2000 TJ Wrangler 

Increase temperature at highway speeds

I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0 6cyl
Manual 5 speed.
Sitting 33's
4.10 gears
Factory A/C.

I have a concern about my jeep running hot while driving at highway speeds.
Around town temp is 210. Get on the highway and the temp goes up to 220-230 and will continue to climb, no matter if the A/C is on or not.

I have replaced the following:
New 180 degree thermostat
New water pump
New 3 core brass radiator
Went from a 5 blade fan to a 7 blade fan"
I even removed the inner fender skirts to get more airflow in and let heat out.
Clutch for fan seems to be ok, but I have a new one to try out.

Now I am having an issue of not enough power while driving at highway speeds.
Last summer I was able to drive down the freeway at 70+ in 5th gear no problem with plenty of throttle to spare.
Now, the throttle is floored and the jeep will not hold 70 in 5th gear. Holds 65 in 4th and will eventually climb in speed

I just uncorked the Catalytic converter, but I saw no difference in my temperature or in the performance going down the highway.

Not sure if these will have made any difference at all, but I have installed a Dave's Rack and a new winch. Some added weight, but I wouldn't think those would cause this issue.

Looking for what route to go from here. What else should I try?

HELP, starting to get really frustrated because I had plans for the rig this summer !!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-09-2015, 09:42 PM
btn

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's the brass radiator. You need the stock single-row aluminum one. Better heat transfer due to more coolant surface area exposure. I had a brass one for a bit too, learned that lesson.

2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" suspension lift, 35s, rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs. AX15, 4:1 T-case.
post #3 of 33 Old 06-09-2015, 09:43 PM
Cuder

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Check the lower radiator hose when you rev the engine up to about 3k rmp's. I have heard about it collapsing and not letting water flow as it should. Some hose have a coil in them to keep this from happening and the coil corrodes away.

My Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old 06-09-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
paintlover70
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I was having the issue before I switched to the brass radiator.

I will definitely try the lower radiator hose to see if that works.
post #5 of 33 Old 06-10-2015, 02:50 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintlover70 View Post
New water pump
The thermostat should be 195 degrees and not a fail safe one.

Brass radiators bring the suck, your radiator only has one core, no mater how many rows it has.

Where did you get and what make is this 7 blade fan from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder View Post
Check the lower radiator hose when you rev the engine up to about 3k rmp's. I have heard about it collapsing and not letting water flow as it should. Some hose have a coil in them to keep this from happening and the coil corrodes away.
The coil spring in the lower radiator coolant hose is a thing of the past and is no longer installed in the newer coolant hoses. Besides, the cooling system has up to and including 18 psi and I doubt that would allow any coolant hose to collapse under normal operating temperatures. Internal coolant hose delamination can occur and cause coolant flow blockage if its acting as a flapper valve.
Quote:
I was having the issue before I switched to the brass radiator.

I will definitely try the lower radiator hose to see if that works.
Post back as to what you find...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 AM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I own a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport
4.0 6cyl
Manual 5 speed.
Sitting 33's
4.10 gears
Factory A/C.

I have a concern about my jeep running hot while driving at highway speeds.
Around town temp is 210. Get on the highway and the temp goes up to 220-230 and will continue to climb, no matter if the A/C is on or not.

New water pump
Clutch for fan seems to be ok, but I have a new one to try out.

Now I am having an issue of not enough power while driving at highway speeds.
Last summer I was able to drive down the freeway at 70+ in 5th gear no problem with plenty of throttle to spare.
Now, the throttle is floored and the jeep will not hold 70 in 5th gear. Holds 65 in 4th and will eventually climb in speed

I just uncorked the Catalytic converter, but I saw no difference in my temperature or in the performance going down the highway.

Not sure if these will have made any difference at all, but I have installed a Dave's Rack and a new winch. Some added weight, but I wouldn't think those would cause this issue.

Looking for what route to go from here. What else should I try?

HELP, starting to get really frustrated because I had plans for the rig this summer !!!!
You have several things wrong. You can fix at it or you can fix it, up to you but you need to put that brass radiator in the scrap pile and get an OEM version from the DEALER as a start.

While you are there, pick up the thermostat for you rig.

Before you swap all this back in, do a cooling system flush. Buy it, dump it in, drive around a couple of days according to the instructions. Flush with hose water until you get clear water out of the radiator. Do the last fill and flush with distilled water.

After that, swap in the new parts and toss that 7 blade fan unless you have the specific fan clutch for it.

Mix your coolant to the 60/40 level due to the water left in the block so you wind up at 50/50.

Make sure fan shroud is there, intact, and good.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then we will know what it isn't.

For the record, I get this exact same question with minor variations about once a month via email, I give the same solution and the owners write back thanking me for solving their problem even after they have put a big winch in front of the radiator.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #7 of 33 Old 06-11-2015, 02:26 AM
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I would add Blaine is for him to make sure he using a MOPAR fan clutch. The Hayden's and the like do not have the proper resistance and will let a rig run hot. I learned that the hard way years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
post #8 of 33 Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 PM
bozsh132
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would check both rad hoses as someone else suggested, but also check your belt tension... I threw a belt awhile back and didn't have the new one tight enough, it caused all kinds of problems due to the belt slipping.
post #9 of 33 Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
The only thing I would add Blaine is for him to make sure he using a MOPAR fan clutch. The Hayden's and the like do not have the proper resistance and will let a rig run hot. I learned that the hard way years ago.
Read the post again, he is having heating issues at highway speed, no fan required, but a 7 blade will add an air flow restriction as it blocks air going through the radiator core. It does sound like his winch installation may be blocking air flow. I don't see where it was posted if he has an automatic transmission that maybe the converter isn't locking up, this will cause a lot of heat distribution to the cooling system. Around town 210 is normal indicating the fan is working and it should not go over that on the highway.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-11-2015, 11:27 PM
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsmke View Post
Read the post again, he is having heating issues at highway speed, no fan required, but a 7 blade will add an air flow restriction as it blocks air going through the radiator core. It does sound like his winch installation may be blocking air flow. I don't see where it was posted if he has an automatic transmission that maybe the converter isn't locking up, this will cause a lot of heat distribution to the cooling system. Around town 210 is normal indicating the fan is working and it should not go over that on the highway.
We've been through this dozens of times sir. Increase in temps at highway speed is nearly always indicative of a crap radiator. We see it all the time when the "upgraded" 3 row brass and copper radiators are swapped in.

I also currently run the 7 blade fan on Kat's 01 with the appropriate Mopar fan clutch and it is flawless. On the same rig I've also swapped in a "upgraded" 3 row brass and copper and Kat couldn't run the AC at highway speed without overheating. The only change I made was to go back to the Mopar version and it is flawless.

I only offered up the rest of the solution because he may as well while he has it apart. They won't solve the problem though.

I had a guy couple of months ago contact me to purchase a cooler so he could move some crap from in front of his radiator due to his new Warn Powerplant winch blocking airflow. (he thought)

I walked him through the above advice I gave, had him toss the all metal radiator and go back to OEM. He called me back and said he can run the AC full blast in Phoenix with no issues now.

I don't doubt most of what you're advising, but I'll put money on his radiator being the biggest contributor to the problem.

I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
Knowledge does not equal understanding.
post #11 of 33 Old 06-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't understand how the 7 blade fan with a functional fan clutch would restrict air flow going through the radiator at highway speed. Even if the 7 blade fan and fan clutch weren't from the OEM TSB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I also currently run the 7 blade fan on Kat's 01 with the appropriate Mopar fan clutch and it is flawless.
Same here, some of us were lucky to get that fan and fan clutch before its production was discontinued. I know that when I ordered mine there were a few clutches available and only one OEM 7 blade fan that had to come from Phoenix AZ.

I tried to get ahold of another one but they were discontinued and no longer available. This was back in 06 or 07...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #12 of 33 Old 06-12-2015, 09:35 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
I don't understand how the 7 blade fan with a functional fan clutch would restrict air flow going through the radiator at highway speed. Even if the 7 blade fan and fan clutch weren't from the OEM TSB

Same here, some of us were lucky to get that fan and fan clutch before its production was discontinued. I know that when I ordered mine there were a few clutches available and only one OEM 7 blade fan that had to come from Phoenix AZ.

I tried to get ahold of another one but they were discontinued and no longer available. This was back in 06 or 07...
If you have a shroud the more blades at the backside of it toward the engine do reduce air flow. Airflow is provided by the vehicle’s movement down the road (ram air effect) and/or cooling fans. If the heat goes up as you increase highway speed you have one or more of the following, radiator too small, poor design or compromised by a dirty system, something reducing the air flow that is generated by the vehicle speed either behind the radiator or in front of it, a slipping automatic transmission or lack of a lockup converter, water pump that the impeller has become detached from the shaft or the impeller has rotted away, hoses that collapse or the cooling system is not pressurized as it was designed.
Rarely but sometimes engine timing and or lean fuel mixture will cause overheating, something that computerized engines are designed to avoid.
post #13 of 33 Old 06-13-2015, 01:13 AM
Knuckelhead
R.I.P. Knuckelhead

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If you have a shroud the more blades at the backside of it toward the engine do reduce air flow.
Nope, the only way that would happen is if the fan clutch had failed and not spinning the fan at its designed speed.

I have more shroud than most:

Which also keeps those pesky little bugs that come through the radiator from getting splattered on the bottom side of the hood...

Gone but not forgotten.
post #14 of 33 Old 06-13-2015, 08:33 AM
Robert J. yates
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You need to take your own advice about re-reading things. I don't care whether it's the 5 blade or 7 blade fan.....BTDT on my rig but if the fan clutch is incorrect then the truck may run hot on the freeway. You can surmise that it's all sorts of problems to your hearts content but there are a few people on this thread that have struggled with having TJ's that like to run hot. Some of us actually live in a desert and on my truck.... Using the 5 blade fan AND a Mopar fan clutch is what works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samgm2 View Post
And yes, I am an exceptional scientist and engineer.
post #15 of 33 Old 06-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Partsmke
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J. yates View Post
You need to take your own advice about re-reading things. I don't care whether it's the 5 blade or 7 blade fan.....BTDT on my rig but if the fan clutch is incorrect then the truck may run hot on the freeway. You can surmise that it's all sorts of problems to your hearts content but there are a few people on this thread that have struggled with having TJ's that like to run hot. Some of us actually live in a desert and on my truck.... Using the 5 blade fan AND a Mopar fan clutch is what works.
Whatever works that keeps the engine from overheating is what we all want to know about, so that we can resolve the issue. Jeep did not fail in the design of the TJ cooling system, so if you are having heating issues something has wornout, plugged up or is failing. Is there a consensus of opinion that has been reached that works every time? No, because it can be anything from a plugged cat, pcm issues, lockup not working (auto trans only) to either or both limited or block water or air flow.
Using the 5 blade fan AND a Mopar fan clutch is what works.[/QUOTE] works for you, 7 blade works for others and you are both right because you don't have an overheating issue. I'm only trying to address the issue, my TJ runs at 210 no matter what speed on streets and highways, the ambient temp yesterday was 105, engine temp stayed @210 at 70mph, it has stock fan clutch, 5 blade fan and a 3 row cooper brass radiator(it was there when I bought the Jeep).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in