Keep your automatic transmission alive, review/installation of Derale's tranny cooler - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 11:12 AM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Will stop by Parker today and see what they have.

Knucklehead, you mentioned you were running a "manifold" style cooler up front. I am not familiar with that style, is that a plate and fin?

I have http://www.jegs.com/i/Derale/259/13612/10002/-1 , was laying around the garage. I planed on putting this on the jeep until the Derale direct fit came out. I am now contemplating taking off the grill shell and fabbing a bracket for it in front of the radiator, below my aluminum single pass heat exchanger i use for hydro assist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 08:39 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The one that you posted a link to is what I call a manifold style cooler. With a few adel clamps you can mount the cooler to the "V" support struts in front of the engine radiator...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #393 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 09:10 PM
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a b&m mounted in the grill area on the vbar supports. Im here in FL where its 95 degrees pretty much 7-8 months of the year. Just did a savvy tt and full skids and highly doubt i could mount an additional fan cooled cooler down there. Anyone done this?

post #394 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 10:47 PM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

i have a Rokmen belly skid. I think it sits 3" below the rails and the Savvy sits like 2 inches. The frame rail mounted unit is still a good bit above the skid. I would think that would be the case with the Savvy unit also. you could also body mount a cooler to the tub above the drive line. A lot of guys have done this
post #395 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 10:49 PM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The one that you posted a link to is what I call a manifold style cooler. With a few adel clamps you can mount the cooler to the "V" support struts in front of the engine radiator...

Thanks for the info. Bought a few fittings and i have P / adel clamps laying about the garage. I guess i will go get some more hose and tear into this this weekend.
post #396 of 577 Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 PM
05LJTampa
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by windkn0t
i have a Rokmen belly skid. I think it sits 3" below the rails and the Savvy sits like 2 inches. The frame rail mounted unit is still a good bit above the skid. I would think that would be the case with the Savvy unit also. you could also body mount a cooler to the tub above the drive line. A lot of guys have done this
my savvy skid doesnt stick below the frame except in the middle. The flat part of the skid bolts directly to the frame. Also dont think a tub mount would work bc i had to clearance my transmission tunnel the auto trans not sit against my tub.
post #397 of 577 Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05LJTampa View Post
Just did a savvy tt and full skids and highly doubt i could mount an additional fan cooled cooler down there. Anyone done this?
I don't see why you couldn't?

I did the B&M one with my Belly-Up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by windkn0t View Post
Thanks for the info. Bought a few fittings and i have P / adel clamps laying about the garage. I guess i will go get some more hose and tear into this this weekend.
If you get the right size, you can slip it in through the headlight bucket opening...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #398 of 577 Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 AM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Front Cooler

This is not a build description, but I have a cooler with fan in front for the radiator, so I know it can be done nicely. Below is an overview of what I did.
I mounted my B&M 70298 inside the grill with mount to the upper and lower grill shell.
http://www.bmracing.com/products/702...50-cfm-rating/
For clearance I cut off the cooler mount and used the motor mount for my support straps. My clearance between the Condenser and the motor is about compared to the vee bracket to condenser clearance of about 3/8+. The grill bars were trimmed to get clearance cooler to grill. My trusty Dremel made it easy and the grill bars are still as strong as before.
For what its worth I have a 180+F switch to turn on the fan mounted beside the gauge sender in the trans pan. I also have a manual switch on the dash to override the temp switch in the event it becomes unreliable. I also use a thermostat (180F) before the cooler and am bypassing the radiator cooler/heater. The 170F switch in the cooler is not used. With this setup the trans heats up to 170-175F at flat highway speeds in about 7-10 miles at an ambient temp of 50F. Have to wait for next winter to do a 0F report. Coasting down the long grade off the pass at 60mph the temp creeps down to near 150F, the goes right back to 180 as soon as I throttle back up. Temp up there was just above 40F when coasting. Works as designed so far.

Bars trimmed and ruined rubber nuts I had to replace. Holes in the grill bars are gone.

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified
post #399 of 577 Old 06-04-2015, 10:58 PM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

wish i did not have a power steering cooler already up there. that fits real nice
post #400 of 577 Old 06-04-2015, 11:02 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
wish i did not have a power steering cooler already up there. that fits real nice
I think Blaine is supposed to have a combo mount in the works for a finned tube steering cooler and a stacked plate transmission cooler to both fit in front of the radiator. Haven't heard anything about it in a few months though.
post #401 of 577 Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 AM
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a stacked plate transmission cooler AND the PSC finned power steering cooler mounted on the V support. I put the trans cooler in years ago, Blaine added the PSC cooler when we put the new front axle in with the ram. Both fit just fine and have not offered up any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
post #402 of 577 Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think my 6X11 derale will fit beneath my other cooler. Just not looking forward to draining the power steering system to pull the grill shell.

I have not started breaking down things to get this done yet, maybe this weekend, but i just dont think that cooler is going to slip through the top or through the headlight. It would not be so bad if the GM power steering fluid was not so expensive.

I wish Mr. Blaine had a bracket out. His products / solutions tend to be well engineered quality pieces. I've never regretted any of the products or advice i've ever gotten from him
post #403 of 577 Old 06-05-2015, 11:52 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think my 6X11 derale will fit beneath my other cooler. Just not looking forward to draining the power steering system to pull the grill shell.

I have not started breaking down things to get this done yet, maybe this weekend, but i just dont think that cooler is going to slip through the top or through the headlight. It would not be so bad if the GM power steering fluid was not so expensive.

I wish Mr. Blaine had a bracket out. His products / solutions tend to be well engineered quality pieces. I've never regretted any of the products or advice i've ever gotten from him
Yeah, I currently have a B&M cooler there (which I forced through the headlight hole; required cutting some notches in the hole). I have a tube finned PS cooler sitting on the bench. I'm pretty sure I can fit it also with the B&M cooler if I just get off my butt, but had hoped for a clean option from Blaine.
post #404 of 577 Old 06-05-2015, 12:36 PM
windkn0t
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Yeah, I currently have a B&M cooler there (which I forced through the headlight hole; required cutting some notches in the hole). I have a tube finned PS cooler sitting on the bench. I'm pretty sure I can fit it also with the B&M cooler if I just get off my butt, but had hoped for a clean option from Blaine.

Yeah, i hear that. Maybe i should hit him up for the prototype he probably has lying around his cluttered bench and offer to "mock it up " for him
post #405 of 577 Old 06-05-2015, 01:41 PM
pwmac
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Easy to just take the grill off and add the coolers while on the work bench. No need to open the A/C or Radiator. It will lift straight up so winch does not create an issue. Just make sure the cooler do not extend closer to the A/C Condenser than the Vee bars.

pwmac
Durango, CO
06 Rubicon, modified

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in