Lift advice needed - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
rheology1

Lift advice needed

Finally getting ready to do some work on my 2000 TJ. Iím running 33s now with 2Ē coil spacer lift. My ultimate goal is 35s with tummy tuck. I live in South Louisiana so no mountains or rocks but Iíd like a capable setup to do some mountain trail rides on vacation. Jeep is by far heavily rode driven. So hereís what Iím considering...Zone 3Ē lift with upgraded fixed control arms, sway bar disconnects, Fox 2.0 shocks, upgraded steering stabilizer, SYE and drive shaft. Prior to moving to 35s Iíll add a 1.25Ē body lift, do a super 35 and regear for the rear end and metal cloak fenders. Iím gonna run 33s for awhile longer but will do the SYE and drive shaft with my lift. Whatís the thought on my proposed set up? Should I do a 4Ē lift or make other changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:17 AM
Pcoakley5

Garage
Go with the 4”.
It’s always better to do it up front instead of playing catch up later.
Good luck! Sounds great!
post #3 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
rheology1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcoakley5 View Post
Go with the 4Ē.
Itís always better to do it up front instead of playing catch up later.
Good luck! Sounds great!

So you think Iíd be better off with a 4Ē lift rather than 3Ē? Thatís gonna put me at 5.25Ē after the body lift. I just donít wanna go too high and lose my road handling. My first Jeep so Iím open to all suggestions.

post #4 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 11:59 AM
Pcoakley5

Garage
Go with the 4” and skip the body lift at least for now. You can always make adjustments later. This is just my thought. I’m not an engineer. I did a 3” on a Cherokee a long time ago. After a couple of years pulled it off and put on a 4.5”. Learned my lesson.
post #5 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
rheology1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcoakley5 View Post
Go with the 4Ē and skip the body lift at least for now. You can always make adjustments later. This is just my thought. Iím not an engineer. I did a 3Ē on a Cherokee a long time ago. After a couple of years pulled it off and put on a 4.5Ē. Learned my lesson.

I gotcha...can I do the tummy tuck without the 1.25Ē body lift?

post #6 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM
BM3

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I don't think you can do a tummy tuck without a body lift. I'd do the Zone 4.25" lift combo, spend the $$ for adjustable control arms, SSYE & DC DS, upgrade brakes for the larger tires (IMO minimum is BMB pads & rotors w/33s, best is Vanco BBK for 35s)
Ironhead and joshuar98 like this.
post #7 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 12:26 PM
sh00ttok1ll

I'd do the 4" springs now and run 33s. When you decide to go to 35s, add a 1.25" body lift. It isn't too high. My wife drives ours to work sometimes. Freeway and surface streets. She had never mentioned anything even with the Antirock swaybar set for offroad.

Also, skip the way over priced Fox shocks. Rancho 5000x is the answer. Great shock for the money. Spend the savings on something else.

Edit: I forgot to add skip the fixed control arms. If you are upgrading get some thing with at least adjustable uppers. You won't be able to adjust pinion angle for the SYE with out them.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 02:50 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Zone 4.25" lift with 35s.
Attached Thumbnails
Rubi 2 27 1.jpg  
rheology1 and Supraquick like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #9 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
rheology1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Zone 4.25" lift with 35s.

Thatís perfect right there. Are you running an SYE? If so did you add adjustable rear upper arms?

post #10 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 04:21 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheology1 View Post
Thatís perfect right there. Are you running an SYE? If so did you add adjustable rear upper arms?

I've run that lift on 4 of my Jeeps and I never used adjustable arms or a SYE. I had 33s on my 05' with it.
Attached Thumbnails
DARK BLUE JEEP.jpg  

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
post #11 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
rheology1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I've run that lift on 4 of my Jeeps and I never used adjustable arms or a SYE. I had 33s on my 05' with it.

So that combo lift by itself I should be good to run 35s without drivetrain alignment issues?

post #12 of 43 Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So that combo lift by itself I should be good to run 35s without drivetrain alignment issues?

All Jeeps react differently to lifts. I had to use a small 1/2" t-case drop with some washers on a couple of them (with the MML). I also lift the front of my jeeps 1" higher to level them a bit because I don't ride people in the back seats.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
post #13 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 06:09 AM
Tymeks
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hello, Iím in the same boat as you, asking the same questions.

Iíve come to realize after an exhaustive amount of reading, that every Jeep is just different enough. That what might exactly work for them, might not exactly work for you. Best thing you can do, is to dive into it, check it out and then ask some questions based on the current setup.

Just my opinion on that. Good luck!
post #14 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
rheology1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymeks View Post
Hello, Iím in the same boat as you, asking the same questions.

Iíve come to realize after an exhaustive amount of reading, that every Jeep is just different enough. That what might exactly work for them, might not exactly work for you. Best thing you can do, is to dive into it, check it out and then ask some questions based on the current setup.

Just my opinion on that. Good luck!

Yeah Iím going cheap for now then doing a Clayton Long Arm maybe 3 link. I donít wanna drop a bunch of money on stuff Iím not gonna use long term. Iíve been going back and forth with the idea of doing LA now or waiting. I have all the money put back to do it now but I got laid off recently so Iím probably gonna hold off a little while.

post #15 of 43 Old 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah Iím going cheap for now then doing a Clayton Long Arm maybe 3 link. I donít wanna drop a bunch of money on stuff Iím not gonna use long term. Iíve been going back and forth with the idea of doing LA now or waiting. I have all the money put back to do it now but I got laid off recently so Iím probably gonna hold off a little while.

Don't do this:
Quote:
...So hereís what Iím considering...Zone 3Ē lift with upgraded fixed control arms, ...
Fixed arms from Zone are not an upgrade. They are too stiff and have bushings.

Adjustable or keep them stock.
Ironhead likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in