LJ headlights stay on, suggestions? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-23-2014, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

LJ headlights stay on, suggestions?

So driving in to work today, at some point I noticed the high beam indicator on my 05 LJ was on. My DRL were on, but I never noticed the high beam icon lit up when DRL are on so I figured something was wrong. First thing I tried was toggling the high beam lever, but the icon didn't turn off.

When I stopped at a light behind a shiny car, I checked my lights and my DRL went to ON and went to HI with no problem as I played with the lever. Upon parking my Jeep and turning it off, I saw the headlights remained lit.

Playing around with the light control switch, everything worked as it should but at the end in the OFF position the lights were still on. Pulling every single fuse from the fusebox made no difference.

I had to run so I left the Jeep like that for an hour and when I returned the headlights were off, the battery was fine and the headlight switch worked fine. It's gone for now but I don't know why it happened or got fixed and if it'll return at another in-opportune time.

I read of 1 other similar case online where somone's power line to the horn had somehow crossed with their headlight wire, and I did honk the horn once on my way into work. But repeated honking on the way home resulted in no problems (other than weird stares )

Can anyone offer any other suggestions or advice on what the problem might have been; whether I should follow the "If it doesn't come back don't worry about it" Jeep logic someone suggested for noises; and what I should look at/for under the hood or elsewhere as I try to investigate this.

Thank you as always!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 04:07 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the MFS (multi function switch) has just gone bad. Fortunately it's an easy, fast, and inexpensive repair that only requires a phillips head screwdriver.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-24-2014, 05:39 AM
mike_dippert
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have the same problem with my fog light indicator. I believe Jerry is right about the MFS. I think my problem is corrosion from a topless rain storm two years ago. My radio was trashed, my cruise control turns off randomly, and most recently the fog indicator randomly comes on. I don't have lights on that circuit so I just pulled the relay and bandaided the annoyance until I get around to replacing the MFS.

post #4 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Pentara

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Late update but... I fixed the issue.

After checking the MFS's functionality, which worked fine for turning on/off the lights/blinkers, I replaced the daytime running lights module. (Daytime Running Light Module Dorman 704-304)

After doing this, and remembering that the daytime running lights don't turn on until the Jeep has started moving at least a few cm, the DRL came on and are working as normal. Given I had the original DRL module which is now 10 years old I guess it's no surprise it died. Not looking forward to learning what else fails at the 10 year mark.

If I ever figure out how to post pictures on the forum, I'll attach a step by step photo guide to replacing the module. In the meanwhile if anyone wants to know how to do this... Unclip the 1 wire connecting to the module. Unscrew 2 screws holding the module to the firewall inside the engine bay. Attach new module in the same place with the 2 screws, being careful not to drop any. (Location in my LJ is in the engine bay just in front of the driver.) Re-connect the plug to the DRL module. Start jeep and let it move to see if DRL's will turn on.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 09:24 AM
JeepUke1
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue with my 2002 TJ while on a SAR task in the woods. The temporary fix was pulling the plugs from the rear of the headlights, easily accessible from under the hood. Next day I got a couple of DRL modules from the wrecker, and all is good again. There's quite a few Jeep models (and I think Chrysler too) that have the same module. Mine came from a Grand Wagoneer.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 01:39 PM
gargyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've replaced the DRL module in my 2003 Sahara 3 times in the eight years I've had it.
I replaced it again just last week.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Tonellin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

This is just a Canadian issue correct?

06 LJ Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 02:02 PM
329892 - Deactivated
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That would be the Daytime Running Lights Module. Top centre of firewall, a black box.

2 choices,
Buy a new module. About $50.00.... and wait for it to fail again... when you are not there, or

Cut the red and white wire. You will not have DRL but you will not have a dead battery if the next module fails when you are not there.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0012.JPG  
post #9 of 9 Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM
gargyle
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I believe it is just a Canadian "thing".
All vehicles here have to have daytime running lights.
Something about being seen on the wide open prairie.
I'm not knocking it though. I think it's a safety feature that has been proven to work.

Tags
headlights , lj , wont turn off

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in