Jeep won't move in gear - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-02-2015, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
sasq40
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep won't move in gear

So I made a bad judgement call on a river crossing and found a silty hole. I didn't get very far and has the front end up to about just under the lights in water. I tried to back up but it was so soft I just waiting for a winch out. Buddy winched me out backwards and I noticed I couldn't get my tires to move in reverse at all after sitting in the hole for about ten mins.

After we got me on solid ground I tried to move it and it wouldn't budge. The clutch pedal is hard to press down near the end, and I can shift into any gear without pressing in the clutch, without any grinding, also there's no noises when running, and there was no noises when I got winched out. I've checked my tcase linkage and that all seems in proper order.

What I'm thinking is that I got some mud or silt in my tranny keeping my clutch engaged, but I'm by no means a transmission expert, never touched one, but with thst being said I'm not afraid to get my hand in there and tear it apart, is just prefer not to as I don't really want to pull it when I'll be doing my sye in a month when my lift comes in. So any ideas would be great, and any that don't result in pulling the tranny are even better ha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 PM
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Drain and change the fluid. Was the old fluid milky? Milky= water got in. Not good.

Do not do what I did.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you got your clutch full of mud and cooked it into the clutch. You can try flushing the bell housing and clutch assembly with a garden hose while engaging and disengaging the clutch (engine running), but you're probably going to have to drop the transmission and then you might as well change out the pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch and throw-out bearing. Also flush the transmission several times... IMO

Gone but not forgotten.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-02-2015, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
sasq40
1997 TJ Wrangler 

yeah im planning on doing a tranny rebuild when i do my sye, can i run a sye eliminator on a stock, small lift(i might have a 2 atm not sure tho) Im going to be doing around a 4 inch in the future but Im slowly waiting on parts to come in. For now i guess ill do the flush and try and rinse out the bell housing. Can i stick a pressure washer in between the inspection plate or will that cause damage?
heres a pic of my little mistake lol
post #5 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
sasq40
1997 TJ Wrangler 

also how long can i wait before doing a transmission flush, i got sent out of town for work and its going to be a few days before i can get to the jeep
post #6 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You sure did sink it, anything you try may help. But I think you're into it to the point that the transmission would need to be removed and everything flushed and cleaned out (including the axles and transfer case). To me it looks like you're lucky that you didn't suck some water/mud into the engine intake. Keep in mind that in the future you're likely to have problems with electrical systems and connections in the front of your Jeep, pressure wash the engine compartment. Some component's don't like being subjected to high pressure spray.

You should do some research as to what components are susceptible to problems due to the severity of what you subjected the engine, drivetrain and associated components to (mud mixed water). The alternator, distributor, battery, power steering, fan and fan clutch, serpentine belt and the components driven by it, brakes and brake master cylinder, your coolant reservoir and the list goes on.

Be glad that you didn't submerge it in salt water.

Did the engine stall when you were in there?...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 AM
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There goes another nail in the great auto versus manual debate coffin.

OP.... Sorry to see. Good luck with the repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
sasq40
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I have a spectre intake so I'm was good for not stalling the engine or ingesting water though the intake. I have d44 on the way so I'm not overally worried about my diffs, but I do plan to flush them
post #9 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 09:35 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasq40 View Post
heres a pic of my little mistake lol
There is an wise old saying,"Don't Go Where the Cattails Grow"

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #10 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
sasq40
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ha yeah it was a little pool off the side so i thought it was shallow, i was wrong,very very wrong
post #11 of 11 Old 06-03-2015, 02:14 PM
ChrisNAngus
1985 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
There goes another nail in the great auto versus manual debate coffin.

OP.... Sorry to see. Good luck with the repair.
But his manual is easily repaired at home while auto's are a lot more difficult to work on. Also, it probably had been fine had he not pushed the clutch in while up to his headlights in mud.
Either way, wheel what you got and have fun. Not everything needs to be a debate.

Do not do what I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in