Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

List of essential trail gear/equipment

9K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  RogueSpear2023 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

With the spring coming and everyone itching to get some wheeling in I was looking to put together a list of gear you consider essential for a weekend of off-roading. What should you pack? What equipment is best for recovery? Tools? Things you need out on the trail...

Thanks everyone, just got my jeep and looking to take my first full weekend trip this spring. I want to be properly prepared and think it'd benefit everyone. :2thumbsup:

#2 ·
Ths was published in 4Wheeling Magazine a couple months ago. I liked it so much I copied it down then.

Bare Necessities
Duct Tape
Baling wire
Zip Ties
WD-40
Ratchet Strap
Tow Strap
Gerber
4' Length Of 1/4" Chain Or Bigger
Jug Of Water
Warm Jacket
First Aid Kit
Snack Food. I.E. Granola Or Candy Bars
Fire Extinguisher
Flashlight
Matches/Lighter

Suggestions
Tool Bag Containing:
Screwdrivers(3 different sizes)
Pliers(dikes, needle nose, channel locks, snap ring, adjustable, locking grips)
Hammer(ballpeen)
Wrenches(standard and metric)
Adjustabel Wrench
Spark Plug Socket
Sockets(standard and metric)
Ratchet
Pick Tools
Test Light
Prybar
Jack
Tire Repair Kit
Electrical Tape
Allen Wrenches
Hacksaw

Personal Stuff
Toilet Paper
Sunscreen
Bug Spray
Food And Water
Extra Jackets
Rags/Towels

Spare Parts
Tie Rod Ends
Heim Joints(for steering and linked suspension)
Engine Belts
Axelshafts
U-Joints(Axelshafts and Driveshaft)
Spare Tire
Spare Locking Hub Or Set Of Drive Flanges
Spare Bolts
Fuses For Your Truck
Radiator Hose
Hose Clamps
Electrical Crimp Kit
Valve Cores
Lug Nuts

Lubes
Oil
P/S Fluid
Brake Fluid
Gas
RTV
Water
Gear Oil
WD-40

Camping Gear
Warm Clothes And Rain Gear
Tent/Good Tarp
Camping Stove And Fuel
Sleeping Bag
Cooler

Bonus
Air Compressior/CO2 Tank
Impact Gun And Sockets
Underhood Welder

Getting Unstuck
Winch
Winch Control
Shackles
Spare cable For Winch
Chain(Grade 70)
Snatch Block
Hi-Lift Jack
Pull-Pal Recovery Anchor
Shovel
Ax
Snatch Strap
Gloves

Navigation
Maps
GPS
Compass
Radio
Cell Phone

#4 · (Edited)
A 12 pack and some good tennis shoes are essential when you wheel alone.That will get you to the main road to call AAA.:cheers2:

#5 ·
well if I had all that stuff in my jeep when I wheeled it, I wouldn't have room for any seats, my top, or even me....

#8 ·
you dont need it all in the jeep just have it in your tow rig (if you tow) or split it with ya buddy in their rig or tow vehicle. if you break while wheelin someone can run you back to the camp or truck to get the parts you need to fix your junk that broke. that how i get down.

#10 ·
I carry a small tool box with some basic tools, a small socket set with all the common sockets on the Wrangler and the corresponding open end wrenches, torx bits, screwdrivers, a small electrical kit I put together (some wire, fuses, connectors, electrical tape, etc), zip ties, duct tape, couple small pieces of vacuum hose, jumper cables, WD40, TIRE PLUG KIT, a few other misc things. All that in your average size toolbox about 18" x 12" 8" or so.

I also have an "SUV Box" :

Dimensions: 35" L x 14" W x 13" H fits PERFECTLY between the seat brackets. In there, I have a small shovel, hatchet, pry bar (I have used it) my tire changing tools, Hi-Lift accessories, 2 tow straps, jug of water, quart of oil, quart of trans fluid, and a folded up poncho. During the winter months, I keep an extra pair of gloves and a hat in there too. I also have a fire extinguisher mounted to the front of the box as well.

Strapped to the top of that, I have this Jeep bag

with a plethora of EMS supplies that most people would NEVER have a use for, but I am a volunteer firefighter/EMT so I actually use it occasionally, mainly OFF the trail, but I'm sure a small first aid kit would do most people just fine.

I'm sure over the years I'll find more things to put in there, and things I can do without, but thats where I'm a for now.

#12 ·
MikeRi24 I have similar ems bag but it is brimming now, my department order new ones similar to the size of yours I hope they show up soon. Most of the people in the department are first responders so what we have is fine for them, but as an EMT I have to carry so much more stuff, I have to carry two of our old bags to fit everything I may need. But as for any one else a small first aid kit would be fine, just make sure you have plenty of gauze.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.