Intermittent grinding from rear axle under load - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Intermittent grinding from rear axle under load

Hi all,

Well the Jeep has sat for some time. Too many projects and the daughter doesn't get her license till March.

I did set it up to tow behind the motorhome for a couple trips this summer. When driving the Jeep, I did notice a couple times that I could hear a brief grinding noise when starting off in first gear. It's a 2000 TJ Sport.
Here are a few points about the noise:

-happens when starting off in first gear
-usually gone before I'm even off the clutch
-sounds just like the grind when switching into 4L (would happen on my old TJ once in a while)
-definitely coming from the back
-is not consistent, only happens now and then and not tied to turning corners.

I haven't taken anything apart yet (too many other projects right now). Obviously I'll need to take a peek inside the rear diff. Thanks for any thoughts or opinions you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-13-2015, 11:26 AM
Bitpusher
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Your symptoms sound like mine did when I threw an axle bearing. It's happened to me several times now, as my Jeep had been in a rear-end collision before I bought it, and the axle sleeve was bent - not enough to see, but enough to wear one side of the bearing more than the other and burn them out every 3-5k miles.

The last time I threw it out I ended up replacing my Dana 35 with a Ford 8.8", and couldn't be happier with that decision.

If I were you, I'd look for gear oil leaking into the brake drums on both sides. If it's an axle bearing, the seal will probably be leaking and one of your brake drusm will be moist with gear oil.

It could also be a small piece of metal that's somehow made its way into the diff, as you implied, but seeing that it's not related to turning I'm betting you've got a bearing going out.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-13-2015, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input, I see the pinion seal is leaking as well. It's definitely time to pull it into the garage and pull things apart. Luckily this isn't a daily driver.. really doesn't even have to be a weekly or monthly driver so it'll make for an easy project (time wise anyways).

Current: '00 TJ Sport
Past: '98 TJ Sport - lots of aftermarket

post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Raist11

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, got it up on stands and began working on things a bit. Definitely having some issues, first being that there probably isn't much oil left in the diff. I knew about the pinion leak, but after pulling the wheels and drums.. I see I have a serious leak at the axle shaft seal. The driver's side wheel was covered on the inside and the inside of the drum was just caked. I can't believe this thing stopped as well as it did. The brake shoes are completely shot. Keep in mind we just bought this a year ago and it's been sitting most of the time. It's going to be my daughter's future first car. It was a "through family" purchase and so I really expected a little better than this. Anyways, the fun starts.

Current: '00 TJ Sport
Past: '98 TJ Sport - lots of aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in