Jeep Clean Up Tips - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-13-2019, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
campermh
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep Clean Up Tips

Hi All,

I have had my 1999 TJ for almost 4 years now. For the past 2.5 it has been driven less than 500 miles as I am away at college across the country. It has about 90k miles on it. Recently I was planning on shipping it out to college. I plan on putting in AC with the Jeep Air kit. Along with that I plan to replace the heater core, water pump, and thermostat. I was wondering if there are any other repairs you would recommend to make sure that I don't have to spend an arm and a leg at a mechanic once I ship it as I have no tools or space to work? I was thinking about a new exhaust manifold, exhaust pipes, muffler, and cat as mine are getting a little old and noisy. Do you think this is a smart decision or should I save the $500 on all of that stuff?

I also plan on driving it 1,500 miles next may to an internship location and want to make sure it won't break down on me in the middle of nowhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 02:01 AM
WeezyBlue
2005 TJ Wrangler 

At 90k miles I wouldn't expect any of that stuff to go out on you anytime too soon. However, if it's already making noise, the only way to properly evaluate would be a good visual inspection.
Plugs, wires, and distributor cap if those haven't been done recently.

As for preemptively replacing normal wear parts I'd check brakes, u-joints, and wheel bearings.

82 Wagoneer Limited WIP
87 MJ work truck
05 TJ SC'd Rubicon daily
06 TJ SE sold
post #3 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 04:36 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I only fix stuff that's broke or worn and needs to be replaced. The cat on my 98' was rattling bad. I replaced it with a Magnaflow direct fit with new down pipe (included). Contact Kolak on here. He has some really good prices and can help you out.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661
[email protected] or [email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5.5" lift / Rancho shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 10:12 AM
RFH_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

U-joints are easy to service. Since you say you will have no access to tools, I would definitely disassemble and re-grease the non-greaseable ones on the drive shafts - the others - just grease them. Be careful with the centering yokes and dust shield. Replace any suspect parts. I would leave the front axle u-joints alone - just pry at them to make sure there is no play in them.

Since you're draining the coolant system, with at 90k miles on it, I would flush the system and replace the hoses too. Put a new belt on also.

Change the diffs, transmission, and transfer case fluids - unless you know when they were serviced last.

How old is the battery? More than five years? Maybe replace it - of course this could be done at anytime in a Walmart (or anywhere else) parking lot when it does fail.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 10:17 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

A "sitting in storage" Jeep will have other issues than one driven (w/same miles). Your belts and hoses can cause grief on the road. Make sure to run your hands along as much wiring harness as you can, look for pinches, dry/cracking loom, rodent damage, etc.. Anything that feels out of the norm. Injector nozzles could gum up or plug. Maybe a good nozzle flush/clean will help. Check the drivetrain fluids for moisture/water. Treat the fluids like you just bought it, change everything, start a fresh record book.

I'm sure I missed a bunch and maybe some are not needed. Just throwing it out there for ideas.

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in