monster with a v8 and although i only have 10-15 runs on the aussie locker it has held up nice and i dont notice it affecting my steering but mines overkill so it will do what others stated above
4 like the detroit these do prefer old dinosaur oil over synthetic last i checked

have fun with it
post #7 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 06:28 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyRN View Post
Converting my TJ's 231 transfer case to have a 2WD Low would be ideal (is there such a thing?)...
Yep.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/tj-2...ift-sector-kit

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #8 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 06:55 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I've ran Powertrax Lock rights in the past and now run a Powertrax No Slip in the front axle of my current XJ. Love it.

IMO after running rear, front, and both ends, I find when running a lunchbox running open rear and locked front has worked much better for me on a daily driven Jeep. The No Slip is also much quieter in parking lot maneuvers than the Lock Rights were.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #9 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 09:31 PM
trigger04

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I’ve run an Aussie locker in the front of my D30 for about 10 years and 50k miles. I just took it out in favor of an ox. That locker had nearly no wear on the teeth so I gave it to a buddy to run. 👍
Attached Thumbnails
92903888-8481-4D13-838B-4469A3B7D9F8_1600313423751.jpg  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-17-2020, 05:35 AM
LumberjackLloyd
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I run an Aussie in my hp30. Absolutely no issues with 50k miles.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-17-2020, 05:41 AM
Ironhead

2003 TJ Wrangler 

put an aussie in the front of the wife's TJ and we were very happy with it. it was so quiet that i took the cover off and checked over things to make sure something wasnt wrong. 5 years later and its still going strong

post #12 of 13 Old 09-17-2020, 10:10 AM
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
That's what I need.

Thanks!

Sometimes it is hard to make sharp turns off-road when in 4WD with the front locker.

You can teach manners, but you can't teach class.

Trailer build:
post #13 of 13 Old 09-17-2020, 11:11 AM
bobjp
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lunchbox lockers are awesome. I ran a Richmond Lockright in my front before swapping to an ARB during regear. I still have a hard time justifying the expense of the ARB. The Lockright was awesome offroad and I never experienced pushing/understeer like I do if I don't turn the ARB off.

The single best upgrade for a Jeep is a front auto locker in my opinion. Best bang for the buck, and it makes a huge improvement.

Some complain about handling characteristics in the snow/ice so read up on that.

97 TJ sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in