LJ - What was stock brake setup and other brake questions - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Pentara
Registered User
 
Pentara's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 137
LJ - What was stock brake setup and other brake questions

Hey folks, I am seriously considering upgrading my brakes and am in need of some help and advice. I'm driving a 2005 LJ and I have 4 disc brakes, but I'm not sure if they are stock or someone upgraded them before I bought the Jeep.

1) Does anyone know for certain what the stock brake setup on the 05 LJ is in the rear? I see conflicting information on-line. Some people talk about upgrading their drum brakes to discs; Some specs mention the 2 disc / 2 drum configuration; but the spec sheet of the jeep.com URL says discs / discs.

2) I'm thinking of getting Black Magic Vanco Big Brakes for the front, would BM brake pads work with stock rear discs?

3) Can I upgrade/replace the parking break in the rear without upgrading the rear rotors?

4) My Jeep weighs 2,050 kg or 4,500 LBS. I've got 18x9 rims and 33" / 12.8" tires. I have no plans to go beyond 33", and might even come down to 32". I tend to be a defensive driver which means few stops where I'm pushing hard into the seat belt. Any recommendations on whether I should get the 15", 16" or 17" BM big brake kit?

5) If I have stock discs, did the front come with larger rotors than in the rear and if so, should I move my front rotors to the rear when I upgrade the front?

Thanks to all and as always, really appreciate the communities help.

Pentara is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 04:31 PM
Zeep
Registered User
 
Zeep's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Detroit rock city
Posts: 1,126
Garage
You'll do fine with BM brakes. Rotors do not interchange front to rear, or vice-versa. Rears have a hat for the drum parking brake!

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
Zeep is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 05:42 PM
Tinstar66
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 154
Your headed in the right direction.

Call Vanco

Tell them about your Jeep and what you want to do with it. They will get you the correct brake set up.
Tinstar66 is offline  
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 09:08 PM
realbadlarry
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Norco
Posts: 120
my lj has front/rear disks...I did the BM rotors and pads in the front and the pads in the rear....Major difference...I can actually stop on hills now.....
realbadlarry is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 08:07 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 26,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara View Post
Hey folks, I am seriously considering upgrading my brakes and am in need of some help and advice. I'm driving a 2005 LJ and I have 4 disc brakes, but I'm not sure if they are stock or someone upgraded them before I bought the Jeep.

1) Does anyone know for certain what the stock brake setup on the 05 LJ is in the rear? I see conflicting information on-line. Some people talk about upgrading their drum brakes to discs; Some specs mention the 2 disc / 2 drum configuration; but the spec sheet of the jeep.com URL says discs / discs.

2) I'm thinking of getting Black Magic Vanco Big Brakes for the front, would BM brake pads work with stock rear discs?

3) Can I upgrade/replace the parking break in the rear without upgrading the rear rotors?

4) My Jeep weighs 2,050 kg or 4,500 LBS. I've got 18x9 rims and 33" / 12.8" tires. I have no plans to go beyond 33", and might even come down to 32". I tend to be a defensive driver which means few stops where I'm pushing hard into the seat belt. Any recommendations on whether I should get the 15", 16" or 17" BM big brake kit?

5) If I have stock discs, did the front come with larger rotors than in the rear and if so, should I move my front rotors to the rear when I upgrade the front?

Thanks to all and as always, really appreciate the communities help.
1. LJs = 4 wheel disc
2. Unless Blaine changed something recently, BM pads don't go on the rears. I think he was selling Centric pads or something like that for the rear paired with BM pads for the fronts.
3. Why does your parking brake need upgraded?
4. Based on your driving style BM pads may be an iffy option for you. They like to be used and kept well broken in. If babied they will glaze and performance will suffer. As to which kit, if money is not a question go with the 17". If that's too much go with the 16". I don't think they are selling many 15" any more. Personally have run 15" with 33s on a TJ, 15" with 35s on a TJ, 16" with 32s on an XJ and 17" with 35s on a TJ.
5. Even with four wheel discs, rears are a different size than fronts since rear does a lot less of the braking.
biffgnar is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 08:39 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley
Posts: 33,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
4. Based on your driving style BM pads may be an iffy option for you. They like to be used and kept well broken in. If babied they will glaze and performance will suffer. As to which kit, if money is not a question go with the 17".
The problem with that is as you go larger in kit size, the more you need to be aware of how you use them. The smaller kits don't suffer from that nearly as much due to their simply smaller size and braking ability. The 17" kit is a whole bunch of brake and will lock up 37's at 60 on a whim with very little effort and with that much stopping ability, it can't be babied.

The other kits you've run aren't as sensitive, are they?

Quote:
If that's too much go with the 16". I don't think they are selling many 15" any more. Personally have run 15" with 33s on a TJ, 15" with 35s on a TJ, 16" with 32s on an XJ and 17" with 35s on a TJ.
We sell plenty 15" kits. It's about 3-2 in favor of the 16's but they still are needed.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
mrblaine is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Pentara
Registered User
 
Pentara's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
3. Why does your parking brake need upgraded?
5. Even with four wheel discs, rears are a different size than fronts since rear does a lot less of the braking.
3. Mine barely does the job. I've taken an off-road training course offered here an hour east of Toronto by OTR (offtheroad.ca) and he had me stop at the top of a hill with a slight incline and apply the parking brake in 4LO. I held but only on the second try and only after ratcheting it up to the maximum tightness. Thus why I think I need to replace or upgrade my parking brake, since I understand it's used often when doing off road trails.

5. I've heard this, but if the front stock brakes are bigger than the rear stock brakes, could I not move them to the rear to upgrade the rear brakes if I'm putting in new front ones? If so, I assume I'd need to take the rotors, pads and calipers from the front to the rear?
Pentara is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 10:15 AM
explorerlyon
Registered User
 
explorerlyon's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Valencia, CA
Posts: 689
I have an LJ with 33s on 17" wheels. I went with the Vanco 16" kit and love them. The stopping is great. I understand the 16" kit will also fit may 15" wheels. Where I really notice the increased breaking is offroad, 4low, 1st gear. The brakes hold very well. I have never used my parking brake while in gear.

05 Rubicon Unlimited, Automatic
explorerlyon is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 10:17 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 26,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara View Post
3. Mine barely does the job. I've taken an off-road training course offered here an hour east of Toronto by OTR (offtheroad.ca) and he had me stop at the top of a hill with a slight incline and apply the parking brake in 4LO. I held but only on the second try and only after ratcheting it up to the maximum tightness. Thus why I think I need to replace or upgrade my parking brake, since I understand it's used often when doing off road trails.

5. I've heard this, but if the front stock brakes are bigger than the rear stock brakes, could I not move them to the rear to upgrade the rear brakes if I'm putting in new front ones? If so, I assume I'd need to take the rotors, pads and calipers from the front to the rear?
3. You need to adjust the parking brake in the wheel hub to tighten it. If you search there will be plenty of threads describing the process.

5. You don't need bigger rear brakes. There is a reason the factory made them smaller than the fronts.
biffgnar is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 24,248
I'm running the Vanco 15" kit with the 48mm calipers with BM pads. I'm also running stainless braided brake lines that I had Crown make custom...same price, just custom ends to fit the different orientation of the Exploder calipers. Works awesome with 33s. Jeep finally stops like it should have from the factory.

I do use my brakes tho....the BM's don't like riding the brakes on a long coasting stop. Doesn't mean you have to slam on the brakes as you come to a stop, as long as you use the brakes, you're fine.


Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Funny:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unlimited04 is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM
biffgnar
Moderator
 
biffgnar's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 26,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I'm running the Vanco 15" kit with the 48mm calipers with BM pads. I'm also running stainless braided brake lines that I had Crown make custom...same price, just custom ends to fit the different orientation of the Exploder calipers. Works awesome with 33s. Jeep finally stops like it should have from the factory. I do use my brakes tho.
Aren't the 48mm calipers (versus wasn't it 46mm?) that made the difference between the 15" and the 16" kit? If you changed to them what do you still have that makes you running the 15" kit?
biffgnar is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 05-26-2015, 10:41 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion
 
Unlimited04's Avatar
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 24,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Aren't the 48mm calipers (versus wasn't it 46mm?) that made the difference between the 15" and the 16" kit? If you changed to them what do you still have that makes you running the 15" kit?
If I remember right, they originally had two kits: 15" and 16". 15" got 46mm Explorer calipers and the 16" got 48mm SportTrac calipers. In addition the knuckles were different to allow you to run either the Explorer rotors (15") or the Sport-Trac rotors (16").

The full 16" kit (48mm + Sport Trac rotors) needed 16" wheels to be sure it would work correctly, but it just happened to fit with some 15" wheels, depending on make. You were on your own & responsible for determining if it fit with your 15" wheels if you decided to try it.

The full 15" kit (46mm + Explorer rotors) worked with 15" wheels regardless. IIRC, the difference was ~1" smaller rotors compared to the 16" kit. The 15" kit rotors are still ~1" larger than stock tho.

The 46mm and 48mm calipers are physically identical in size, so you can bolt the 48mm's up to the 15" kit in place of the 46mm's. That's what I did...the smaller Explorer rotors with the 48mm calipers.

Now, IIRC they have cast their own new knuckles with a dual bolt pattern to work for both 15" and 16".

I think that's correct, but I could be wrong. I'm sure mrblaine will fix my mess


Useful Write-Ups:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fabrication & Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Funny:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Unlimited04 is offline  
Reply

Tags
brake upgrade , brakes , lj , stock , vanco

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome