JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/)
-   -   Lift and gears (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lift-gears-3564690/)

Denbowcj7 01-02-2016 03:24 PM

Lift and gears
 
I'm running stock gears (4.10) and 2.5 RC lift at the moment with 32s. I'm pretty sure I want to do 4.88 gears with around 3.5-4 in lift. With my 32s the 4.10s aren't horrible but yet I'll end up going to a bigger size tire eventually. My 4cyl can't handle too much more. It does alright at low speeds but once I get up to highway speeds it doesn't like to stay at a constant speed. This is my daily but also go off-road probably once every month if that. I would love some opinions so I can hear all the options I have. I'm a college student so I'm steadily saving money for this project. Might be a while till I get enough. So opinions of height and brand of lift and if that's the best option for my gears.
Thanks.

Denbowcj7 01-02-2016 08:31 PM

.

365Jeep 01-02-2016 08:39 PM

What size tires are you wanting to run? Are you keeping your 32s for the foreseeable future?

Denbowcj7 01-02-2016 09:41 PM

Would 4.88s be able to do 35s? I know for sure I'm atleast gonna go 33s

lander2312 01-02-2016 09:48 PM

I have the 2.5 and have 4.88and I love them. 35s and your going to have to do more than gears. Will need to upgrade the rear axel for sure cause the D35 won't like the 35s for long. With that said the 4.88 give me what I need but if going to 35s and sticking with the 4banger I would go 5.13. Only people I know who even make the 5.13 for the D35 is revolution.
Good luck

Denbowcj7 01-02-2016 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lander2312
I have the 2.5 and have 4.88and I love them. 35s and your going to have to do more than gears. Will need to upgrade the rear axel for sure cause the D35 won't like the 35s for long. With that said the 4.88 give me what I need but if going to 35s and sticking with the 4banger I would go 5.13. Only people I know who even make the 5.13 for the D35 is revolution. Good luck

yea you're right about about the d35. Guess I'm just gonna stay with 35. Can't afford a 44 and I really don't need tons. Thanks

Denbowcj7 01-02-2016 10:04 PM

Any opinions on lifts. Best for daily driver but does pretty good off-road. See a lot about zones but have not road in a jeep with a zone lift. Don't wanna spend no more than a 1,000 on one.

lander2312 01-03-2016 01:11 AM

Well if staying with the D35 then I suggest sticking with 33s. With 33s you will be perfect with the 4.88s.
Now as for lifts it all depends on what your really going to do. A lot of people think they will go wheeling and never do...or what they do is very mild. If that's the case get a budget lift. You said only 1000.... So it limits you if you pay to install

Denbowcj7 01-03-2016 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lander2312
Well if staying with the D35 then I suggest sticking with 33s. With 33s you will be perfect with the 4.88s. Now as for lifts it all depends on what your really going to do. A lot of people think they will go wheeling and never do...or what they do is very mild. If that's the case get a budget lift. You said only 1000.... So it limits you if you pay to install

I've got a 2.5 lift on it now and I'm upgrading because of the trails. I probably won't have to pay to install. Should be able to do most of it myself. But the 1000 is just the lift, not installing it. I'm just trying to find something that rides smooth but yet doesn't lack anything off-road. I'm not gonna give it hell off-road and do anything too serious but on a 1-5 scale 3 would be my max on off-roading

Ben 01-03-2016 08:06 AM

I wish I was back in college saving for a TJ build.
Hold onto your money for a bit while you're figuring it out.
A 4 banger will only produce so much torque.
A D35 rear will only live through so much torque.
Going from 4.10s to 4.88s, if done by a shop, you're likely to be about $2000 out the door.
(I'm sure someone will tell me that number is wrong by some marginal amount)
That two grand is a lot of cost opportunity for a young man, and isn't going to deliver in spades.
Sure, it will allow you to get slightly larger tires on your Jeep, and make it slightly cooler.
Problem is, if you only go maybe once a month, the fun delta between a 4.88/33" 2.5L TJ and a 4.10/32" 2.5L TJ, is going to be barely noticeable, especially if you're open/open.
If I had your Jeep, money, responsibilities, (and your seemingly infinite supply of potential future wives), I'd get a lunchbox locker for the front, and keep a few dollars in the bank for whatever maintenance might come up.
A front autolocker is one of the most cost effective dollars to performance you can do in one of these things.
I'd keep that TJ in top condition for whatever life might throw at me.
Easy for me to say as a monday morning quarterback talking.
Good luck with your schooling and your Jeep, in that order.

:cheers:

Denbowcj7 01-03-2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WKdeuce
I wish I was back in college saving for a TJ build. Hold onto your money for a bit while you're figuring it out. A 4 banger will only produce so much torque. A D35 rear will only live through so much torque. Going from 4.10s to 4.88s, if done by a shop, you're likely to be about $2000 out the door. (I'm sure someone will tell me that number is wrong by some marginal amount) That two grand is a lot of cost opportunity for a young man, and isn't going to deliver in spades. Sure, it will allow you to get slightly larger tires on your Jeep, and make it slightly cooler. Problem is, if you only go maybe once a month, the fun delta between a 4.88/33" 2.5L TJ and a 4.10/32" 2.5L TJ, is going to be barely noticeable, especially if you're open/open. If I had your Jeep, money, responsibilities, (and your seemingly infinite supply of potential future wives), I'd get a lunchbox locker for the front, and keep a few dollars in the bank for whatever maintenance might come up. A front autolocker is one of the most cost effective dollars to performance you can do in one of these things. I'd keep that TJ in top condition for whatever life might throw at me. Easy for me to say as a monday morning quarterback talking. Good luck with your schooling and your Jeep, in that order. :cheers:

thanks, I appreciate it.

365Jeep 01-03-2016 01:27 PM

I would suggest 4.88s on 33s with your 4 banger.

For suspension, I would go for the absolute highest quality I could afford. Lockers are definitely cool and helpful, but I would wait and apply the cost of a locker to the suspension. Don't compromise suspension performance for a locker.

Building on a college budget is hard, but take your time and do it right the first time. If you are impatient, you can make costly compromises. Trust me, you don't want to make the same modification two or three times! I've been there!

Denbowcj7 01-03-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 365Jeep
I would suggest 4.88s on 33s with your 4 banger. For suspension, I would go for the absolute highest quality I could afford. Lockers are definitely cool and helpful, but I would wait and apply the cost of a locker to the suspension. Don't compromise suspension performance for a locker. Building on a college budget is hard, but take your time and do it right the first time. If you are impatient, you can make costly compromises. Trust me, you don't want to make the same modification two or three times! I've been there!

deal just came up for a locker. Aussie locker for around 250, good deal? Bad brand?

365Jeep 01-03-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denbowcj7 (Post 33430690)
deal just came up for a locker. Aussie locker for around 250, good deal? Bad brand?

There are a number of people who will recommend a front locker first. I'm not one of them. A drop in locker like an Aussie or Lock Rite is an easy solution, but I blew up a Lock Rite in my old CJ. If you're planning on doing gears anyway, wait and do a full case locker.

Your basic TJ lift kit may or may not come with adjustable upper control arms for the rear. I would spend my money first on a quality suspension system (like one without a transfer case drop). If you can keep your tires on the ground with a good flexy suspension, you will reduce your need for a locker. If you intend to keep your D30/D35 combo, work out your suspension, tires, and wheels first. That's my opinion, others may view things differently.

rda616 01-03-2016 05:08 PM

The Aussie locker is fine. Many of us have had them for years and like them.

You already have a nice long spring with the RC 2.5". You will benefit from quality shocks. The RC shocks are awful. If you don't have front disconnects, or better an antirock you aren't using the suspension travel the 2.5" kit you have is capable.

You don't need more suspension lift for a 33" tire. You need to add a 1.25" body lift and a 1" motor mount lift. This will, or should allow you to remove any transfer case drop that you may already have. With the 1.25" BL and your 2.5"SL you should require no more bumpstop extension than what you have now requires.

You need to understand more lift doesn't mean a more capable suspension, but it does require many other upgrades when you hit that 3.5"-4" mark.


The time now is 01:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.