Info on the RCD 4" Lift Kit.. PLEASE - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 43 Old 05-06-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Info on the RCD 4" Lift Kit.. PLEASE

I want to get a good quality 4 inch kit for a good price. Quadratec has the RCD 4" kit with Bilstien shocks for 900 bucks.. (RCD 4" SUSPENSION LIFT KIT ON QUARATEC) This lift (to me) seems to be a pretty rugged kit with good shock, but i am wondering why i never really hear anything about them on here. If you have any info about these kits, GOOD OR BAD, please let me know.. thanks for the help u guys!!

~JL NICE~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 05-06-2010, 01:00 PM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It's only got lower control arms and they are non adjustable at that. If I was going to buy a 4" lift, personally I would replace all 8 control arms at minimum, and at least have the uppers adjustable to set the pinion angle for a SYE and what not. If you do buy this kit though, don't install the drop pitman arm, it will just mess up your steering
post #3 of 43 Old 05-06-2010, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmcastino View Post
It's only got lower control arms and they are non adjustable at that. If I was going to buy a 4" lift, personally I would replace all 8 control arms at minimum, and at least have the uppers adjustable to set the pinion angle for a SYE and what not. If you do buy this kit though, don't install the drop pitman arm, it will just mess up your steering
do u think i should get this kit or no? i mean it seems like a good deal for 900 bucks.. in your opinion is there a different 4" kit u would recommend ( or anyone for that matter) for under 900 bucks thats great bang for the buck?? let me know!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE..

~JL NICE~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)

post #4 of 43 Old 05-07-2010, 01:15 AM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloo88 View Post
do u think i should get this kit or no? i mean it seems like a good deal for 900 bucks.. in your opinion is there a different 4" kit u would recommend ( or anyone for that matter) for under 900 bucks thats great bang for the buck?? let me know!

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE..
It depends on what your plans are for the Jeep really. If I were in your position, I would stick with the 2" lift you have and maybe add a small body lift (like 1" or 1.25") if your are looking to run like 33" tires or something and save up for one of the higher quality lifts. $900 is kind of a weird spot for short arm lifts in my opinion, you have enough money that I wouldn't waste it one a "budget" lift that you will probably want to replace in the future (like the RCD one, you really want to replace all 8 arms with adjustable ones ideally. Also, those arms should never involve poly bushings if at all possible, they are too stiff and like to stress the control arm mounts, often breaking them.), especially when you already have a little lift already that you can utilize in the mean time. You have saved up enough at this point where you might as well save a little longer and get one of the top of the line kits that will last you indefinitely and perform great. Personally I really like Currie's stuff, their kits are a little pricey, but definitely worth looking into. And if you don't want to shell out the price tag for one of their lifts (it is admittedly about twice the money you currently have budgeted for the lift), I would look into getting the Currie arms (800-900 I believe?) and supplementing them with springs of your choice that may be a little more affordable, and the other things necessary for the lift height you want, basically piecing together your own lift. When it comes to the Jeeps, you really want to do it once and do it right, otherwise you just start replacing and breaking things that end up costing you more money in the long run anyway.

Hope this helps
post #5 of 43 Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

yea man this helps alot.. he only thing is its a DD and im going to be wheelin with it only like on weekends n stuff.. im not going to be doing anything ridiculous.. just like trails, a little mud im sure, but mainly just trails n such.. i just want to do the 4 inch as opposed to three just for the extra clearance (i figure it would look better too). Im going to be running 33's evenutally.. i was looking at the bds 3" kit (BDS) but i figured if im going to go for 3 inches i mind as well do 4 for maybe a little more.. the rcd looked like a pretty rugged kit that will perform well but will also be a nice ride on the road with the bilstein shox all for 900.. let me know what u think.. and again i appreciate the help bro!!

~JL NICE~

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
post #6 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
DanaJeepTech
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You haven't heard anything since this is a relatively new kit. RCD still doesn't have info on it on their own website. The Bilsteins are impressive for a kit at this price. The shocks alone retail for $320. This leaves you with a budget kit just under $600. For a daily driver I am sure it will be fine and you will be happy. I'm actually considering this kit myself. About the only thing I would add are sway bar disconnects and an adjustable track bar. I'm not a fan of drilling the mount and relocating with a bracket on the front. I really like the way this kit is set up since it corrects your steering geometry which reduces shimmy and wobble. Skyjacker Suspension TBA10 - Skyjacker Adjustable Front Track Bar Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift - Quadratec

You can always upgrade your upper and lower control arms in the future if need be. Non-adjustables like the ones found in this kit are designed to compensate the angle of the differential that is being changed from going up 4". When you lift the vehicle via suspension your differential sits at an angle which is pretty close to here they would be at the max of their normal travel. Not a real good place to be for steady driving. The longer lowers put them closer to where they would normally be. Adjustable arms make it so you can fine tune the alignment angles better.
post #7 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Then name of that company kills me RCD(Race car dynamics) we drive jeeps, not Nascars!! I wouldnt want a a "race" car company building my lift lol. But anyway the only impressive thing in that kit is the Bilstien 5100 shocks...nice!! And im pretty sure it only comes with 4 lower control arms, and not to mention the price tag is kinda high for how incomplete the lift is

1998 TJ Sport : Rough Country, MetalCloak,KC, Goodyear, Crager, Alpine, AtoZ, Currie, Aussie

Believe.
post #8 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaJeepTech View Post
You haven't heard anything since this is a relatively new kit. RCD still doesn't have info on it on their own website. The Bilsteins are impressive for a kit at this price. The shocks alone retail for $320. This leaves you with a budget kit just under $600. For a daily driver I am sure it will be fine and you will be happy. I'm actually considering this kit myself. About the only thing I would add are sway bar disconnects and an adjustable track bar. I'm not a fan of drilling the mount and relocating with a bracket on the front. I really like the way this kit is set up since it corrects your steering geometry which reduces shimmy and wobble. Skyjacker Suspension TBA10 - Skyjacker Adjustable Front Track Bar Kit for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 4" Lift - Quadratec

You can always upgrade your upper and lower control arms in the future if need be. Non-adjustables like the ones found in this kit are designed to compensate the angle of the differential that is being changed from going up 4". When you lift the vehicle via suspension your differential sits at an angle which is pretty close to here they would be at the max of their normal travel. Not a real good place to be for steady driving. The longer lowers put them closer to where they would normally be. Adjustable arms make it so you can fine tune the alignment angles better.
Yea i mean like i said above, im not going to be doing anything rediculously crazy off-road wise, but i do want to do some wheeling for sure.. this tj is my daily driver but i also want it to be a nice looking/performing off road machine. Im not rich so everything i buy has to be saved up for a bit before i get it.. since its not going to be doing anything ridiculous like rock crawling n such, i feel i dont need to spend thousands on a lift kit.. i was going to do a 3 inch bds(and still may), but i figured i would shop around for a 4 since im already going to be doing 3. (opinion?).. this rcd kit does look great but i obv wanted to my research on it before.. plus my question is: if they make top of the line truck lift kits, why wouldnt make a great jeep lift kit?? If i go to a 4 inch kit, do i need to get an sye/cv ds right away? or will a t-case drop kit take care of that?? im still learning..
if i was going to upgrade control arms it would prob be in the future but i can def see that happening..

Thanks for the reply man.. i appreciate it!! Im still learning and i need all the help i can get..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 View Post
Then name of that company kills me RCD(Race car dynamics) we drive jeeps, not Nascars!! I wouldnt want a a "race" car company building my lift lol. But anyway the only impressive thing in that kit is the Bilstien 5100 shocks...nice!! And im pretty sure it only comes with 4 lower control arms, and not to mention the price tag is kinda high for how incomplete the lift is
The name is a little wierd, but they apparently make some of the best truck lift kits out there.. Why wouldnt they make a great jeep lift kit.. plus with the bilstein shocks, idk im def thinking about it!!

~JL NICE~

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
post #9 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Jeepzcb09
1998 TJ Wrangler 

"The name is a little wierd, but they apparently make some of the best truck lift kits out there.. Why wouldnt they make a great jeep lift kit.. plus with the bilstein shocks, idk im def thinking about it!![/QUOTE]"

Ya idk the name just strickes me wierd, but it dosent look like abad kit i just think for that price you could do a little better. For example the lift i have: The Rough Country 4in "X" kit. It comes with all 8 Adjustable control arms that are rebuildable,greaseable, and flexable. Also front sway bar discos, front adjustable track bar, shocks(nothin special) and etc. for $999.99. IMO the best bang for the buck. Just my opinion though.

1998 TJ Sport : Rough Country, MetalCloak,KC, Goodyear, Crager, Alpine, AtoZ, Currie, Aussie

Believe.
post #10 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepzcb09 View Post
"The name is a little wierd, but they apparently make some of the best truck lift kits out there.. Why wouldnt they make a great jeep lift kit.. plus with the bilstein shocks, idk im def thinking about it!!
"

Ya idk the name just strickes me wierd, but it dosent look like abad kit i just think for that price you could do a little better. For example the lift i have: The Rough Country 4in "X" kit. It comes with all 8 Adjustable control arms that are rebuildable,greaseable, and flexable. Also front sway bar discos, front adjustable track bar, shocks(nothin special) and etc. for $999.99. IMO the best bang for the buck. Just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

idk im hearing bad things about the rc kits.. idk if it just the springs or w/e but.. dont they have a pretty eh kind of a product?? just asking, idk.. do u have a link for that kit??

~JL NICE~

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
post #11 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Cavitation
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

I believe this is the RC kit spoken of. I have had great luck so far with my 3.25 kit. This stuff is not top of the line but what do you want for less right.

AL
post #12 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavitation View Post
Jeep TJ Suspension Lift

I believe this is the RC kit spoken of. I have had great luck so far with my 3.25 kit. This stuff is not top of the line but what do you want for less right.

AL
yea i def feel you.. im just trying to find the best quality product for that "less amount." just trying to do my research.. i have only heard tht the rc springs sag easily and the shocks r not that good.. but im well open for suggestions!! im still learing all this lol..

~JL NICE~

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
post #13 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 09:45 PM
DanaJeepTech
2002 TJ Wrangler 

4 inches is the max you want to go with out installing a slip yoke eliminator. You can drop the t-case or raise the engine to keep the driveline angle in check with out it. Most prefer the engine lift so they don't lose ground clearance. Any 3 inch lift with a 1 inch body lift should do the trick for you if you are just looking to clear 33's without hitting. If your main conern is taking out a fender, don't disconnect the sway bar. This will keep your diffs from fully articulating which means they won't travel as far.
post #14 of 43 Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
jloo88

1998 TJ Wrangler 

well i mean i was going to try and stay away from the body lift because i thought they were no good.. i want to put 33x12.5's on and i would also like to look sweet lol.. 4 inch suspensions lift seemed to be the best way to do that.. plus the larger springs n such off-road i figured would perform better than the 3" plus BL.
However, because i dont do anything ridiculous off-road, i didnt want to have to get to the point where i need to spend almost another g just to run this setup of 4" and 33's with sye's and cv ds.. but, if i NEED to then i will def research more.. thats what i want to figure out.. u have def helped and i hope im not being redundant with my responses lol.. just trying to get u inside my head more lol..
im just thinking i would LIKE to run a 4 inch suspension lift with 33's and learn if that is stupid of me to want that or if its doable without have to go all through all the extra trouble (at least right away) that goes along with this desire lol.. i hope that made sense..

~JL NICE~

/l ,[_____],
l---L-OlllllllO-
()_)-()_)--o--)_)
post #15 of 43 Old 05-09-2010, 01:42 AM
Dmcastino
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
idk im hearing bad things about the rc kits.. idk if it just the springs or w/e but.. dont they have a pretty eh kind of a product?? just asking, idk.. do u have a link for that kit??
The Rough Country kit would be a much better choice in my opinion. To me, the only thing I really like about the RCD kit is the Bilsteins.

Quote:
yea i def feel you.. im just trying to find the best quality product for that "less amount." just trying to do my research.. i have only heard tht the rc springs sag easily and the shocks r not that good.. but im well open for suggestions!! im still learing all this lol..
I've been perfectly happy with my shocks and springs personally. I actually hooked up a 22' Centurion Elite Wakeboard/Ski boat yesterday to pull it out of the water (only pulled it around the parking lot, no way I was going to try and tow it anywhere ). With all the weight of the stuff in the boat and the trailer weight and what not, I would guess the boat weighed somewhere around 4500 pounds. I don't have the pictures on my computer yet, but I took pics of the weigh the Jeep sat with the boat on it and I still had several inches of clearance over the rear tires (33"x10.5" tires) with my 2.5" RC lift with a 1.25" body lift. I have had this setup for almost a year no and have no complaints.

Quote:
well i mean i was going to try and stay away from the body lift because i thought they were no good.. i want to put 33x12.5's on and i would also like to look sweet lol.. 4 inch suspensions lift seemed to be the best way to do that.. plus the larger springs n such off-road i figured would perform better than the 3" plus BL.
However, because i dont do anything ridiculous off-road, i didnt want to have to get to the point where i need to spend almost another g just to run this setup of 4" and 33's with sye's and cv ds.. but, if i NEED to then i will def research more.. thats what i want to figure out.. u have def helped and i hope im not being redundant with my responses lol.. just trying to get u inside my head more lol..
im just thinking i would LIKE to run a 4 inch suspension lift with 33's and learn if that is stupid of me to want that or if its doable without have to go all through all the extra trouble (at least right away) that goes along with this desire lol.. i hope that made sense..
-3" body lifts are no good, small body lifts around 1" are just fine and are actually pretty necessary for certain things like high clearance skid plates
-You COULD run a t-case drop, but those are annoying. They look bad, they make shifting harder, mess with transfer case linkage, and kill ground clearance. Otherwise you will need the SYE, driveshaft, and a set of adjustable rear upper control arms, because without the adjustable uppers, you can't set the pinion angle for the SYE/Driveshaft. For me, the SYE, driveshaft, and uppers were about $525
-A 4" suspension lift and 33"s isn't a stupid thing to want, but personally its not something I would want to do by trying to scrape by with marginal at best kits, because I know after a week I wouldn't be happy with the results and would want to start replacing parts with the better stuff haha. For what its worth, I would suggest for the sake of price to go with something like what I have, you will get the look you want and the whole suspension setup including the MML only ran me $425 at most.

Tags
4 inch , info , lift kit , rcd lift kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in