Jeepers that deal with snow - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
dave160

Jeepers that deal with snow

Hey guys,
I live in Florida now and i've built my jeep up down there and its never seen snow. So i've never had to deal with salt or sand on the roads, and i've heard that that eats away at the joints on the suspension and destroys rims. Im asking because i might have to ship my jeep up to Mass. for a couple years because at this time i need something more street-friendly than a jeep on 37's.

So for all you guys that deal with snow and the harsh winters let me know what you do or if the salt and sand is really no problem on suspension joints.

Thanks
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
2005X

2005 TJ Wrangler 

its funny your worried about salt yet live in a state full of salt from the ocean. the best thing you can do is wash your jeep after it gets salty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 09:04 AM
GreenliftedTJ97

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Salt is just the devils creation for anything metal. Gets in every nook and cranny and forms cancer. You can wash it off and do all sorts of tricks, but in the end, it always wins out. I'm convinced they only use it so you have to buy more cars & trucks, more often.

post #4 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Its no biggie really, especially for a few years. My Jeep has been in snow for 5 months out of the year since 97 and believe it or not, not a spec of rust. NONE! =)

Wash it every few days (and power-spray the undercarriage if you can) and there really want be a problem. A good coat of Colonite 845 wax to seal the paint, and just make sure everything is lubed up to spec. Other than that ENJOY the snow!

Its fun climbing/parking into spots where others cant and driving by people who are stuck on inclines. Plus theres always the fun of helping and yanking your neighbors out of the snow when it gets bad.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
krawler510
1999 XJ Cherokee 

We don't have the worst winters but the road are salted all winter here. There is no body rust at all, the axles and frame have superficial rust but nothing to worry about except looks. The rubber bushings were still in good shape when I added a lift 2 years ago. The winters here did manage to finally chisel into my steel wheels though in only 2 years. Aluminum wheels will be fine.

'The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.'
post #6 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rust is a non-issue as long as you do what's necessary to prevent it from being an issue. You can tell the people who care from the people who don't have a clue around here. Painting your frame, steering and axles during the summer goes a long way. Make sure to touch everything up after wheelin. Wash the jeep once a week very thoroughly. I don't have a spec of rust on mine and IN loves salt.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV
post #7 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 11:11 AM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Mass throws the salt done like its free. Just wash it and maintain it and don't worry.

Buy my transmission cooler. Derale TJ cooler.

post #8 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Mark4883

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well if its just for a couple years it shouldn't be too hard on it. Just get ready to have your Jeep literally covered in salt for months at a time. I recommended washing it every couple of weeks or so and storing it inside whenever you can. You don't have to go too crazy on keeping it clean, it will just get filthy the second you drive it out of the car wash anyway.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:34 PM
browning
2017 KL Cherokee 

i live up north we have salt and snow ..most of the jeeps that i and friends have get grease undercoated DOORS,FENDERS,FRAME,REAR DOOR,BATTERY TRAYespecialy inside the DOORS 'every 5 years otherwise they just rust out.. worst part for rust on the jeep is beneath the doors .also i have seen many frames rust beyond repair ..u can wash the jeep all you want and it will still rust ..humidity is also a factor.washing the jeep in the winter will do you no good 5 minutes and 2 miles later it will be covered with snow and salt again ..as for the aluminum wheels i use a brush and cover them with vaseline otherwise they will be pitted from the calcium ..come spring i use my high pressure washer and remove the vaseline on the wheels only ..i have noticed on jeeps up here even after only 3 years' door ,hood and rear door hinges already rusted because the owner did not have it RUST PROOFED ..ps. painting is useless the calcium will chew it in 6 months .

bone collector
post #10 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM
LostJeeper

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lol we dont use salt in oregon.

Armed Forces Jeeps
MT WAVE SAR
KF7IRO
post #11 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
JrJmisn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I think your major issue will be floating around on snow with those 37/(12.5 if not bigger?) tires.

Losing traction on snow can destroy your Jeep far faster than salt corrosion.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Mtnduey
2005 LJ Wrangler 

like the others have said, wash the salt off when you get the chance. I live in NH but only about a half hour from the Mass border and up until last month worked in Mass.

The weather does warm up for a day here and there to get you above freezing, on those days wash your rig!

One thing I plan on doing this summer is put a fresh coat of POR or something on my axles and do a fresh under-carriage treatment on the tub and such.

As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Also 37's aren't that uncommon in NH/Mass, in the winter most of rigs I've seen with big mudders in the summer switch out to a backup set of rims and 35 AT's for dealing with the slick stuff

-D2
post #13 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:42 PM
TJftw

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I live in Vancouver Canada and we have salt on the roads all winter. Just wash your jeep whenever you can and spray down the underside. If you see any rust just touch it up asap. It's really not as big a deal as people make it.

Black Jeep Society Member #398

*Jeep Wave*
post #14 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
03JeeperX

1991 XJ Cherokee 

Are you shipping it to store it for a few years or will someone be driving it? salt is not that bad just paint the frame and axles and try to keep the salt washed off (every other week works good) and when spring comes give it a good bath and wax i have never had a jeep truck car rust and I live in central Ohio

R.I.P....03 TJ 4.0L NV3550 NP231 3 inch lift and 33x12.5x15 MTZ on Crager Black D-Style Rims Rock Lights---Wrecked---
1991 XJ 4.0L NP231 3" Lift 31's....Mods in progress....

post #15 of 25 Old 12-24-2009, 02:12 PM
greentj00

buy a 300 dollar winter beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in