Ignition Switch Pin Actuator repair. - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 Old 06-07-2012, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition Switch Pin Actuator repair.

When I searched I found tons of people with the same problem. I wanted to post the video Dorman made for the fix. The nut gobblers at the dealer will say you need to replace the whole steering column. Lucky for us Dorman did a little research and helped us out.

I started the Jeep up heading to work, and thought the key turned funny. After the other crew left at shift change I went to move the Jeep since my station doesn't have enough parking spots when both crews are there. I turned the key and nothing happend. The rotation was off as well.

To pull it apart you will need

Phillips screw driver.
T-10 Security bit (center hole).
T-20 bit.
Driver for above bits.

When I pulled it apart I found one of the stupidest designs ever.

Broken part and Box (number) for replacment from NAPA.

In a jam you could start your rig with a flat head screw driver once the above part is out.

Promo video from Dorman with step by step instructions.

http://youtu.be/W5m31g0-3wI

I hope that helps the next poor sucker that gets stuck someplace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 84 Old 06-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Cuder

2000 TJ Wrangler 

How much was it at NAPA? I got one off a Cherokee for $5.

My Build Thread:

post #3 of 84 Old 06-07-2012, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Benderff
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuder
How much was it at NAPA? I got one off a Cherokee for $5.
$30. Having an XJ around to rob parts from would have been nice.

post #4 of 84 Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Necko2529

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Bender, bookmarked for "when you need it you can't find it" reasons.

Rokmen TT, Rokmen control arms, Novak NV241 cable shifter, JKS 1.25" BL + 1" MML.

Anybody can take advice if it doesn't interfere with their plan.

RIP "Prescott 19" Prescott Fire Department
post #5 of 84 Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In case something happens to your computer or you are away from it if you need to replace the part, Rockauto have that video linked from the part detail for the pin.
post #6 of 84 Old 10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
purplepig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I just went to the dealership to buy an ignition switch and the guy told me I actually need the actuator. My symptoms are no turn signals, radio, wipers, etc. Did anyone else have these symptoms?
post #7 of 84 Old 10-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

If when you turn the key does everything else work especially does the starter engages when all the way to the start position? If yes, then you don’t need an actuator pin. You are right, you need the switch. You can get one at a parts store instead of the dealer if you want. They like to sell you on the actuator pin because as stated above & unless things have changed recently the actuator pin is not sold at the dealer as a separate part, they only sell it as part of the complete steering column. I’ve seen it posted that that column is like $700. I’m guessing that the column also includes the ignition switch. If so & they sell you the $700 column (including the part you actually need) & you or they install it your wipers, signals, & radio will work & problem solved! You would never know all you needed was a $30 part! When you take the switch out you will have the pin out so give it a good look. They are known to crack or break & usually that symptom is you can’t get the starter to engage. You may decide to replace it as a preventive measure.
post #8 of 84 Old 10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
purplepig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If when you turn the key does everything else work especially does the starter engages when all the way to the start position?
There have been a few times lately when it didn't start, but I assumed that was another issue.?
Quote:
they only sell it as part of the complete steering column. I’ve seen it posted that that column is like $700. I’m guessing that the column also includes the ignition switch. If so & they sell you the $700 column
This is true but they did tell me I can by just the part at Carquest. They even looked up the part number for me. LOL
I may just pick up the actuator and the switch at Carquest tomorrow so that I have both of them when I take it apart to investigate. Thanks for the reply. From everything I have read it does seem like the switch and not the actuator, though.
post #9 of 84 Old 10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, the 3 things you mention are the 3 things that work both in the on & acc. position so the use a separate set of contacts inside the switch & seem to have gone bad. Sometimes they might work in acc. but not in the on position. I have to give that dealer credit for not selling the high price column unnecessarily.
post #10 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 01:19 PM
tommytj

I'm not sure if I have an issue with my actuator pin or not. When I turn the key, I do hear a click that comes from the fuse panel behind the glove box, which I think is the starter relay. Since I hear this click (it only clicks once each time I turn the key), can the actuator pin be an issue for me?

Just trying to diagnose where to turn next as I've now replaced my battery and starter and still can't get it to start without a push start...

Thanks...
post #11 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Its not the starter relay. The starter relay is in the PDC in front of the battery. The clicking you hear, is it when you turn the key on but not to the start position?
post #12 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM
tommytj

thanks for the response. I hear a single click that comes from the glove box area. I hear the click when I turn the key all the way to the start position.
post #13 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK then the actuator pin is probably good or you wouldn't get anything in the start position. No profile filled out so I don't know enough to advise further. yr, trans????
post #14 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 02:13 PM
tommytj

sorry, I have an 06 LJ w/ 6 speed stick...that what I was thinking, since I get the click when the key is turned, the actuator pin is probably ok since something's getting the signal that I'm turning the key to start the engine...
post #15 of 84 Old 12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Probably the clutch interlock switch. It is near the clutch pedal. Try jumping between the 2 wires. (yellow/orange & black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in