Jeep doors frozen...can't get in!?!? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
jamesbernatchez
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep doors frozen...can't get in!?!?

So I power washed all the salt off my TJ last night and now this morning the door locks are frozen. The passenger side is frozen that I can't even turn the key, so I will wait to after work to take a torch/blow dryer to it and then lube it with silicone.

The issue is with the driver door. The key was able to be turned and then the actual door handle was stuck. I pulled hard enough that it came unstuck and opened the door, but now the outside and inside handle to not actuate the mechanism. I shut the door and can't open it anymore. Is there a cable or something that could have snapped.

I can put my key in the hole and turn it to lock/unlock but it actually doesn't do anything and I can't open the door. What the hell!!! Any ideas how to get this door open. I want to take the doors off, take off the door cards and lube everything up. I need to drive this to work tomorrow, but can't if I can't get in.

I will now no longer powerwash in the cold

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:27 AM
AlexGeorgakis

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't help you on fixing the problem, but next time your lock freezes, just heat your key up with a lighter and insert it in the lock. You'll be able to unlock in a few seconds. Don't do it with electronic keys (which doesn't apply to Wranglers).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
jamesbernatchez
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about heating the key, but was in a rush and wasn't thinking clearly. I'm wondering, anybody know if I can try the coat hanger in between the window/door to get the door to open? Not sure what the insides look like so not sure if this is valid way to do this.

post #4 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM
stuntjumper

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Next time you wash your jeep in the cold just take the doors off to hang dry 'em. Benefit of the jeep.
post #5 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 AM
timberwolf0122

2020 J-Series Truck 

Go to the back of the jeep, open the trunk/un-zip the door and crawl in and open the door from the inside. If that doesn't work start the engine and crank the heater up to max and set the air to re-cycle that should warm things up.

Atheist Jeep Club Member #2
Doctor Who has died 13 times, is on his 14th regeneration and has a time machine, beat that Jesus.
post #6 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
jamesbernatchez
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll try that for the passenger door, but won't that not work considering I think something has snapped or came undone in the driver door. When I had the driver door open the one time, I tried the inside latch to see if it worked and it didn't. My only option from what I can see is if I can jimmy the door latch open with a slim jim type item.
post #7 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:00 AM
stuntjumper

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know about the Jeep, but on most doors the handle is connected to a rigid metal rod that connects to the latch. That metal rod may have broken or popped out. You can get a door clip removal tool for about $5 or less to remove the panel. It's generally pretty easy.
post #8 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
jamesbernatchez
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I'm thinking. The issue I believe is that I can't remove the door panel with the door shut can I? If I could I would just climb in and do it from the inside.
post #9 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:28 AM
DBLJ

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You can but its a pita with the seat in the way. The metal rod probably popped off.

Buy my transmission cooler. Derale TJ cooler.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
stuntjumper

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You should be able to enough to get a hand in there and get the door open. Take as many clips and screws off the panel as possible and bend it away from the door to get your hand in there. Feel or look around for a metal rod and give it a pull.
post #11 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
jeepinmichguy_

2006 TJ Wrangler 

pee on it and it will unfreeze!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
post #12 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 AM
unsung

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Mine was doing the exact same thing a few days ago. I didn't do anything but now it works.
post #13 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me in my yj years ago .Had to buy a new inside door handle.There is a metal rod that connects to a plastic lever on the inside door handle unit that strips when you try to force it open when frozen.Take the door panel off(a few screws,then pry cover off).You will see a metal rod that runs from the door latch to the door handle fell out .(pain in the a-- to fix).

Last edited by mikesbeachhut; 12-22-2009 at 04:48 PM.
post #14 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 09:24 AM
27mtaylor
1997 TJ Wrangler 

happened to me a few years ago. Best I can remember there was a plastic piece that broke when I forced the handle back. I was able to take some wire that I had around the house and use it to link the mechanism back. It has worked for 2-3 years now.

"97 TJ, 4.0, 3" Black Diamond Suspension, 2" body lift, JKS disconnects, Borla Exhaust, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT's, G2 Dana 44 Rear Axle Detroit Locker
post #15 of 31 Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 AM
black05tj
2017 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbeachhut View Post
Same thing happend to me in my yj years ago .Had to buy a new inside door handle.There is a metal rod that connects to a plastic lever on the inside door handle unit that strips when you try to force it open when frozen.Take the door panel off(a few screws,then pry cover off).You will see a metal rod that runs from the door latch to the door handle fell out .(pain in the a-- to fix).
I would think the outside handle would still work even if the inside handle was broken... But, if the inside handle is broken and the rod has fallen and is jamming something to prevent the outer latch from opening, you may be able to remove the inside latch and have enough of an opening to fish a coathanger in there and snag the rod. This should allow you to open the door, I would think...

If you see Hobbes, tell him I said "Hi".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in