LJ Savvy Tummy Tuck - What do I need? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ Savvy Tummy Tuck - What do I need?

I want to install the Savvy under armor on my 05 LJ (non-rubicon). I already installed the engine skid about a month ago and am ready to do a tummy tuck now. I've been trying to do research on it and am getting somewhat conflicting answers. I'm hoping someone running a similar setup can help answer my questions.

Here's what I have now:
2.5 OME lift
1" MM lift
1.25 body lift

I just ordered a Advance Adapters SYE kit with an Adam's driveshaft. What else do I need? Do I need upper control arms to adjust the pinion angle It seems like I should need them since I am raising up the driveline. Can I get by with just doing the rear uppers? I'd like to avoid having to pay for a full set right now since I'm spending a lot for the TT.

Is there really a benefit to get a full set if I am staying at my current lift height? I'm content with staying at 35's with my current lift height because it rides great and does what I want it to do offroad (other than getting hung up in the center a lot right now )

I've found other threads saying that I might need a track bar bracket and shock mount re-locators. Are those really needed?

For the control arms I am leaning towards the Savvy but they are pretty pricey. I'm open to suggestions though. Core 4x4 caught my eye for the price, but I don't want to get something that will affect flex/ride quality. Anyone running these that would suggest getting them?

Am I missing anything else I'll need for a tummy tuck?

My 1990 YJ Build Thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/might-well-start-build-thread-now-my-1990-yj-1291174/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, you will need the adjustable arms to correct pinion angle.

You may very likely need to correct for the placement of the track bar and shocks when you rotate te axle to adjust the pinion angle.

You should have measured for and ordered the driveshaft after doing the tuck.

You may or may not have to modify the exhaust.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:11 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

An LJ is a bit more forgiving as to amount of pinion rotation so could you get away with only uppers? Probably, but its not the best way to do it. Will you need angled TB bracket? Maybe. Don't even consider the shock relocators. If there is contact with the spring pads just grind down the back of them.

Many also choose to go to cable shifter when they tuck the tummy up tight.

post #4 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Yes, you will need the adjustable arms to correct pinion angle.

You may very likely need to correct for the placement of the track bar and shocks when you rotate te axle to adjust the pinion angle.

You should have measured for and ordered the driveshaft after doing the tuck.

You may or may not have to modify the exhaust.
I am waiting to get the SYE and Skid installed before I get the driveshaft. I actually already paid for the driveshaft though. Adam's driveshaft does a kit where I can order the DS and SYE together for a little better price. They are only sending me the SYE right now and I'll have to call back with measurement for the DS.

I'm hoping I don't have to modify the exhaust anymore. My last wheeling trip I ripped off my tailpipe and the last hanger. I decided to not do another tailpipe, and went with a pipe that points down right after the rear axle. When they did that for me I asked the shop to mount the hanger a little higher up, and also move the one in front of it up a little, in anticipation of doing the tummy tuck.

Any suggestions on what brand brackets to get?

My 1990 YJ Build Thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/might-well-start-build-thread-now-my-1990-yj-1291174/
post #5 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
I'm hoping I don't have to modify the exhaust anymore. My last wheeling trip I ripped off my tailpipe and the last hanger. I decided to not do another tailpipe, and went with a pipe that points down right after the rear axle. When they did that for me I asked the shop to mount the hanger a little higher up, and also move the one in front of it up a little, in anticipation of doing the tummy tuck.
The tailpipe is not where exhaust problems arise. In no particular order areas of common trouble are downpipe bend hitting skid (or driveshaft), bend on passenger side hitting control arm bracket, cat contact with skid, muffler contact with skid/bracing, muffler contact with rear control arm bracket, etc.
post #6 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
An LJ is a bit more forgiving as to amount of pinion rotation so could you get away with only uppers? Probably, but its not the best way to do it. Will you need angled TB bracket? Maybe. Don't even consider the shock relocators. If there is contact with the spring pads just grind down the back of them.

Forgot to mention I do have the Savvy cable shifter already. I guess my jeep is slowly becoming all Savvy products!

post #7 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 12:52 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

When I did mine, I didn't need the trackbar bracket (Metalcloak track bar). I did have to redo my exhaust, due to it trying to occupy the same space as the trackbar.
post #8 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post

Thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to install the skid and just determine what I need as I go. I was hoping I could get all parts on hand and ready to go so I could install it all one weekend and be done with it.

So should I just plan on biting the bullet and buying a full set of control arms while I'm doing it?

post #9 of 22 Old 06-05-2017, 03:40 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50 View Post
Thanks for the info. It sounds like I need to install the skid and just determine what I need as I go. I was hoping I could get all parts on hand and ready to go so I could install it all one weekend and be done with it.

So should I just plan on biting the bullet and buying a full set of control arms while I'm doing it?
I bought everything I "thought" I would need, then sold off what I didn't use. I took a slight loss, but I figured it was worth it because I didn't lose any time waiting for stuff to ship. You might as well get the full set of CAs, as you don't want to find out the hard way that you need just a little bit more adjustment.
post #10 of 22 Old 06-06-2017, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This thread has an example of what I was thinking about with the tailpipe hitting. Maybe the difference is that it is the older version of the skid???
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sa...te-up-1547005/

Regardless, I don't have a tailpipe anymore. It sounds like I could run into issues with the exhaust further upstream though

post #11 of 22 Old 06-06-2017, 01:05 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I installed the early "B prototype" version of the SUA on my TJ and my muffler was trying to share space with the crossmember. I just added a small piece of pipe and a shorter muffler. But, I believe that may be a non issue with an LJ.

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #12 of 22 Old 06-07-2017, 05:12 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
I installed the early "B prototype" version of the SUA on my TJ and my muffler was trying to share space with the crossmember. I just added a small piece of pipe and a shorter muffler. But, I believe that may be a non issue with an LJ.
it might not be a problem, but my lj muffler is HUGE!
the tj muffler might be the same though, i forget.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #13 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
uhohthe50

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_jeep View Post
it might not be a problem, but my lj muffler is HUGE!
the tj muffler might be the same though, i forget.
The previous owner of my LJ put on an aftermarket muffler... I think its a magnaflow. Hopefully its smaller than the factory muffler

post #14 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:30 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

They also may have changed something with the design after they realized this was happening, I'm not sure. Like I said, mine was not the final production version.

-

Quote:
post #15 of 22 Old 06-08-2017, 05:35 AM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You'll need adjustable uppers and lowers. Set the lowers at 15.5" eye to eye and set the uppers to whatever you end up with to get the right pinion angle. You'll need a better rear track bar - I had to fabricate my own using an oxy-acet torch, the stock bar and the heim end harvested from a RE bar. I also redid my entire exhaust from the oil pan back to 2.5"...added flex coupler, flange between downpipe and rear cat, ground/cut the center crossmember to clear the rear cat, installed new muffler & extended the cat-to-muffler flange to clear the crossmember, reworked all exhaust hangers, reworked rear tailpipe to hug the frame and dump earlier at an angle to keep it off the rocks.

My Savvy tummy tuck is the older version with the motor mounts being the engine skid mount. I ditched that setup since I already had my own MML. I fabricated a new front engine skid mounting bracket that mounts to the underside of the frame. I also drilled a drain hole for the oil pan and welded in a support across the center of the engine skid, between the engine and the trans.

I've painted it black since this pic:

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in