Keep radio on while turning engine off - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
rkane31174
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keep radio on while turning engine off

The most annoying issue with my '04 wrangler that I can't figure out how to solve is how to turn off the engine without stopping the radio. This isn't a major issue, I know, but this is easy with most other cars with ignition cylinders.

Here's a scenario.
I'm driving home on a beautiful day and I'm listening to my favorite song. I get home and pull into my parking space with a little over three minutes left in the song and I want to finish listening to it before I turn off the radio. The problem is that my engine is still idling and chugging down my gas, so naturally I want to stop the engine because I'm done driving for the day, but shutting down the engine stops the radio and interrupts the song. Why did they think it was a good idea to put ACC behind OFF? It's not like that in most other cars.

I want to do one of two things:
1: Replace the ACC>OFF>LOCK>ON>START cylinder with a OFF>ACC>ON>START cylinder.
2: Bypass the ignition cylinder for ACC power and connect it to a toggle switch on my front panel instead.

My question: Is it possible to do this? Followup question if yes: How do I do this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 11:34 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

On your radio's wire harness, the pin 2 or pink wire is your Run/ACC switched power wire. Cut this wire and connect it to a battery feed power source -- you may run it through a SPST dash switch if you want.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
rkane31174
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for your reply. I have two questions.
Would I need to do this for the speakers too?
Would the wires for the cigarette power outlet be a viable source for this?

As you can probably tell, my understanding of car electronics is minimal at best.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 05:13 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

You already have a battery feed to the radio for memory. I'm willing to bet you forget to toggle a switch and kill the battery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fault codes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mean Max pics of everything:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #5 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 05:22 PM
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
You already have a battery feed to the radio for memory. I'm willing to bet you forget to toggle a switch and kill the battery.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Generally the radio gets an always on 12V that is the main supply and then a switched 12V to turn it on. You can put a switch from the main 12 to the switched but I would add a diode on the vehicle side of the switched line so you do not back feed 12V into the ACC wire and power other things.

1985 CJ7 with 1994 4.6, Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs
2001 TJ 4.0 Dana 44 4.10 TrueTracs
post #6 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 06:12 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkane31174 View Post
Thank you for your reply. I have two questions.
Would I need to do this for the speakers too?
Would the wires for the cigarette power outlet be a viable source for this?

As you can probably tell, my understanding of car electronics is minimal at best.
1) No, the speakers are powered by the stereo head unit. Leave their wires alone.
2) The cigarette lighter socket is another switched power source. Using it wouldn't work the way you want it to. You can use the power outlet socket power source instead as that is a non-switched fused battery power source. The power outlet socket power wire is the PK/BK wire and is protected by fuse 17 (20A) in the fuse block.

To be perfectly honest, I'd suggest to just leave the Jeep running for an extra couple minutes if you can't bear to miss part of your tunes. It's too easy to create electrical problems if you don't know what you're doing and modifications to the wiring can be a headache down the road.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #7 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Can you turn off the engine and rotate back to acc? With the stock radio you'd only loose a second of the song.

Aftermarket head units all seem to take longer to start up though.
Shark_13 likes this.

Building the right way for 37s.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 PM
Shark_13
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
^^exactly
Turn the key back, you'll miss like 1 second of music, oh the humanity.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 12:15 PM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoF250 View Post
Generally the radio gets an always on 12V that is the main supply and then a switched 12V to turn it on. You can put a switch from the main 12 to the switched but I would add a diode on the vehicle side of the switched line so you do not back feed 12V into the ACC wire and power other things.

Yeah. You can also wire direct to the battery feed for the ignition signal and just turn it off using the old fashion on/off switch on the radio. No additional switch required. The radio powered off draws less than 10 ma.

That being said remember to carry jumper cables and your cell. in either case you will need them when you forget to switch it off.

Fault codes:

Mean Max pics of everything:

How to use Google to search the forum:

No Start:
post #10 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 01:21 PM
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_13 View Post
^^exactly
Turn the key back, you'll miss like 1 second of music, oh the humanity.
^^^^^

There was a time when every US made car had the off position between Run and Accessory. We dealt with it without any long term, life threatening injuries.
2jhanna likes this.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

A couple of other options for uninterrupted radio when turning ignition off, if no part of a song can be missed.

Option 1, You could use a momentary push to break switch in the fuse 11 (glove box) circuit. Pressing that would kill the engine and the ignition could be turned off once the tune ends.

Option 2, use a momentary push to make switch to maintain the Acc circuit when the ignition switch is turned from on to Acc. Engine would turn off as normal but radio would stay on till the key is turned back to the removal position.

Option 2 would be preferred as there wouldn't be an extra connection in the PDC coils circuit to potentially cause running problems.

Neither solution should cause problems with forgetting to switch off a circuit that could drain the battery as they both only require momentary acting switches.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 07:56 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Probably more than what you want to get into but...

http://www.bowdenshobbycircuits.info...tm#relay_i.gif

The opinions of worthless people, are worthless.

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

Society is no match for a stupid person.

"Life Is tough but it is tougher when you are stupid"

-John Wayne
post #13 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 07:58 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Or, the shortcut...

https://smile.amazon.com/Timer-Delay...gateway&sr=8-4

The only problem that you have with anyone in this world, is what you expect of them.

-John Wayne
post #14 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Then, if you really want to get into it-

Go to the12volt.com. You could just build a latching relay, which would maintain power to the radio. Build one that will release with a grounding input. The latched relay will stay on, once you power up the jeep, until you open your door (which will be the ground input).

A whole world of ideas out there...

-John Wayne
post #15 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM
dbbd1
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can you tell that I'm just sitting on my a$$, drinking coffee and googling?

Here's what you want (maybe)...

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram30.html

3 relays, 2 diodes?
Even a caveman could do it.

-John Wayne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in