K&N Filter: Any Disadvantages? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 Old 01-08-2004, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
MisterJeep

K&N Filter: Any Disadvantages?

I read about some of the benefits of replacing the air intake filter system with a K&N type system (small increase in HP, slightly better MPG, better response in high gear, no future filter replacement, etc). Installation seems easy enough, but what are the drawbacks, if any (besides material cost). Are there any additional benefits than the ones already mentioned?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 01-08-2004, 11:02 PM
franco802

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJeep
I read about some of the benefits of replacing the air intake filter system with a K&N type system (small increase in HP, slightly better MPG, better response in high gear, no future filter replacement, etc). Installation seems easy enough, but what are the drawbacks, if any (besides material cost). Are there any additional benefits than the ones already mentioned?
I have one, it only has 300 miles on it. I will sell it to you for 30.00.

it is the drop in kind. Still have the box and sticker, like new!

SOLD
04' X, 5 speed, 4.0L,hardtop,kilby PS armor,Warn rock guards,2"RE BB w/DT3000 shocks, hi-lift jack,15x8 Black crawlers with 31x10.5 Procomp X-Terrains, Hurst short throw shifter Hella 500's offroad AND driving lights . Warn X8000i winch w/ Tomken mounting plate
White Jeep Club member #802
FOLLOW ME TO CERTAIN DEATH JEEP CLUB MEMEBER #21
SoCal Jeep Club Member #4
2006 GTO & 1986 K5 Blazer
post #3 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 12:03 AM
thephantum

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well first off, improvements in air intake are not going to help you that much, at least not by themselves.

An engine is essentially an air pump. You can try to bring as much air as you want through the intake, but the engine is only going to take in what it can exhaust. So if the exhaust can't push the amount of air that the intake can pull....guess what? You've just wasted your money.

Secondly, while K&N filters do allow a larger volume of air to come through into the intake, the problem is that the let more dirt through to accomplish it.

IMO, save your money. Then get a better exhaust system and follow that with a snorkel (a true cold air intake). At least that's what I would do.

My $0.02

Rock On!

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by thephantum; 01-09-2004 at 12:07 AM.

post #4 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 12:15 AM
thecarman

thephantum, is right on this one. What's the point of bring in more air when you can't get rid of it. It would be counterproductive in my opinion, plus you are wasting your money. Save for a cold air intake and an exhaust system to match.
post #5 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Exactly, and exactly.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #6 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 09:24 AM
Sledgehammer

A great post!

A question though. The snorkle kit is pretty much a slam-dunk, but what about the exhaust system? Would any "cat-back" style system work, or is there one better than another?
post #7 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Jim Shanks

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm going to have to suggest Banks mainly due to the quality and warranty.

Jim

"Cracked Cow" '01TonTJ2a, Solid Mfg HP60's, 5.38's, ARB's, PSC full hydro, 14" coilovers, ASD roof and doors, armored everywhere sitting on 40" Iroks.

post #8 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
MisterJeep

I'll check into the Banks product, thanks. As you've probably already surmised, I'm new to all this. Just bought a 2003 Sport back in June, using it as a DD for now, then hoping to put it away in the garage before my girlfriend becomes my wife so I can have fun with all the mods later on. The air intake filter system just seems like one of those things it should have come with from the factory anyway. Why they put these restrictive air intakes on there is beyond me.
post #9 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:11 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJeep
The air intake filter system just seems like one of those things it should have come with from the factory anyway. Why they put these restrictive air intakes on there is beyond me.
Because on the 4.0L engine, the air intake is most assuredly not restrictive in the least. There are quite a few cars out there, like the Mustang for example, that have purposely restrictive air intakes... but the Jeep air intake system is not restrictive. Its maximum supportable CFM air intake level is literally well above the maximum CFM air intake the engine is capable of pulling at high rpms and WOT. This is directly from a confirming telephone call on this very subject that I personally had with Jeep engineering, specifically their most senior engineer that had contacted me on a different issue earlier in the year. In other words, it's not hear-say. And as I personally run a "less restrictive" (not really though) K&N with a TurboCity air intake tube, I can say there is no perceived performance difference... unless a noisier engine can be termed to be performing better. And of course there is always the placebo effect... I spent over $200 for a FIPK and it's louder so my engine must be definitely more powerful now.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 01-09-2004 at 10:20 AM.
post #10 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:19 AM
StealthTJ

Ahhh, someone else looking at putting in one of those "silica injection devices"..

As Jerry mentioned, the stock air systems flows more than enough air for the Jeep, even at WOT..
So, what's the point.
Downside, they allow silica (fine) through, into the air intake system (if you live in or wheel in a dry climate, or dusty area).

Fred

Base - '98 Sahara, 4.0L 6 cyl, Auto (swap from 5 sp)
Suspension- 4.0" Procomp Springs + 1 1/4" bl. Rear tri-link. Currie J arms, F&R. Warn hubs with WJ knuckles, custom cross over/hi-steering setup, Currie A/R Sway Bar.
HPD30/D44 (rear disk conversion, WJ dual piston caliber conversion in the front); Detroits; 4.56
Misc - Tera 2wd lo.
Tires - 35x12.50 MT/R's siped on 15x7 Champion Beadlocks.
Recovery - Warn XD9000i
post #11 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:20 AM
bcompton

What was said above is correct. However, there is one point of restriction on a 03 sport - the 'trumpet' at the front of the air box. Take it off, and you will see a marginal but noticeable increase in power above 3000 RPM.

Keep the factory style filter, and when you replace it make sure you get the kind with foam on top of the paper.

01 Sport, front drum brake & birfield joint conversion, custom '4 Wheel Drive' stickers, neon washer nozzles, chrome type 'r' oil pan bolts, wooden bead seat pads, racing exhaust tip, offroad license plate frame,
lots of misc. stuff (2.5" Skyjacker springs, 1" BL, 1"MML, Custom flat tcase & engine skid, RE arms, Skyjacker shocks, JKS Discos, Superlift Trac bars, Garvin bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, Lockright & trac-lock, 32" BFG KM's, Kilby & warn skids, EOR rocker bars, cowl snorkel)
post #12 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthTJ
Ahhh, someone else looking at putting in one of those "silica injection devices"..
Heheh, that is great Fred. I hope you won't mind me stealing and using your "silica injection device" phrase in future K&N air filter discussions.

post #13 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:32 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcompton
What was said above is correct. However, there is one point of restriction on a 03 sport - the 'trumpet' at the front of the air box.
The "trumpet" serves three purposes... to raise the level of the air intake so it gets the cooler air flowing just under the hood, to avoid possible water ingestion, and to speed up the air flow into the throttle body to make the engine run quieter. Flow tests demonstrate that even with the trumpet in place, the air intake is fully capable of providing more air than the engine is capable of consuming at WOT and high engine rpms. This is right from Jeep engineering.

A Jeep is not a Mitsubishi street racer and a Mitsubishi street racer is not a Jeep... so why all the focus by some on trying to squeeze 9 extra rpms out of what is really a simple low-revving high-torque great-for-offroading engine???

post #14 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
MisterJeep

Thanks all! All of this makes a lot of sense. Sense that I do not possess right now. I'm at the very bottom of the Jeep tech learning curve.
post #15 of 88 Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking the hood is also restrictive. I'm thinking about removing my TJ's hood so the engine gets more air. Hmmm....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in