knuckles, TJ D30 vs XJ HP 30 w/ CAD - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

knuckles, TJ D30 vs XJ HP 30 w/ CAD

will steering knuckles from a TJ HP D30 work on a CAD HP30 from an XJ?

I'm swapping and I'd like to keep my knuckles since the knuckles that came on the HP30 don't have the ABS provision. Unfortunately I didn't even consider this until I got home and started working on it, but when I look up replacement knuckles for a TJ, they say they fit 90+ XJ's, and I believe CAD was 84-89.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 PM
fxrsliberty

The CAD axle is weaker then the low pinion...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxrsliberty View Post
The CAD axle is weaker then the low pinion...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Explain.

Obviously I know about the shaft situation, which is why I would be swapping in my TJ shafts with their larger u joints and no CAD splines and sleeve. The only thing left from the XJ on it will be the housing itself, which I can't see how could be weaker since the long side tube is supported for half its length by a big casting.

Only variable left would be the inner Cs, which I can have gusseted if need be.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner

post #4 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 07:00 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

From the XJ Tech forum:

Front Axles:
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01
post #5 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
From the XJ Tech forum:

Front Axles:
Dana 30 high pinion - reverse cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear - used 84-99 (some axles through 91 are vacuum disconnect, 92+ are non-disconnect, 89-95 with ABS have 5-297x u-joints, all 95+ have 5-297x u-joints, all others have 5-260x u-joints)

Dana 30 low pinion - standard cut - 27 spline, 1.16" diameter shafts, 7.13" ring gear, 5-297x u-joints - used 00-01
Thanks for the info but I'm confused about what you're trying to show me. My question is about whether the knuckles from the LP and the non CAD HP are interchangeable with the knuckles from the CAD HP. I've been able to confirm they use the same ball joints but I don't know if swapping them will result in the correct camber, if the ball joints are the same distance apart top to bottom, etc.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #6 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 07:14 PM
StrippedTorx

Yes they are switch them over and run whatever makes you happy.
Tj, yj, xj you’re good.
fxrsliberty likes this.
post #7 of 31 Old 06-03-2019, 07:36 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, they can be swapped. There are some differences, but for your purpose, you should be good.

What I was pointing out earlier is what I bolded.

Here's a load of MJ/XJ/YJ/TJ/LJ D30 knuckles I picked up to work on during a knuckle project. I've worked on my share of D30 knuckles.

post #8 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep, they can be swapped. There are some differences, but for your purpose, you should be good.

What I was pointing out earlier is what I bolded.

Here's a load of MJ/XJ/YJ/TJ/LJ D30 knuckles I picked up to work on during a knuckle project. I've worked on my share of D30 knuckles.

ha, holy moly that's a pile of knuckles.

Thanks for the input!

Do you have any info in response to the poster above that said the CAD axle was weaker than the low pinion? (obviously the passenger side axle and the CAD mechanism is a weak point, but the whole intent here is to swap over everything from my TJ axle that will fit, so everything but the housing and gears will be from a LP D30). If there's something weaker about the housing, it's something I haven't thought of yet but the time to know would be before I invest several hundred dollars on a gear setup for it.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #9 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 02:40 PM
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_in_4low View Post
Do you have any info in response to the poster above that said the CAD axle was weaker than the low pinion?
I'll let them explain themselves. However, you may not hear back with an explanation.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'll let them explain themselves. However, you may not hear back with an explanation.
yeah, when someone with a lower post count than even me drops a vague statement without any supporting explanation or data and then disappears...I'm not holding my breath.

Which is why I directed the question to you as someone who seems to have some experience and has been very helpful in this thread.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #11 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 03:03 PM
noise_maker

2000 TJ Wrangler 

in forward movement the reverse cut gears well be stronger then LP because the gears are meshing on the drive side of the gears that pulls them together as its turns vs pushing them apart the way a front LP works going forward. Plus the have the added benefit of keeping the drive shaft up a bit from the rocks. I never blew up a LP d30 but i pulled it when i went from 33s up to 35s, Ran 35s locked for 3 years and since then I have been running 38s for the last 3 years. I have yukon shafts and super joints. Never had any trouble till i went to 38s - since then I have blown up the R&P once when it was stupid cold (-30F +windchill) being a bit too aggressive in the snow and in a separate instance, broke a yukon short side shaft at the carrier that gave up the ghost climbing a big tire. I climb over wash-machine size rocks and don't have trouble with the housing. I'd say its plenty strong if your not your going to be stupid (tire size or skinny pedal wise). If you want to pretend your a tube buggy rock bouncer better go bigger axle wise but otherwise its plenty strong. Its not a D60 or custom front 14b - as long as you treat it for what it is - your good.
post #12 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 03:49 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Explain.

Obviously I know about the shaft situation, which is why I would be swapping in my TJ shafts with their larger u joints and no CAD splines and sleeve. The only thing left from the XJ on it will be the housing itself, which I can't see how could be weaker since the long side tube is supported for half its length by a big casting.

Only variable left would be the inner Cs, which I can have gusseted if need be.
Saying the CAD is weaker is probably debatable, but it's not necessarily going to make anything stronger either. At best it probably doesn't matter. The failure modes are definitely different though, the CAD axles tend to split in two at the cast housing, whereas the non CAD long side tube just bends. These are extreme conditions though where you'd have to be doing something real dumb.

Either way, not sure why one would go to the trouble of swapping on a low pinion D30 CAD axle when a high pinion D30 is just as easy to find, and is an actual upgrade.
post #13 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise_maker View Post
in forward movement the reverse cut gears well be stronger then LP because the gears are meshing on the drive side of the gears that pulls them together as its turns vs pushing them apart the way a front LP works going forward. Plus the have the added benefit of keeping the drive shaft up a bit from the rocks. I never blew up a LP d30 but i pulled it when i went from 33s up to 35s, Ran 35s locked for 3 years and since then I have been running 38s for the last 3 years. I have yukon shafts and super joints. Never had any trouble till i went to 38s - since then I have blown up the R&P once when it was stupid cold (-30F +windchill) being a bit too aggressive in the snow and in a separate instance, broke a yukon short side shaft at the carrier that gave up the ghost climbing a big tire. I climb over wash-machine size rocks and don't have trouble with the housing. I'd say its plenty strong if your not your going to be stupid (tire size or skinny pedal wise). If you want to pretend your a tube buggy rock bouncer better go bigger axle wise but otherwise its plenty strong. Its not a D60 or custom front 14b - as long as you treat it for what it is - your good.
good info. Yeah I'm not doing anything crazy...it'll be on 33's for the next several years. No plans to go any bigger but maybe some day way in the future might go to 35s at most. And my wheeling style is definitely more crawl than bounce.

The only reason I'm even swapping is that I'm regearing so the axle will be out of the Jeep, and repairing my swiss-cheese trackbar mount (drilled to use a stock TB with a lift) would cost as much as a used axle housing. I figured if I'm swapping housings anyway, might as well go with a HP and the local Jeep parts recycler had a whole pile of CAD axles for $150 each and had maybe 1 or 2 non-CAD HP axles that were both in worse shape. In the moment I figured, hey, that cast UCA mount means I won't have to cut the bracket off and weld a new one on to install johnny joints, and I already have a perfectly good one piece TJ long-side axle shaft to take care of the CAD situation.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #14 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
freedom_in_4low
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Either way, not sure why one would go to the trouble of swapping on a low pinion D30 CAD axle when a high pinion D30 is just as easy to find, and is an actual upgrade.
it's a high pinion CAD axle, not a low pinion. I agree, a Low Pinion CAD axle would be completely pointless.

Joe
1999 TJ Sahara
2008 MINI Cooper S
2010 Toyota 4Runner
post #15 of 31 Old 06-04-2019, 04:05 PM
freeskier93
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
it's a high pinion CAD axle, not a low pinion. I agree, a Low Pinion CAD axle would be completely pointless.
Gotcha, I missed that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in