Instrument Cluster Issues - Tried a few things...no luck - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 06-03-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Ford4Now
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Instrument Cluster Issues - Tried a few things...no luck

Hello All,

Hoping to see if anyone here would be able to point me in the right direction. I read through a bunch of threads today and tried just about each solution and unfortunately to no avail, it is still broken.

Last week I noticed my airbag light intermittently coming on and off and did not think anything of it (thought it may be a clock spring issue. Then a couple days later I noticed my gauges were dead and showing like the car was off. I started the Jeep yesterday and the gauges worked and then went dead again.

So today I did some reading and went through all of the potential remedies for this issue.
-I picked up some dielectric grease and put it on both of the pins and plugs on the back on my instrument cluster. Did not work
-I bent the pins about 10-15 degrees on the back of the instrument cluster...no luck
-Swapped out fuse 10 behind the glove box and fuse 17 under the hood...nothing
-Cleaned the ground next to the plugs behind the cluster and the one by my drivers front speaker...no good either

I have no other issues than the gauges in the cluster at this point. The dummy lights work, dome lights, radio, etc. all good. See pictures from my drive home a few minutes ago. It is all over the place as to what works and what does not.

Thank you for the help in advance. (Vehicle was running in all of the pics below)

Pic of the Jeep

1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5 Speed Manual

cmarshand1 likes this.

1997 Wrangler Sport. 4" Currie Springs, Bilstein 5100's, D44/D30, 4.10's, AX15.

Last edited by Ford4Now; 06-03-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 06-03-2018, 08:16 PM
cmarshand1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Goofy Gauges

Symptom: Gauges function sporadically, Check Gauges light comes on, gauges die while driving

Affected Model(s): TJs and '97-'01 Cherokees (more common on '99-and-earlier models)

Cause: Dirty or loose instrument cluster plug

Fix: Sometimes pulling your cluster out, cleaning the pins, and reinstalling it is good enough. We see the issue pretty frequently on the late '90s Jeeps, and less frequently as time goes on. The connector itself was updated and the updated connector is available from your dealership under PN 05016261 (connector patch harness).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 41 Old 06-04-2018, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
Ford4Now
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any idea how big of a job is it to swap this plug out? Looking like some cutting/soldering of one of the connectors correct? I did some searching and did not see any DIY’s with much detail than “cut and solder”. I have not soldered in many years.

Thanks.

post #4 of 41 Old 06-04-2018, 02:11 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

After a normal lamp test when the ignition is switched on, the airbag light will illuminate any time the instrument cluster loses CCD bus connectivity with the airbag module due to a failure of the module or the CCD bus. All of the instrument panel gauges are positioned by the instrument cluster based on inputs from the PCM via the CCD bus, loss or disruption of the CCD bus information will cause the gauges to stop working. Since you have both an airbag light illuminated and gauge display problems, I'd say a problem with the CCD bus wires would be at the top of the list for causes.

Check the CCD bus twisted pair wires for evidence of damage, loose connections, and ensure they are twisted around each other all the way as close as possible up to the connectors. Look also at connector C203, it's the green 14-way connector in the left footwell.
Richie09 likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 41 Old 06-05-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Ford4Now
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. I will give that a go tomorrow. I ordered the plug for $30 online to have it handy as well if needed.

post #6 of 41 Old 06-25-2018, 10:18 PM
WildTeeJay

Instrument cluster problems solved!!!
Without going into all the details of what I did prior to my fix, let me preface my comments by saying I did everything listed on every thread, TSB and video suggestions across the net. Still no luck, intermittent gauges, dashlights drop out, funky intermittent operation. Worked when cold, worked when hot, hitting bumps, whacking dash and etc. Almost made me get rid of my Jeep altogether.

Obviously frustrated beyond comprehension I tried a new attack on this issue. I pulled my cluster out for the millionth time, pulled the board (remove 28 screws) and approached the problem from an electronics perspective. I took my soldering iron at 701 degrees and re-flowed each pin with a tiny amount of silver solder where it is soldered to the board from the back side. All pins on each male socket on the back side of the circuit board. Then, I carefully “tinned” each male pin where it mates with the female plugs behind the cluster. This insured a good reflow of solder on both sides of the board. Problem solved. Now, I will say you need some expirence with a good high quality soldering iron or you could permanently ruin your board. I did not care at this point, dash didn’t work anyway. The problem is age, vibration, temperature extremes and cheap China Mopar parts.

Couldn’t believe this was the fix. If you can solder wires you can do this.
post #7 of 41 Old 08-22-2018, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Ford4Now
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, the issue is back after going away for some time. I ordered the $30 connector and attempted to replace it yesterday, but the wires do not color code or match up. Does anybody have a wiring diagram or is this the wrong connector for my 1997 Tj?
Attached Thumbnails
13575A60-82AE-49AD-994B-F14E1A32A709_1534956177437.jpg   CC6632E8-B7CA-4053-951E-330D99726932_1534956198514.jpg  

post #8 of 41 Old 11-26-2018, 03:46 PM
derek4343
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just splice the new ones in the same position as the old ones regardless of color
post #9 of 41 Old 11-26-2018, 07:01 PM
bbacus

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Just a shot in the dark here. It may be that the mother board is bad. If that isn’t the case there are businesses that can reset/program the board. Finally look for a used cluster to replace the old one.
post #10 of 41 Old 11-30-2018, 04:45 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@Ford4Now

Sorry, missed your earlier request for the cluster connector pinouts. See the attachment below.
Attached Thumbnails
97 cluster plugs.jpg  

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #11 of 41 Old 12-04-2018, 11:50 AM
97TJGUZZY

1997 TJ Wrangler 

any news on this one? did you get it to work? I'm having the exact same problem.

For info on outdoor adventures in South Carolina check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 41 Old 02-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Pat Ross
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It seems I have the same issue with my 98 TJ instrument cluster!!! My air bag light is on. It starts and runs normal. Horn works. I have checked all grounds, all fuses, replaced both connectors with new, made sure to keep the twisted pairs, applied dielectric grease. The gauges test normal every time. They will work for approximately 10 seconds then quit. I have checked for power and grounds at the ecm. Canít find any discrepancies on a motherboard or back of the cluster. Checked all connections under the dash. Donít have the no bus indication. What am I missing? Could I have a bad cluster or ecm?
post #13 of 41 Old 02-01-2019, 07:24 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

@Pat Ross
If all the wiring checks out, good continuity end to end, no shorts to ground or to other wires, the power feeds getting proper voltage, grounds are good, etc., then you may have a bad cluster. I wouldn't suspect the PCM since you're getting an airbag light, indicating either a problem with the airbag system itself or a loss of communication of the airbag module with the cluster.

Have you tried slightly twisting the cluster's connector pins to alleviate a possible loose connection with the plug pins? After the airbag light comes on and the gauges fail, can you still get a scanner to communicate with the PCM via the OBD port?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #14 of 41 Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 AM
97TJGUZZY

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Ross View Post
It seems I have the same issue with my 98 TJ instrument cluster!!! My air bag light is on. It starts and runs normal. Horn works. I have checked all grounds, all fuses, replaced both connectors with new, made sure to keep the twisted pairs, applied dielectric grease. The gauges test normal every time. They will work for approximately 10 seconds then quit. I have checked for power and grounds at the ecm. Canít find any discrepancies on a motherboard or back of the cluster. Checked all connections under the dash. Donít have the no bus indication. What am I missing? Could I have a bad cluster or ecm?
That is exactly the same problem I am having. I should be getting 2.5 volts on the CCD bus pin in the OBD2 port and the back of the cluster but I'm not. But I do get the correct readouts on a Bluetooth OBD2 Code Reader with Live Data.

I have come to a conclusion that it is my Airbag Control Module, PCM, or Gauge Cluster.

For info on outdoor adventures in South Carolina check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 41 Old 02-04-2019, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Ford4Now
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had essentially given up on trying to fix the issue (didn’t feel like chopping up the harness if it wasn’t needed). Unfortunately, the Jeep was due for Connecticut emissions testing and brought it in not thinking a thing. Well the Jeep failed and the guy asked me if I had recently put in a new battery or reset the system because he could not connect or show any recent readings. Is it possible the gauge issue is showing itself here? If so, would a faulty connector on the back of the instrument cluster cause the system to appear as though it was reset? I am thinking of buying a used cluster offline to just throw it in there and test it out, thoughts?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in