INPUT REQUEST - cargo light controller product concept - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

INPUT REQUEST - cargo light controller product concept

1st I would like to say this: I am NOT selling anything and will NOT discuss any pricing or ordering information here in this thread or through PM on JF. I do not have a vendor account and do not want to break any rules here.

I am in the designing stages of a product that may or may not end up being marketable depending on what the build cost ends up being.

I would like to get some feeedback here, as TJ owners would be one of my biggest target customer bases.

The idea is simple - an add on cargo light controller.

This will be a "smart" EC unit that will control a cargo light.

There will be a small box that controls the function of the light. The target is 2"x2"x2" or smaller.

The original concept was that the box would contain a magnetic reed switch and would be mounted near the tailgate and a magnet would be mounted on the gate itself. My thought process finally lead me to moving the reed switch outside of the box and having around an 18" cable lead between the two so that the box can be mounted away from the gate opening. I thought this would allow for more flexibility in mounting options.

The function and the design as it currently stands is as such:
- a small control box with a rocker switch and a pushbutton mounted on the outside of the box
- a small reed switch at the end of a permanently connected cable (around 12"-18" long) that will need to be mounted near the tailgate opening.
- a small magnet that will need to be mounted to the gate that will interact with the reed switch when the gate is closed
- four wires will exit the box on the end opposite of the reed switch cable (power in and chassis ground, and light positive and negative)
- the control box will be sealed so as to survive in a topless Jeep, and could also be used in a truck bed
- when you open the tailgate the light will come on
- if you leave the tailgate opened, the light will go off after 10 minutes
- if you close the tailgate while the light is on it will turn off
- any time the light is off you can manually turn it on by pressing the pushbutton, regardless of the position of the tailgate, and it will stay on for 10 minutes and then turn off
- any time the light is on you can manually turn it off by either pressing the pushbutton or toggling the rocker switch
- any time the light is off and you want it on for a longer period of time than the 10 minutes you can toggle the rocker switch and it will come on and stay on for 30 minutes and then turn off

Does anyone see anything in the description or function here that would prevent them from purchasing such a product?

Other thoughts:
The original idea was to just offer the control unit as described and allow the purchaser to chose their own light. This unit can be used to power and control any light up to 5A. This will handle just about any reasonable LED cargo light set up that you would come up with.
But I'm wondering how many people would not buy something like this if it did not include the actual light. So, I considered packaging more of a kit that would include some wiring supplies and a waterproof LED strip and some mounting supplies (or maybe let the buyer come up with their own mounting solution?).
Input on this?
Of course if I go so far as to make a kit I could very well offer the controller on it's own as an option as well.

Is this a product you would consider buying?

Any and all comments are welcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow... 60 views and no one has anything to say?!

-

Quote:
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #3 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 03:57 PM
jwilkinson01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a factory add-a-trunk, and there's been a time or two where I wished I had a light mounted in there since the lid blocks any and all light from the dome light. But this is only when I am camping or out somewhere away from any other light source. I would say the need has never been enough for me to look for a solution. Even though I might put something like that on my "would be nice to have" list, honestly it would be at the end of a very long list. Not sure if that helps or not, just my .02

post #4 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 04:09 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You're wanting to build a switch to control a flashlight other light of probably already has a switch?

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #5 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
You're wanting to build a switch to control a flashlight other light of probably already has a switch?
A flashlight?

No...

A cargo light that is permanently mounted in the vehicle.
Where did you get flashlight?

-

Quote:
post #6 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilkinson01 View Post
I have a factory add-a-trunk, and there's been a time or two where I wished I had a light mounted in there since the lid blocks any and all light from the dome light. But this is only when I am camping or out somewhere away from any other light source. I would say the need has never been enough for me to look for a solution. Even though I might put something like that on my "would be nice to have" list, honestly it would be at the end of a very long list. Not sure if that helps or not, just my .02
One of my TJs has the factory trunk as well and I think having a light back there would be nice as well.

Also, if you're at the back of the Jeep and need to see in the cargo area it's not always convenient to go to the front and turn on the dome lights.

And, if you don't have or removed your speaker pods you don't have dome lights.

-

Quote:
post #7 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
A flashlight?

No...

A cargo light that is permanently mounted in the vehicle.
Where did you get flashlight?
Not sure were I got flashlight. You mentioned not having a light, I would include a light with it.

post #8 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 PM
toximus
Web Wheeler
2004 LJ Wrangler 

So like the GM reel light, but like a kit and mounted in the Jeep?

Building the right way for 37s.
post #9 of 36 Old 08-03-2017, 09:56 PM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not a bad idea.... you might want to offer it with light for a higher cost and without a light for a bit less.
Can see where some folks would like to have that. Me, not really needed as all that's behind the rear seat in mine is an air compressor, tool box and recovery gear. If I need any of that stuff at night there would be a flashlight needed anyway.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35
post #10 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 05:53 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have been thinking of doing a cargo light as well. My plans didn't include the reed switch, or any sort of time delay. I was thinking of a rocker mounted either to the top of the tailgate striker bracket, or to the bottom portion of roll bar. I have my rear seat and belts removed. At the base of the roll bar, the belt attachment point, seems a good location.
My problem is finding a light suitable. I would want this to work with hard, soft, or no top. So the sound bar seems logical point for mounting the light source. My searches on Amazon, & Ebay resulted in nothing to my liking.
If anyone has added cargo lights to their sound bar, I would be interested in a photo or link.

As to the OP's question, just a simple on, off rocker would suit my need's.

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #11 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toximus View Post
So like the GM reel light, but like a kit and mounted in the Jeep?
I was thinking more of a hard mounted light. The installer could put the light on the underside of the roll bar, on the inside lip of the tub edge, or wherever they wanted. Just something to light up the cargo area.

-

Quote:
post #12 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Not a bad idea.... you might want to offer it with light for a higher cost and without a light for a bit less.
That's the direction I was headed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Can see where some folks would like to have that. Me, not really needed as all that's behind the rear seat in mine is an air compressor, tool box and recovery gear. If I need any of that stuff at night there would be a flashlight needed anyway.
Wouldn't you find it much more convenient to have a light that would come on automatically when you open the tailgate and have both of your hands free to get the tools and / or gear you need out.

Seems to me it would be just as handy for people who DD their Jeeps and need to get stuff out of the back after arriving home in the dark after shopping etc.

-

Quote:
post #13 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
I have been thinking of doing a cargo light as well. My plans didn't include the reed switch, or any sort of time delay. I was thinking of a rocker mounted either to the top of the tailgate striker bracket, or to the bottom portion of roll bar. I have my rear seat and belts removed. At the base of the roll bar, the belt attachment point, seems a good location.
My problem is finding a light suitable. I would want this to work with hard, soft, or no top. So the sound bar seems logical point for mounting the light source. My searches on Amazon, & Ebay resulted in nothing to my liking.
If anyone has added cargo lights to their sound bar, I would be interested in a photo or link.

As to the OP's question, just a simple on, off rocker would suit my need's.
How about a flexible strip on the inside edge of the tub inside the cargo area? Would work with any or no top.

If you had the option of it coming on automatically when you open the tailgate an not having to worry about if you leave it on when you do turn it on manually wouldn't you prefer that?

-

Quote:
post #14 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What if it could also be a "flashlight" and used elsewhere.

The switch and bracket were fixed to the roll bar or were ever. The light slide into a bracket where it would be charged. You keep the light there and use it to light the cargo area but if need light elsewhere you pull it out of the bracket and take the light with you.

post #15 of 36 Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What if it could also be a "flashlight" and used elsewhere.

The switch and bracket were fixed to the roll bar or were ever. The light slide into a bracket where it would be charged. You keep the light there and use it to light the cargo area but if need light elsewhere you pull it out of the bracket and take the light with you.

I suppose that would be possible. It would make the whole thing much much more complex and expensive. You'd have to have an external charging supply and control system that would interface with self contained battery powered light. I'm not sure there would be a very big customer base for something that expensive.

-

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in