Issues with new to me Y2K TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Issues with new to me Y2K TJ

Here are a few issues that I am having with the new to me BONE STOCK Y2K 4.0L TJ, if you can chime in for one of, or all of the below, please do! I was a little upset to find out all of this driving it home last night...

(1) The front axle is shifted about 3/4"-1" toward the drivers side. The Jeep is NOT lifted... (and the sway bar is shifted a tiny bit but i am pretty sure thats not the issue)

(2) When braking moderate or hard, the Jeep pulls to the left and the wheel turns as well...

(3) There's what I think an exhaust leak...its like a puffing that I can hear with the windows closed when driving above 2K RPMs. How do I check where it is?

*the exhaust is leaking a bit right around the muffler, but I dont ever recall a hole anywhere after the cat making a puffin sound thats similar to a header leak...

I just figured Id share a pic of my new and old TJs (the black one is my 97 4 banger and the blue is the new 2000 4.0 with 75K)

The 1st pic was last Wednesday when I bought it and the next pic is after some work this weekend (flares painted and me replacing the bumpers and wiring new HID fogs (bumper and fogs will be on later today though)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Unlimitedlou

2012 JK Wrangler 

1. We need some pics of it. There is a wealth of knowledge on here that can probably tell you exactly what it is.
2. You need to pull your front tires and take a look. Look and see if your pads are wearing evenly. Try the search function. There are a ton of threads on this issue.
3. Crawl under it with it running and use your hands to feel for the leak and your ears to hear it.

Good luck!

2005 Unlimited Rubicon, too much junk to list!-sold
2012 JKU Orange Crush
post #3 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:25 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Pulling could be a pad/caliper issue. The shifting towards the driver side could mean the track bar is most likely messed up, from my experience anyway. Maybe the hole in the mount wallowed out or you could have even twisted the track bar up, that's how I messed up my old one. I twisted it up while flexing and it moved the rear axle towards the driver side.

post #4 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

- the exhaust is leaking somewhere after the cat. I cant tell exactly where but i see water dripping off the muffler and off the pipe. I was wondering if that can make the puffing/ticking sound like a header gasket?

- Secondly, the track bar seems fine...thats whats kind of confusing...everything seems fine visually which is why this is confusing to me...

- Lastly, could air in the brakes cause the pull or is that highly unlikely? Also, the brake fluid reservoir was a tiny bit lower than the full line. It was pretty much at the 'add'. Could air have possibly have snuck into the system?

***OH AND BEFORE I FORGET...the brake pedal is kinda stiff...what could that mean? (its definitely stiffer than my 97 with no abs...could it be that the ABS cars have a stiffer pedal maybe?)
post #5 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I hadn't throw out my twisted track bar. I'd take a pic for you so you could take the track bar off and compare. Mine visually looked fine too, only reason I knew it was twisted up is because the arch was way too close to the gas tank. It's gonna be a bit harder to figure out on the front.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I guess the track bar it is. That was the very first thing i thought myself and I climbed right under the to check but it all seemed perfectly fine....what I'll do is compare it to my 97. I'll get them side by side and inspect that its angled just perfectly the same.

I hadnt done that extensively because it looked about right visually so I didnt bother measuring anything as I figured that something else might be the issue. I guess I'll take care of that tonight.

I guess now I've got to figure out the stiff pedal and pulling to the left while braking...any thoughts? Maybe air in the system?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not completely sure, but your sway bar shifting over could have also caused it. Disco the sway bar and move the sway bar back to center and re-connect and see if that does anything if the track bar isn't the issue.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Hesher420

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
I'm not completely sure, but your sway bar shifting over could have also caused it.
The sway bar will not pull the axle off-center.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

post #9 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 AM
2006_Sport

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesher420 View Post
The sway bar will not pull the axle off-center.
Thanks for clearing that up. I just went out and looked at my jeep, the sway bar is moved over but the axle isn't
post #10 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Hesher420

2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you want to keep the sway bar centered......

Jeep Swaybar Shifting Over Fix

"We are one. One society. Digitless."
"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

post #11 of 11 Old 06-01-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I already did that on my 97 and it works like a charm, so ill be doing the same on this TJ too...just a matter of time.

Thanks for the info though!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in