Which line is the return line in 42rle? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
sandjunkie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
Does it really matter for an external cooler that much?
Probably not but I wanted the added cooler to follow the radiator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
BriansCJ

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandjunkie View Post
Probably not but I wanted the added cooler to follow the radiator.
BTW, this will solve a problem if you ever replace your rad.

Apparently, they changed the fitting sized for the trans cooler lines in 05. The relacement rads do not have the correct fitting, causing me to have to cut the cooler lines and splice in new fittings. Worked out ok, but leaks occasionally and hangs down a little more than stock.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Daily Driver & Weekend Wheeler

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Slow
post #18 of 26 Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Texanav8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Clearing the Confusion

So I'm going to have to throw in on this since I took this thread to be correct when I installed my external transmission filter (with option for another cooler).

I'll be posting more about that project when it's finally done and correct, but for now I had to correct this.

Looking at the transmission from the driver's side toward the passenger side, the two fluid lines are easily identified as high and low. On my 2006 LJ Rubicon, the upper line runs to the DRIVER'S side of the Cooler and the Lower line runs to the PASSENGER side (This is opposite of what Unlimite04 said).

The flow path is then:
  1. Transmission Oil Pan
  2. Transmission Oil Pump
  3. Transmission clutch circuits (see the diagrams in the manual's link below)
  4. Transmission LOWER Port
  5. Cooler Passenger side
  6. Cooler driver's side
  7. Transmission UPPER port
  8. (Repeat back to oil pan)

I now have a 'fixed' hose on the upper -> driver's side and will be adding my oil temperature sensor and filter to the other side :/

The manual doesn't lay this out very well, but it is interesting reading for anyone who is working on them.

SCRIBD - 42RLE-AUTO Transmission Manual

Also, I haven't found a good way to remove the hoses because of the stupid "Jiffy type" fittings. Here's a great video on how they work: Youtube Link

Hope this saves someone some heartache.

My Jeep Build Thread: http://bit.ly/15MGE7C

post #19 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 08:25 PM
GooseNibbleBS

Garage
I hope you read this far

There's some bad info on this thread.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you have the 42rle 4-speed automatic offered from 2003+ that your return line, that is the line that is carrying ATF+4 from the radiator back to the transmission, is located on the DRIVERS side of the radiator. It is the shorter of the two 3/8" rubber lines on the bottom of radiator. Again, ATF goes IN the radiator on the passenger side and OUT on the drivers...end of story.
I was looking to perform a flush using the trans pump and found so much conflicting info that I finally just went with what this thread was stating. Which I know now from the huge mess of ATF on the floor of my garage, is the opposite of how the 42rle actually works.
post #20 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

GOOSENIBBLEBS'S JEEP
User Has Not Filled Out Jeep Information.

And WTFAY...
post #21 of 26 Old 08-27-2016, 09:01 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansCJ View Post
BTW, this will solve a problem if you ever replace your rad.

Apparently, they changed the fitting sized for the trans cooler lines in 05. The relacement rads do not have the correct fitting, causing me to have to cut the cooler lines and splice in new fittings. Worked out ok, but leaks occasionally and hangs down a little more than stock.
Never had that problem buying a OEM radiator

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #22 of 26 Old 10-04-2016, 06:15 PM
BriansCJ

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
Never had that problem buying a OEM radiator
This was back when OEM TJ parts were pulling a premium, and I was poor. Aftermarket was just over $100 shipped, compared to $3-$350 for a OEM.

We ended up selling that jeep about a year after anyway.

- Slow
post #23 of 26 Old 10-04-2016, 06:23 PM
BriansCJ

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Apparently I'm not the only one to have that problem.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/tr...oblem-1354728/

- Slow
post #24 of 26 Old 03-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Mictrik
2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is correct for my 2004 TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseNibbleBS View Post
There's some bad info on this thread.
I can tell you with 100% certainty that if you have the 42rle 4-speed automatic offered from 2003+ that your return line, that is the line that is carrying ATF+4 from the radiator back to the transmission, is located on the DRIVERS side of the radiator. It is the shorter of the two 3/8" rubber lines on the bottom of radiator. Again, ATF goes IN the radiator on the passenger side and OUT on the drivers...end of story.
I was looking to perform a flush using the trans pump and found so much conflicting info that I finally just went with what this thread was stating. Which I know now from the huge mess of ATF on the floor of my garage, is the opposite of how the 42rle actually works.
I just flushed the 42RLE transmission on my 2004 Jeep TJ using the cooler lines. I disconnected the straight hose coming from the drivers side of the radiator. This i can also confirm is the RETURN LINE BACK to the TRANSMISSION. I disconnected the line (hose) where it attaches to the metal line, this way i used the hose from the radiator to pump old fluid into a 2.5 gallon container. i did this a few quarts at a time adding fresh fluid to the fill tube each time to replace the old fluid. I exchanged around 10 quarts when I finished adjusting the fluid level. The transmission pumped fluid while in PARK which makes it a relatively safe procedure. The total capacity is around 8.8 quarts according to the factory service manual; i removed and replaced a little extra. The factory service manual also states that the fluid level should be checked with a warm transmission while in neutral. Fluid that gets on the dipstick from the side of the fill tube can give you a false reading so look at both sides of the dip stick to see if the fluid is on both sides.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-29-2017, 09:33 PM
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Use a small pick to pop out the wire clip.
Attached Thumbnails
P1090661.jpg   P1090657.jpg  

:)
post #26 of 26 Old 03-30-2017, 07:18 AM
grininmonkey

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mictrik View Post
I just flushed the 42RLE transmission on my 2004 Jeep TJ using the cooler lines. I disconnected the straight hose coming from the drivers side of the radiator. This i can also confirm is the RETURN LINE BACK to the TRANSMISSION. I disconnected the line (hose) where it attaches to the metal line, this way i used the hose from the radiator to pump old fluid into a 2.5 gallon container. i did this a few quarts at a time adding fresh fluid to the fill tube each time to replace the old fluid. I exchanged around 10 quarts when I finished adjusting the fluid level. The transmission pumped fluid while in PARK which makes it a relatively safe procedure. The total capacity is around 8.8 quarts according to the factory service manual; i removed and replaced a little extra. The factory service manual also states that the fluid level should be checked with a warm transmission while in neutral. Fluid that gets on the dipstick from the side of the fill tube can give you a false reading so look at both sides of the dip stick to see if the fluid is on both sides.
Yep.... I just did an Aux Cooler install and was all sorts of confused on which was outbound and inbound, for my 2004 42RLE the correct information is what you and the previous person said.
Mictrik likes this.

Tags
lj , wrangler , transmission , tranny , cooler , return line

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in