INPUT REQUEST - cargo light controller product concept - Page 3 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 Old 08-09-2017, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Once you build it, you'll have a good price point which you can bring back to the discussion and get a more concrete answer from folks. I think it's one of those things that would be worth it for $20, but certainly not for $200, and the real price will probably be somewhere in between.

By the way, you using a mechanical relay or going solid-state?
One thing I can not do here on JF is discuss pricing without a vendor account. I can tell you $20 won't do it.

That's one of the things I haven't quite decided on yet. High amperage handling solid state relays that will live at higher temperatures (like being in a sealed enclosure in the sun) are NOT cheap, although it will come down to how badly I want to keep the footprint down.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-09-2017, 05:52 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
One thing I can not do here on JF is discuss pricing without a vendor account. I can tell you $20 won't do it.

That's one of the things I haven't quite decided on yet. High amperage handling solid state relays that will live at higher temperatures (like being in a sealed enclosure in the sun) are NOT cheap, although it will come down to how badly I want to keep the footprint down.
Not worth getting kicked off for something stupid like that.

If you're only powering a small light or LED, a MOSFET can handle it no problem, and can also handle the heat (just get one rated higher than you expect to go). Shouldn't need a full-blown SSR, I would think.
post #33 of 36 Old 08-09-2017, 08:47 AM
LJ Dave
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't buy it. I have an insta-trunk and if I felt I needed more light in the cargo area, I'd buy a round stick-on LED light. They sell them in a 3 pack at Home Depot for around $6.00. I've had two of them in a storage closet in my basement for about 12 years, still running on the original 3 AAA batteries. Simply touch them to turn them on and off. Very inexpensive and effective solution.

2005 Rubicon LJ 4.5 inches of lift, 35's

post #34 of 36 Old 08-09-2017, 09:34 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ Dave View Post
I wouldn't buy it. I have an insta-trunk and if I felt I needed more light in the cargo area, I'd buy a round stick-on LED light. They sell them in a 3 pack at Home Depot for around $6.00. I've had two of them in a storage closet in my basement for about 12 years, still running on the original 3 AAA batteries. Simply touch them to turn them on and off. Very inexpensive and effective solution.
I was thinking about these. Have a couple in my storage unit. In your application with the insta-trunk the light is right there to punch. But if I didn't have the trunk then where do I mount these that they provide illumination of full back and that I can easily reach them?
post #35 of 36 Old 08-09-2017, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I was thinking about the same thing today while I was standing in the line at the parts store. They had small hex shaped LED lights for $9. The problem with that is where to mount it and having to replace batteries, especially if you accidentally leave it on. And in the case of a soft top TJ without a trunk or the bed of a pickup those things have no IP rating what so ever and I'm sure one good rain would render it a paper weight. Not that I am going to have a lab do testing to certify anything with an IP rating, but I'm going to make sure it can survive the rain.

For me, the convenience of having something that will come on when I open the tailgate and will go off if I forget and leave it on are obviously worth the effort of designing and building this. I'm getting close to the point of ordering components. But, just because it's worth it, and will add quite a bit of convenience and usage for me doesn't mean that applies to anyone else.

Once I get a working model that I am happy with I am going to build six of them; my 2 Jeeps, my truck, two friend's Jeep and another friends truck. Then I can get some real world feedback on if they would have thought it was worth buying and installing if it cost them "X" amount of money and they will do or help me with the install so they will know what that will take.

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #36 of 36 Old 08-15-2017, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just wanted to head back to the front page since the TJ section doesn't get nearly as much through traffic as it used to.

Interesting turn of events - I'm playing with a capacitive touch interface to replace the physical buttons.

-

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in