JK 6-Speed in a 2005 LJ, Direct Swap? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

JK 6-Speed in a 2005 LJ, Direct Swap?

Alright all you gear head, junkyard dogs....

Will a 2007-newer NSG370 bolt into place in a 2005 LJ equipped with the same NSG370?

My reverse shift fork is toast and it's got 125,000 miles on it. I'd prefer to just do a junkyard tranny swap with a low mile JK transmission than pay to have this one rebuilt.

I know the belhousings are different, but will be using mine. Just need to know if it'll be a direct swap.

I'm off to research more, but if you've already checked, point me in the right direction.

1990 YJ - 96 to 03 My first. She will be missed.
2004 TJ - 03 to 11. Old Faithful. I will have another TJ one day.
2007 JKU - SOLD
2005 LJ - In the mail, hope I like it. Everybody's doin it, here is the build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Garza

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepn012 View Post
Alright all you gear head, junkyard dogs....

Will a 2007-newer NSG370 bolt into place in a 2005 LJ equipped with the same NSG370?

My reverse shift fork is toast and it's got 125,000 miles on it. I'd prefer to just do a junkyard tranny swap with a low mile JK transmission than pay to have this one rebuilt.

I know the belhousings are different, but will be using mine. Just need to know if it'll be a direct swap.

I'm off to research more, but if you've already checked, point me in the right direction.
No, different bellhousing bolt pattern as you mentioned.......are you wanting to swap the internals? If so, be prepared it is basically a full teardown.
post #3 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza View Post
No, different bellhousing bolt pattern as you mentioned.......are you wanting to swap the internals?
You're saying the transmission to bellhousing bolt pattern is different?

NOTE: Not questioning you, as I have no idea, just clarifying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.

post #4 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post

as i recall, the NSG370 is a one piece case housing...the bellhousing and transmission share the same casing. there is no separate bellhousing that can be separated from the tranny, like on most manual trannies.

Useful Write-Ups:

Fabrication & Build:

Funny:
post #5 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 03:25 PM
Garza

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post

Correct...3.8l BH pattern is different than the 4.0l
post #6 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
as i recall, the NSG370 is a one piece case housing...the bellhousing and transmission share the same casing. there is no separate bellhousing that can be separated from the tranny, like on most manual trannies.
Ahh...

That's where the confusion was. OP said he was going to use his bellhousing, so I assumed it bolted to the transmission.

I knew the bellhousing to engine block pattern was different.

-
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #7 of 13 Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM
rchase559

2003 TJ Wrangler 

The bell housing will come off but not in the traditional sense. I have no idea if you can interchange the front half of the transmission cases or not however. Novak or AA might know.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/nsg370.htm
post #8 of 13 Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garza and UL04 are right on the money. Different bellhousing pattern and the "bellhousing" is actually the front half of the case. Stupid design if you ask me, but my opinion doesn't count.

Anyway, its not worth the headache IMO. I've sourced a used 2006 transmission to plop in there.

I'll hang on to the spare and give the reverse gear replacement a shot if/when the replacement blows up.

2007 JKU - SOLD
post #9 of 13 Old 05-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a 38k miles 6 speed out of a 2006 Unlimited.

Comes complete with hydraulics.

Let me know if you're interested.

Gerald

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Email me for the fastest response:

Like us on Facebook

The ONLY place to get Savvy/Currie Lifts and parts! The best price and support!

Now with Lifetime Guarantee

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #10 of 13 Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

PM sent. Definitely interested.

2007 JKU - SOLD
post #11 of 13 Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

It is on it's way!

SAVVY OFF ROAD - Winner of the King of the Hammers Everyman Challenge FIVE years in a row!

Like us on Facebook

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

post #12 of 13 Old 05-27-2013, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
jeepn012

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Install went smooth as butta. Went with a new clutch and throwout bearing while it was out. It rides like a new Jeep.

BTW, if anyone stumbles upon this thread I found out a little more on why it may have been popping out of reverse.

The isolator bushing on the stick was pretty worn. You could replace it, or like we did, just cut it and make a short throw shifter. Makes it enjoyable to drive.

2007 JKU - SOLD
post #13 of 13 Old 05-27-2013, 10:06 PM
Savvy
Vendor

2014 JK Wrangler 

Nice! Glad I could help!

Like us on Facebook

2003 TJ Project Unrolled

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in