LJ death wobble - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing drilling a new hole will do is center the axle under the jeep. She is essentially running a 31 and not wheeling it so tire clearance is not an issue. The only thing the track bar does is keep the axle from moving side to side. If everything is tight and reasonably centered there is no reason for it to wobble.

After thinking about it overnight I'm pretty sure its time for the steering box.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 08:45 AM
usmc1985

Check the wheel bearings, ujoints, balljoints, and steering stabilizer as well. Im sure you have but never hurts to recheck.
post #18 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 08:55 AM
redrelyt12
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Stabilizer will only mask the problem. Won't cause wobble

I never make the same mistake twice - it's more like three or four times.

post #19 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Bearings feel tight, axle joints have been replaced somewhat recently, no play in the balljoints and the stabilizer feels fine. Even loosened and retorqued the control arms with weight on them just to rule that out.

Not having any cupping or funny tire wear makes me lean away from a single bad bearing or ball joint as well.
post #20 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan455 View Post
The only thing drilling a new hole will do is center the axle under the jeep. She is essentially running a 31 and not wheeling it so tire clearance is not an issue. The only thing the track bar does is keep the axle from moving side to side. If everything is tight and reasonably centered there is no reason for it to wobble.

After thinking about it overnight I'm pretty sure its time for the steering box.
I'm aware of what the track bar does, and I agree, it shouldn't have anything to do with the wobble.. BUT, as hard as tracking down death wobble can be, I would take the 5 mins to drill a new hole and center that axle to be 100% sure it's not affecting anything.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff
post #21 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 09:49 AM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88
Harmonic vibration. And no I am not an engineer.
Resonant frequency.
post #22 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM
EarlBalentine
2018 LJ Wrangler 

I bought a new 2014 Wrangler Sport 2/door stock a few months ago. I notice when I would hit a bump the tires/wheels would wobble a little bit. I just thought that was the nature of a small vehicle with large wheels and tire. I got tired of the 2/door and traded it in for the 2014 Wrangler Sahara 4/door. Now the bumps seem better with no wobble, probable due to the longer wheel base I think. Maybe I need to add some suspension part to make the wheels and tires a little tighter?
post #23 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Jwinecoff00

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlBalentine View Post
I bought a new 2014 Wrangler Sport 2/door stock a few months ago. I notice when I would hit a bump the tires/wheels would wobble a little bit. I just thought that was the nature of a small vehicle with large wheels and tire. I got tired of the 2/door and traded it in for the 2014 Wrangler Sahara 4/door. Now the bumps seem better with no wobble, probable due to the longer wheel base I think. Maybe I need to add some suspension part to make the wheels and tires a little tighter?
You're new so here..

1. If you have a specific question pertaining to your Jeep JK, post in the JK technical thread.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/

2. Wheelbase has nothing to do with any death wobble.

3. I have no idea what that last sentence means.

2006 Solar Yellow LJ Rubicon

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Instagram @Jwinecoff
post #24 of 28 Old 08-07-2014, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just tried Napa for another box, they are on backorder with no known due date. I'm going to try a few other places but is there another option for this box? There are no plans of serious wheeling tires will most likely stay at 33"s
post #25 of 28 Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 AM Thread Starter
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Checked a few other places for a new steering box, all seem to be unavailable and are pretty crazy money as well.

Does anyone know of other options? I'm OK with having to do a little fab work, mostly concerned with something that has been used and known to work
post #26 of 28 Old 08-08-2014, 08:51 AM
fordtech
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnmadn88 View Post
Harmonic vibration.

And no I am not an engineer.
Obviously.

fuel in my veins, mountains on the brain......
Current-06 Unlimited. Past- 98 XJ, 95 YJ, some Fords.
BUFFALO NY JEEPERS-

Just your friendly neighborhood x-ford technician...
post #27 of 28 Old 08-08-2014, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
bosoxfan455
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just read about adapting the pre 03 steering box as a replacement, seems like its just cut out the mounting hole and weld it back in then get the other power steering li es as well.

Is that it? Seems like a fairly cheap and easy option at this point. Has anyone actually done it?
post #28 of 28 Old 08-08-2014, 10:02 AM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan455 View Post

I know the track bar keeps the axle centered, but if the jeep is lifted and the axle isn't re-centered it will change the geometry of the suspension, making the other components work harder, and possibly fail sooner.
"If the roll center location is not ideal for the vehicle, it forces the engineer to try to ‘correct’ the problem with spring and/or shock tuning – which always results in a loss of performance somewhere else. This is one of the critical geometry parameters that must be right before you tune, or lift, the vehicle. When properly located relative to the center of gravity the roll-centers (defined by track bar placement) will allow the engineer to further optimize overall suspension performance via springs and shocks, etc"
Anyway good luck, and since I am just learning about jeeps myself, I will defer to the people with more knowledge & experience

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in