Lift advice needed - JeepForum.com
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Lift advice needed

Finally getting ready to do some work on my 2000 TJ. Iím running 33s now with 2Ē coil spacer lift. My ultimate goal is 35s with tummy tuck. I live in South Louisiana so no mountains or rocks but Iíd like a capable setup to do some mountain trail rides on vacation. Jeep is by far heavily rode driven. So hereís what Iím considering...Zone 3Ē lift with upgraded fixed control arms, sway bar disconnects, Fox 2.0 shocks, upgraded steering stabilizer, SYE and drive shaft. Prior to moving to 35s Iíll add a 1.25Ē body lift, do a super 35 and regear for the rear end and metal cloak fenders. Iím gonna run 33s for awhile longer but will do the SYE and drive shaft with my lift. Whatís the thought on my proposed set up? Should I do a 4Ē lift or make other changes?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rheology1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Pcoakley5
Registered User
 
Pcoakley5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 12
Garage
Go with the 4”.
It’s always better to do it up front instead of playing catch up later.
Good luck! Sounds great!
Pcoakley5 is offline  
post #3 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcoakley5 View Post
Go with the 4Ē.
Itís always better to do it up front instead of playing catch up later.
Good luck! Sounds great!

So you think Iíd be better off with a 4Ē lift rather than 3Ē? Thatís gonna put me at 5.25Ē after the body lift. I just donít wanna go too high and lose my road handling. My first Jeep so Iím open to all suggestions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rheology1 is offline  
 
post #4 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Pcoakley5
Registered User
 
Pcoakley5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Georgetown
Posts: 12
Garage
Go with the 4” and skip the body lift at least for now. You can always make adjustments later. This is just my thought. I’m not an engineer. I did a 3” on a Cherokee a long time ago. After a couple of years pulled it off and put on a 4.5”. Learned my lesson.
Pcoakley5 is offline  
post #5 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcoakley5 View Post
Go with the 4Ē and skip the body lift at least for now. You can always make adjustments later. This is just my thought. Iím not an engineer. I did a 3Ē on a Cherokee a long time ago. After a couple of years pulled it off and put on a 4.5Ē. Learned my lesson.

I gotcha...can I do the tummy tuck without the 1.25Ē body lift?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rheology1 is offline  
post #6 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM
BM3
Registered User
 
BM3's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Cedar Rapids
Posts: 573
Garage
I don't think you can do a tummy tuck without a body lift. I'd do the Zone 4.25" lift combo, spend the $$ for adjustable control arms, SSYE & DC DS, upgrade brakes for the larger tires (IMO minimum is BMB pads & rotors w/33s, best is Vanco BBK for 35s)
Ironhead and joshuar98 like this.
BM3 is offline  
post #7 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM
sh00ttok1ll
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. George, Ut
Posts: 42
I'd do the 4" springs now and run 33s. When you decide to go to 35s, add a 1.25" body lift. It isn't too high. My wife drives ours to work sometimes. Freeway and surface streets. She had never mentioned anything even with the Antirock swaybar set for offroad.

Also, skip the way over priced Fox shocks. Rancho 5000x is the answer. Great shock for the money. Spend the savings on something else.

Edit: I forgot to add skip the fixed control arms. If you are upgrading get some thing with at least adjustable uppers. You won't be able to adjust pinion angle for the SYE with out them.
sh00ttok1ll is offline  
post #8 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 40,467
Zone 4.25" lift with 35s.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubi 2 27 1.jpg  
rheology1 and Supraquick like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #9 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Zone 4.25" lift with 35s.

Thatís perfect right there. Are you running an SYE? If so did you add adjustable rear upper arms?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rheology1 is offline  
post #10 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 04:21 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 40,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheology1 View Post
Thatís perfect right there. Are you running an SYE? If so did you add adjustable rear upper arms?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've run that lift on 4 of my Jeeps and I never used adjustable arms or a SYE. I had 33s on my 05' with it.
Attached Thumbnails
DARK BLUE JEEP.jpg  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #11 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I've run that lift on 4 of my Jeeps and I never used adjustable arms or a SYE. I had 33s on my 05' with it.

So that combo lift by itself I should be good to run 35s without drivetrain alignment issues?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rheology1 is offline  
post #12 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic
 
TheBoogieman's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: charlottesHELL
Posts: 40,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheology1 View Post
So that combo lift by itself I should be good to run 35s without drivetrain alignment issues?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All Jeeps react differently to lifts. I had to use a small 1/2" t-case drop with some washers on a couple of them (with the MML). I also lift the front of my jeeps 1" higher to level them a bit because I don't ride people in the back seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
TheBoogieman is offline  
post #13 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 AM
Tymeks
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 57
Hello, Iím in the same boat as you, asking the same questions.

Iíve come to realize after an exhaustive amount of reading, that every Jeep is just different enough. That what might exactly work for them, might not exactly work for you. Best thing you can do, is to dive into it, check it out and then ask some questions based on the current setup.

Just my opinion on that. Good luck!
Tymeks is offline  
post #14 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
rheology1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymeks View Post
Hello, Iím in the same boat as you, asking the same questions.

Iíve come to realize after an exhaustive amount of reading, that every Jeep is just different enough. That what might exactly work for them, might not exactly work for you. Best thing you can do, is to dive into it, check it out and then ask some questions based on the current setup.

Just my opinion on that. Good luck!

Yeah Iím going cheap for now then doing a Clayton Long Arm maybe 3 link. I donít wanna drop a bunch of money on stuff Iím not gonna use long term. Iíve been going back and forth with the idea of doing LA now or waiting. I have all the money put back to do it now but I got laid off recently so Iím probably gonna hold off a little while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rheology1 is offline  
post #15 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK
 
Wheelin98TJ's Avatar
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheology1 View Post
Yeah Iím going cheap for now then doing a Clayton Long Arm maybe 3 link. I donít wanna drop a bunch of money on stuff Iím not gonna use long term. Iíve been going back and forth with the idea of doing LA now or waiting. I have all the money put back to do it now but I got laid off recently so Iím probably gonna hold off a little while.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't do this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheology1 View Post
...So hereís what Iím considering...Zone 3Ē lift with upgraded fixed control arms, ...
Fixed arms from Zone are not an upgrade. They are too stiff and have bushings.

Adjustable or keep them stock.
Ironhead likes this.
Wheelin98TJ is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome