JK Rear Seat (2 DR) in my LJ - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By pcoplin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

JK Rear Seat (2 DR) in my LJ

This one is different than others or at least did not find any threads of this being done.
My wife motivated this thread after our last Jeep Jamboree trip. After we came back she says to me... I want a rear seat with headrests in our LJ. She feels that the kids will be a little more protected and more comfortable. At this point one is out of the car seat and the other is soon to be. So did some research of what others have done and found these ideas:

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread...eat-in-a-TJ-LJ

forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/119472-JK-Rear-seat-back-in-a-LJ

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/jeep-...n-seat-tj.html

And others in which they simply drill the TJ's back seat frame and add head rests.

I liked the idea of a JK 2 door rear seat and immediately started looking for one. That same day I found a Jeep owner selling his 2016 JK 2 door rear seat for $60! The seat still looks new! Either way I could not loose on this one, so I brought it home.
My friend Bob and I started studying the JK seat in the LJ and figured out the following:
- The front latches from the JK will latch onto the LJ floor bracket. Minor tweak required.
- The pins for the rear latches in the JK are smaller than in the LJ. Minor tweak required.
- The JK floor bracket’s pins are higher in the front than in the rear.
- The latches front to back and side to side between the two models are really close. So I bought TJ floor brackets as these are 4 independent pieces that allow adjustment. Cost $60 shipped to my house. The LJ brackets are "fixed" front to back.
- We could fit the bottom of the seat between the LJ wheel wells by cutting and shrinking the bottom frame. The rear latch mechanisms will have to be swapped from sides. The slits for the cart seat latches will have to be moved.
- We could then cut and shrink the back frame to fit the bottom frame. The cutting is not the same as the one posted on the links above!
- We would have to remove very small sections of foam from the back cushion only.
- Use the LJ seat belt latch because they are not compatible. Eliminate the JK seat belt latch from the seat.

I then measured the frame's tubes and pipes and bought some tube and pipe to strengthen some of the places We cut and rejoined. I bought material that I did not use, but it was part of the learning experience. The extra metal used cost about $32 and I have plenty left over.

Therefore, after some careful planning and cutting, grinding, welding and painting, here is the final product installed!

Both kids and adults are comfortable in this seat.

Attached Thumbnails
2017-12-27_17-55-51.jpg   2017-12-27_17-53-29.jpg  

----------------------------
2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon
2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Kalten
2006 LJ Wrangler 

that looks fantastic! hopefully you took detailed pics while in process, I would love to duplicate that for my LJ.

06 LJ Auto, 4" SL, Synergy Adj CA & Trackbar, 33x10.5 AT KO,
231 w/(WC,2lo,6pinion & JB-C SSYE)
post #3 of 11 Old 01-03-2018, 03:15 PM
tweenerlj
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Sounds a bit more involved than just using the seat back like I did in the expedition portal thread you mentioned above. Nice work!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2018, 04:03 PM
RDaniel2405
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Cool thread.

OEF Veteran & owner of a 2006 TJ

Instagram @theorangejeep
Pirate 4x4 @theorangejeep
post #5 of 11 Old 01-05-2018, 07:10 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've never actually used a headrest in any vehicle I have ever owned. Nice job though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I'd rather knock myself unconscious, cut a finger off, poke my eye out with a sharp stick or be forced to go back to work than install anything made by Rusty's.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ on 33s. #18
post #6 of 11 Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Needs more details. What floor brackets did you get exactly? Did you have to move the tub mounts? I want to do this for my kids pronto!
post #7 of 11 Old 01-05-2018, 09:11 PM
pcoplin
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I've never actually used a headrest in any vehicle I have ever owned. Nice job though.
Headrests keep you from secondary whiplash in a bad collision.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
TheBoogieman likes this.

FullStack MotorSports
post #8 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00mb00m View Post
Needs more details. What floor brackets did you get exactly? Did you have to move the tub mounts? I want to do this for my kids pronto!
I got the TJ floor brackets, which are four individual pieces. The LJ brackets consist of 2 (long) brackets. Nothing we did not move anything on the tub. If I recall correctly, we might have drilled to access existing nuts on the tub. Hopefully, you have done this for your kids. We traveled a couple of thousand miles and the kids were super comfortable.

----------------------------
2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon
2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)
post #9 of 11 Old 11-15-2018, 07:34 PM
fastblack
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:

The headrests for the back seat of my JK are still floating around my shop somewhere. Forgot to put them back in when I got rid of it. I took those things out within a week of ownership and never even thought about them after that...obviously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2018, 08:57 AM
b00mb00m
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Yes! i did this for my kids and its great. Only problem is that after cage install with large X behind front seats it won't fold enough to tumble, so have to remove the back to pull the seat, but I don't pull the seat ever so kind of not an issue... reference kids seats. So yes, overall a great project, i could definitely do it better if i did it a second time but it seems to be work okay.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM
TJnBC
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
you have to be taller than 5'4 to actually be able to use headrests

Cool mod! You may attract more passengers now though hahah

2006 LJR...the madness begins again

Tags
jk , lj , rear seat , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in