That little plastic spacer thingy behind the clutch pedal.... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

That little plastic spacer thingy behind the clutch pedal....

I have a question for you guys, I have an 06 Unlimited with the 6 Speed Manual, and a couple of months back, the plastic cylinder spacer thingy that is on the back side of the clutch pedal on the shaft that goes into the firewall exploded on me. (Pushed too hard on the clutch pedal while I got into my Jeep and was situating myself in the seat, kind of dumb, but it happened). And that gave my clutch an extra inch or so of travel down the the floor. I noticed afterward, that everything seemed ok, so I just left it. I then began to notice when I would push the clutch to start my Jeep, that if I pushed the pedal to the area that used to be protected by the spacer, that I would hear a strange whining sound from under the Jeep while it idled, but if I let off the clutch a bit to its normal travel zones, it stopped. Now fast forward a few months later, and although the Jeep has been driving fine, I have noticed that it seems my clutch was getting ready to go, and in fact just went out yesterday (I'll be replacing it this weekend with a Luk kit). Now, all that being said, my questions are this:
What, if any, damage could be caused by that spacer not being there anymore?
Could that have contributed to a very short (In my opinion) lifespan on my clutch? (Jeep only has 70k miles on it, and I've driven manual transmissions all my life, including another TJ and I never had a clutch go out so rapidly on me, so I don't believe it had anything to do with my driving habits, I'm thinking either this spacer or the previous owner)
Does anybody have a part number to replace that part, or would it be easier to fabricate something?

Thanks

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That part is the neutral safety switch.

An ugly Jeep with some stuff.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
flying_bosun

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDogDoc View Post
That part is the neutral safety switch.
Yep. Not sure if the extra throw in the pedal caused premature wear of the clutch, but I am surprised that you didn't discover that the rig wouldn't start once you broke the switch unless you used the fuse bypass.

No need to replace it for function unless you like having the clutch safety feature, but you might fab a spacer to limit the clutch throw in case the extra is harmful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Paul
“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul
"Did you exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"

post #4 of 9 Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
RAAB3485

2004 WJ 

See I thought it might be the neutral safety switch, but it still functions 100% as it should. Doesn't start without the clutch depressed, does with it depressed, and it isn't bypassed. I wonder if I somehow leave enough of it intact that the switch still works. Odd. Thanks for the help.

Eric

post #5 of 9 Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
RAAB3485

2004 WJ 

Bump for the new day....
Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not I might be causing some sort of damage with the extra travel? Or is the general consensus to not worry about it?

Eric

post #6 of 9 Old 05-25-2012, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
RAAB3485

2004 WJ 

Here is an update for everyone. I pulled my transmission and yanked out my old clutch, only to find....that it was perfectly fine. Well, since I had it out and already had a new luk kit in hand, I put it in, replacing the sachs kit that was in there, and then upon reassembly, I found what caused my problems and found what broke! I found that when I mashed down on the clutch that day, I had destroyed not the neutral safety switch, but the plastic washer behind it that keeps your clutch from depressing too far into the master cylinder, and then in the process, I also broke the plunger inside the master cylinder, which eventually bound up causing the slave cylinder to keep the clutch partially depressed, which is why my clutch was slipping! For anyone interested, here is the thread on how I remedied that situation without completely replacing the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and all the tubework as Chrysler expects you to.

Eric

post #7 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 06:17 AM
JustinCHorst
2005 LJ Wrangler 

How hard did you step on this thing
post #8 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
RAAB3485

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCHorst View Post
How hard did you step on this thing
Well, I'm 6'4" and at the time weighed 260 lbs, so you do the math. It proved to be an expensive mistake that I won't make again.

Eric

post #9 of 9 Old 05-26-2012, 11:33 PM
George Dickel

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry I missed this thread prior to the solution. So you'll know, I don't have a nuetral safety switch and have never had any issues.

'98 Wrangler Sport, 4.6L Stroker
12 Counterweight 258 Crank (cut snout-casting #3214723), Sealed Power +.030 Hypereutectic Pistons, 5.875" Connecting Rods, CompCams 68-231-4, Ported/Polished Head, Edelbrock Header, 24# Ford Blue-top Injectors, 63mm bored OEM Throttle Body, Port matched Intake, Autolite Platinum plugs, Accel Coil, LiveWires Distributor & Wires, Centerforce Clutch, Hurst Shifter, modified Mustang GT Air Cannister - CAI, 18" Magnaflow and 2 1/2" exhaust, Balanced Rotating Assembly, Custom PCM tune.
Yeah, I built it!

Exhaust clip:

'04 Mustang GT, 4.6L
Light modifications

Read more, Post less, Search often

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in