Limited slips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
marc1kim
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Limited slips & Lockers

Are there any other limited slips available for TJ other than stock or the Detroit Trutrac?
I've got the D35, and am not a hardcore wheeler...at least not yet. But I don't like the fact of the D35 being an open dif.

Also, I noticed that Aussie lockers makes a lunchbox kit for the D35 27 spline. Anyone with experince on these?

05 LJ
08 JKU Rubicon

Last edited by marc1kim; 12-02-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
McLovin
2000 TJ Wrangler 

auburn ectd is a limited slip, but I dont know of any others that what you listed. At least for the dana 35 and 30. I think for the dana 44 you can get a powerlock which is supposed to be a tight LS.

I have 4 new zone hydro shocks for sale...PM for a price.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
lupinsea

2001 TJ Wrangler 

It is not recommended to lock a D35 with stock 27 spline axleshafts.

If you want to lock the D35, install a "Super35" or S35 kit. They replace the weak stock rear carrier with a full-case replacement locker (ARB, Detroit, or I believe OX) and 30-ish spline axleshafts for a significant strength boost.

If you want to stick with an LSD then the Truetracs are the best LSD you can get for a Jeep in terms of strength, durability, reliability, and ease of maintenance. I believe they are the only gear-based LSD for the TJs. Everything else uses a clutch-based design which will wear out over time and require special servicing and friction modifier for the lubrication. The Truetracs have no clutch packs to wear out and take the same gear oil as a regular diff. There's also no special servicing required of the Truetracs.

Also, clutch-based LSDs have a certain amount of pre-load on the clutches. This can cause them to get a bit squirely on slipery, packed surfaces such as snow roads.

The Truetracs act like an open diff until there is a torque imbalance, THEN the helical gears are forced out against the case sending torque to the wheel with traction. This happens instantaneously and so smoothly you won't notice it happening. As such they are much more stable in slick conditions.

You can read more about the Truetracs here.

Regardless of which LSD you go with (though, I'd HIGHLY recommend the Truetracs) you can get HD 27 spline axles for ~20% boost in strength. Not enough for a lunch box locker but pretty good for the LSDs. Yukon makes a set of the HD 27 spline D35 axles out of 1541H or you can get the stronger chromoly axles from Alloy USA I believe.

- Jay

post #4 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 08:19 AM
BILL G

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Go with the Tru Trac if you want limited slip.I have them f+r.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 10:10 AM
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I went with front TrueTrac and rear ARB. We just had 2 days of rain followed by a sharp temp drop and a good snowfall leaving icy roads with snow on top. Saturday evening I went tooling around the county roads and the Jeep was amazing, I left the ARB unlocked and the TrueTrac kept everything going where I wanted. I would have done F\R TrueTrac but there are some trails that really need at least one locker around here.

If I wanted a DD for mild/medium trails I'd go TrueTrac in back for sure, doubly so over a locker if I had a D35 in back.

Dave Shannon
Durango, CO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

post #6 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 10:38 AM
rpg1520
Heavily Armed Liberal
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have them front and rear also, last Saturday I went out with a friend of mine who runs two ARB's lockers, we were pushing thru thigh deep wet snow. I went where ever he was able to go, only difference is that he would get stuck, turn on his front locker, and pull himself out, I just kept going no problem.

I the rocks he would dust me, but on most of the stuff we do, it's about the same.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 11:55 AM
4crnrsco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn_c
auburn ected is a limited slip,
When it is disengaged. When engaged, it should be a full spool, but there always seems to be a debate about that on these forums. Going up steep slickrock shelves with the locker engaged, I've never noticed mine slip.

I am very happy with the ECTEDS, both on the road and the trail.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-03-2007, 12:35 PM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I've got an Aussie up front and a Truetrac in my D44. Someday I will invest in selectables or a Detroit, but for now the setup works amazing. The Truetrac has been able to conquer 95% of all my wheeling needs without any trouble at all. If it ever starts to slip too much it's usually nothing the handbrake can't fix. I love the extra traction it gives in wet and icy conditions on the road as well.. especially when merging into traffic during bad weather.

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in