LJ - Help identify mystery red wire connecting to battery and going through firewall - JeepForum.com
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By Pentara
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 3 Post By Mousejockey
  • 1 Post By 2jhanna
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford
  • 1 Post By Knuckelhead

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-01-2017, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ - Help identify mystery red wire connecting to battery and going through firewall

I did some work today on my LJ and while under the hood I saw that my battery was very corroded. Grabbed a metal brush and vacuum to clean the contact points a bit and before I even started I saw a small single red wire that wasn't connected to anything and who's tip was corroded as heck.

I believe it disconnected from the battery, the shape and length of the wire make that the only logical termination point, plus the corrosion on the wire tip and battery (I don't have corrosion anywhere else under the hood).

I traced the wire and it runs solo from the battery to the drivers side of the engine bay before connecting to what looks like a plug going through the firewall. But, I can't see anything wrong inside when I start the Jeep. No errors, all lights work, ... Can anyone help me identify it? Thanks in advance.

I don't have a photo of my engine bay, but the below 2 photos help show where it is and goes.
PIC 1 - See the red wire, same as mine.
PIC 2 - You can trace the red wire here too, from left to right. On the right side, just below that vertical black cylinder is where the plug going through the firewall is and where the red wire terminates.

DmfHiggins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
DmfHiggins
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The world may never know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(insert quote here)
post #3 of 15 Old 04-01-2017, 07:39 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Probably for a CB radio that was removed before the previous owner sold it.
WmGardner likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Main power wire for the Flux Capacitor, they are notorious for traveling to their destination without the host vehicle when improperly grounded. When this happens feedback from the capacitor shorts out the fusible link at the battery.
Pentara, WmGardner and DmfHiggins like this.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The wire in those two photos you posted not only look like your jeep, but 100s of others because that is a very convenient route to run wires that go into the cab for any numbers of reasons.

CB radios, aux amps, extra lighting, air compressor, etc.

Look under the dash and see where your wire comes in and where it goes.

I am multi-talented, I can talk and piss you off at the same time.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #6 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
The wire in those two photos you posted not only look like your jeep, but 100s of others because that is a very convenient route to run wires that go into the cab for any numbers of reasons. CB radios, aux amps, extra lighting, air compressor, etc.
Thank you all for your help and humour. 2jhanna, your comment helped me nail it down. As soon as you said this is a common accessory / addon wiring route, I checked my windshield mounted trail lights which is the only powered add-on connected to the cab that I have and sure enough they're dead. They worked last week so I'm sure this loose wire is the culprit.

I'll have to figure out a better way to attach it to the battery since I assume it'll keep oxidizing and the dinky little tab it came with only lasted 3 years.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 09:50 AM
DmfHiggins
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I hope that was an April fools joke

(insert quote here)
post #8 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmfHiggins View Post
I hope that was an April fools joke
No, dead serious. I didn't install them myself and when it was done 3 years ago I thought the mechanic told me he connected them to power inside the dash. My original thinking was that this was a stock wire, since it went through the firewall very nicely through it's own plug. When I did a check of all the electricals inside I was checking all stock lights/clusters. It never occurred to me to flip the trail light switch.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Just cut an inch or so of the wire and crimp on a new ring terminal of the proper size.

Then do a better job of keeping the battery terminals clean.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #10 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Just cut an inch or so of the wire and crimp on a new ring terminal of the proper size. Then do a better job of keeping the battery terminals clean.
Yup. Just poured 1L of water infused with baking soda onto the battery until everything stopped fizzling. 90% of the corrosion is gone. Then rinsed all the baking soda residue away, dried the battery and battery mount. While doing this a second wire connecting a battery charging plug came apart off of the same terminal.

Bought a crimper tool and terminal rings, crimped, heat shrunk and properly shielded the wires. Re-attached to battery and then covered terminal in grease to help reduce oxidation. Trail lights working great again, will keep a better eye on the battery going forward and keep oxidation to a minimum.

Thanks again!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentara View Post
Yup. Just poured 1L of water infused with baking soda onto the battery until everything stopped fizzling. 90% of the corrosion is gone. Then rinsed all the baking soda residue away, dried the battery and battery mount. While doing this a second wire connecting a battery charging plug came apart off of the same terminal.

Bought a crimper tool and terminal rings, crimped, heat shrunk and properly shielded the wires. Re-attached to battery and then covered terminal in grease to help reduce oxidation. Trail lights working great again, will keep a better eye on the battery going forward and keep oxidation to a minimum.

Thanks again!
A sealed battery will stop that corrosion on the battery terminals. Sulphuric fumes leak out of conventional batteries which is the root cause of battery terminal corrosion. I haven't had any battery corrosion since going to AGM and sealed/maintenance free batteries.
DmfHiggins likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 06:32 PM
DmfHiggins
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Optimas are definitely the way to go. I've had such good experience with all of mine I won't buy another conventional battery again. even under huge power draws with the vehicle off they hold there charges well.

(insert quote here)
post #13 of 15 Old 04-02-2017, 09:39 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DmfHiggins View Post
Optimas are definitely the way to go.
Optima's are not what they used to be. Typical life span is about 1 year.
AGM batteries are also vented...
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-03-2017, 02:32 AM
Icarus

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to check that those trail lights are fused at the battery as well...

Ϣr
post #15 of 15 Old 04-03-2017, 05:47 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
You might want to check that those trail lights are fused at the battery as well...
Good point.

jhanna
denton county, tx

Tags
engine , lj , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in